Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

The same thing was going on at the Buckland Mall a few years ago. Parents used to just drop their kids off with little or no money for the evening on the weekends. It was no surprise that vandalism, shoplifting, fights, etc. became a problem.

Many of the parents didn't want to know about the problems because they were happy with the fact that they found something to do for their kids to get them out of their hair for a few hours (reality).

There were news stories that the mall was stepping up security, limiting the ability of kids to hang out, etc.

I don't know if it is still a problem because I haven't been to Buckland Mall on a Friday or Saturday night in a few years.

I do know that several people go to nearby Evergreen Walk on the weekends and haven't seen or heard of any teen problems there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I read on Ctpost.com that they are publishing a story Sunday in the paper about several Ct. malls, and the problems they have with teens.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The same thing was going on at the Buckland Mall a few years ago. Parents used to just drop their kids off with little or no money for the evening on the weekends. It was no surprise that vandalism, shoplifting, fights, etc. became a problem.

Many of the parents didn't want to know about the problems because they were happy with the fact that they found something to do for their kids to get them out of their hair for a few hours (reality).

There were news stories that the mall was stepping up security, limiting the ability of kids to hang out, etc.

I don't know if it is still a problem because I haven't been to Buckland Mall on a Friday or Saturday night in a few years.

I do know that several people go to nearby Evergreen Walk on the weekends and haven't seen or heard of any teen problems there.
The Buckland mall has gotten better on Fri/Sat night, but I still won't go near it. Last time I was there about 6 months ago, arrests, chaos, "thugs" hand cuffed being held against the railings, security teams running around etc. It was a freakin zoo. My wife and I walked out.

The problem with the Manchester mall is it has direct bus service to Hartford, and that's the traffic they get on Fri/Sat night...ghetto thugs.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I read on Ctpost.com that they are publishing a story Sunday in the paper about several Ct. malls, and the problems they have with teens.
I'm not surprised. As a middle school teacher I often hear the kids talk about their plans for or what they did on the weekends. Their escapades at the mall and movie theaters are deplorable.

Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if a parent leaves their teen at a mall with little or no money they are most likely to get into trouble.

Lake Compounce and Six Flags are other problem zones. A $65 season pass and you've got a great place to send your kid for the whole summer. Many parents take turns dropping off large groups of kids early in the morning and picking them up late in the afternoon or evening.

I know for a fact that many give their kids little or no money for food. Lake Compounce has free soda and the kids drink free soda all day with little or no food.

The weekends are even worse. Things used to be a lot better when a season pass only allowed 6 visits. If you wanted more you had to buy another pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut