Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 16,807 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm going to be working in NYC this summer. I currently live in Oxford, CT which borders Seymour (for those who don't know where oxford is). I realize I'm going to have a long trip to work every day, but this is an 8 week internship that I simply could not pass up. With that being said, what would be my best options as far as train stations / parking?

Thus far I've looked into Fairfield, Bridgeport, and Milford. The only other station I've heard about but haven't yet looked into is Stratford. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
It will probably be tough but since it's only for 8 weeks it shouldn't be too draining. Honestly, I'd suggest Fairfield but because of the parking situation, I'd go with Bridgeport. Also, isn't there an express Waterbury line train to Manhattan each morning? I could be wrong.

Will you be getting a ride to the station or will you be driving yourself?

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It will probably be tough but since it's only for 8 weeks it shouldn't be too draining. Honestly, I'd suggest Fairfield but because of the parking situation, I'd go with Bridgeport.

Will you be getting a ride to the station or will you be driving yourself?

Also, isn't there an express Waterbury line train to Manhattan each morning? I could be wrong.
I am going to be driving myself, and I just looked into the parking situation at Fairfield, I think its safe to say I won't be able to obtain a spot by this summer. I'm looking into both Bridgeport and Waterbury right now, thanks for the response!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle9518 View Post
I am going to be driving myself, and I just looked into the parking situation at Fairfield, I think its safe to say I won't be able to obtain a spot by this summer. I'm looking into both Bridgeport and Waterbury right now, thanks for the response!
Bridgeport is probably best because it's not a small town station. But people who do commute to the city from Easton, Trumbull, Monroe, Oxford and areas up that way will use Bridgeport most likely, so I won't say it's going to be empty. Just saying that it will be less crowded than Milford, Fairfield or Stratford.

Keep in mind that due to towns in the Valley growing rapidly traffic on Rt 8 has increased significantly, so sometimes it's stop and go between exit 19 in Seymour and the Commodore-Hull Bridge in Derby. If you can hit it before 7am you should be fine however.

Do you know what time you'll have to be in the office by, and is it located near Grand Central?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Bridgeport is probably best because it's not a small town station. But people who do commute to the city from Easton, Trumbull, Monroe, Oxford and areas up that way will use Bridgeport most likely, so I won't say it's going to be empty. Just saying that it will be less crowded than Milford, Fairfield or Stratford.

Keep in mind that due to towns in the Valley growing rapidly traffic on Rt 8 has increased significantly, so sometimes it's stop and go between exit 19 in Seymour and the Commodore-Hull Bridge in Derby. If you can hit it before 7am you should be fine however.

Do you know what time you'll have to be in the office by, and is it located near Grand Central?
Interesting, I'm shooting to be in the office by 8:30am, the office is located between 37th and 38th street on Broadway (it was about a 10-15 minute walk from grandcentral)

Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I'm shooting to be in the office by 8:30am, the office is located between 37th and 38th street on Broadway (it was about a 10-15 minute walk from grandcentral)
You can actually take the early train from Seymour (leaves at 6:18 am) and there's a transfer at Stamford, which arrives at 8:16 in Grand Central. That would cut down on your driving time to the station significantly and you wouldn't have to worry about traffic on RT 8 or fighting for spots along the New Haven line. It would give you plenty of downtime to read a magazine, pop open a laptop or listen to your Ipod. Just another option.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
You can actually take the early train from Seymour (leaves at 6:18 am) and there's a transfer at Stamford, which arrives at 8:16 in Grand Central. That would cut down on your driving time to the station significantly and you wouldn't have to worry about traffic on RT 8 or fighting for spots along the New Haven line. It would give you plenty of downtime to read a magazine, pop open a laptop or listen to your Ipod. Just another option.
Interesting i didn't consider that as an option. My only question is will there be any seats left on the train once i get on in Stamford?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting i didn't consider that as an option. My only question is will there be any seats left on the train once i get on in Stamford?
Good question but I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone on the boards who makes the commute can let you know. I know there are a few who post here that commute daily to Grand Central.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Good question but I don't know the answer. Perhaps someone on the boards who makes the commute can let you know. I know there are a few who post here that commute daily to Grand Central.
sounds good I'll try and keep this thread bumped for an answer, i appreciate all the info you've contributed.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
A lot of people get off the trains in Stamford so you should be able to find a seat when you switch trains. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut