Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times

Advertisements

She implied no such thing. She talked about "when demonstrations like this occur". I.e. when people show up peacefully and display something that is probably offensive to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, she did not. But according to her post, she implied we should be "tolerant" of their actions. Otherwise, we'd be "hypocrites."

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
She implied no such thing. She talked about "when demonstrations like this occur". I.e. when people show up peacefully and display something that is probably offensive to others.
Hmm, maybe you should go back and read her first line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why is it that everyone stresses tolerance and yet, when demonstrations like this occur, exercise absolutely no tolerance
The opposite of "exercising...no tolerance" would be to BE TOLERANT. And just a side note- 9/11 was certainly a "demonstration" of hatred and intolerance.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I don't understand. How could anyone expect anyone else to be tolerant of a group that signifies the slaughter of six million Jews? The act is intolerable and the group is intolerable.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
For all the discussion on whether you should say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas and whether or not schools should have Christmas Parties or Holiday Parties.... This happens:

Masked men with Nazi flags disrupt Menorah lighting - Connecticut Postings - Connecticut News

So perhaps, think twice before denying there is Christian Hegemony, a need for more understanding of minority groups or antisemitism in Fairfield County. This shocked me. To be clear, I, in no way, believe Christianity is to blame for this, however, this type of thing happens when Minorities are marginalized...

These are some real mental cases.
I think it's safe to say the Nazis are the ones in the minority not the Jews.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What makes you think Nazi's are Christians?
Good question. It's probably an unfair assumption. However, most KKK members are "church-goers." Hopefully mainstream Christianity would "reject" their membership

Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Default What!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why is it that everyone stresses tolerance and yet, when demonstrations like this occur, exercise absolutely no tolerance?
Not that I agree with the demonstrators but I think that the negative labels ("disgusting," "sick," etc.) are a bit excessive. I have never understood why people respond to hatred with hatred, or to a lack of tolerance with a lack of tolerance; I find it a bit hypocritical.
In fact, a lot of these posts sound exactly like many of the groups that they are "disgusted" with, employing the exact same language that these groups use when speaking about racial and ethnic minorities.
Tolerance does not include indulging hate and those who advocate violence. This is a group that has no positive involvement in or benefit to society. Tolerance is taught with differences. You should tolerate (and perhaps even be kind to) those with different religious views, those who or born in a different country and those who do not speak English as a first language. Tolerance as in don't make life more difficult them... Don't insult... Don't advocate violence towards... Treat as an equal... Do no harm... Not tolerance as in "Become best friends with...."

However groups like neo-Nazis are not to be "tolerated" simply for having a different view point. Their only purpose is to propagate violence and hate. Not something we want or desire in society. So no, tolerance, is not warranted or advocated here.

When people are accused of being intolerant towards hate groups, I am reminded of a Glen Beckesque attempt to coopt the meaning of tolerance to apply to those who preach it-- By stating that intolerance of hate is the same as intolerance of African Americans, for example. It's feeble semantic baloney. Don't feed in to it or propagate it as if the point is valid.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
A staunch conservative in America is far more likely to have support for the actions of Israel and its military than a staunch liberal. You trying to connect these idiots to a conservative grassroots organization mounting a protest against massive government spending on account of the democratic president and congress is insane.
True... The conservative lobby has been much more supportive of Israel than the liberals. And that's fine. There are a growing number of American Jews who don't support the current Israeli governments efforts and support a more consiliatory peace process.

Support of Israel politically is not the same as supporting / deriding anti-semitic hate on our shores. I'm not sure the issues are even related.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Just curious; why are those words capitalized?
Typo. Only Christian should have been capitalized.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Some friends of mine in Trumbull have mentioned that there are Bridgeport children attending Trumbull schools---they use the Trumbull address of friends/relatives to get in. It could account for some of the minorities attending Trumbull schools.
Not to drift the discussion since it seems to have gotten back on-topic, but I can believe that. The almost-as-crappy (as compared to NYC) "bordering the City" school districts in southern Westchester (i.e. Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon) get kids from the Bronx doing that all the time, and I've even (more similar to a Bridgeport vs. Trumbull comparison) heard of kids in those 3 districts doing it in Pelham (for those not in the know, a very rich "elitist" public school district in that area surrounded on all sides by poorer "urban" ones, quite an anomoly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
A staunch conservative in America is far more likely to have support for the actions of Israel and its military than a staunch liberal. You trying to connect these idiots to a conservative grassroots organization mounting a protest against massive government spending on account of the democratic president and congress is insane.
Many (not all, no flames here) of those conservatives are fairly if not quite anti-Semitic and support Israel for very different reasons that have nothing to do with helping Jews. Usually it is either because they see supporting Israel as way to help the US stop Islamic terrorism (which I can mostly agree with even if I wish the support was for reasons beyond that, Israel is a bulwark against it, not just militarily but in terms of intelligence) or if they are the "evangelical Christian right", it is because they need for a Jewish state of Israel to exist for the Second Coming to happen and if somehow Israel became a "bi-national" state or lost it's Jewish character by losing a war, it eliminates that prophecy from happening in our lifetime. Many (not all again) of those evangelicals also preach reaching out to "convert" Jews so it's really hypocritical. As a Jew whose father was a kid in Europe who came to this country just before WW II, I find this kind of thinking outrageous

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 12-16-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 05:12 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
True... The conservative lobby has been much more supportive of Israel than the liberals. And that's fine. There are a growing number of American Jews who don't support the current Israeli governments efforts and support a more consiliatory peace process.

Support of Israel politically is not the same as supporting / deriding anti-semitic hate on our shores. I'm not sure the issues are even related.
your connection of the neo-nazis to the tea party people is insane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut