Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,163 times

Advertisements

In my experience IPODS are far more reliable. Several yrs. ago I bought my wife a RCA MP3 and it took a crap in the first month - replaced it with a sony - it took a crap in a few months - she has had an IPOD for several years and mostly uses it while running hiking exercising. Both my kids have had IPODS for years while dropping them banging them around leaving them on the floor, sitting on them etc. My daughters IPOD made it through 2 serious car accidents (roll over and a head on) and still works fine - the only thing she doesn't like is that it is very dated and has minimal storage as it is very technologically obsolete compared to the new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
I have owned both an ipod and another type of mp3 player and for my needs, both of them did the job. I like that Sansa view that I now have and I can just drag music into the folder from any computer. Ipod had me doing it from iTunes only. Prices for Sansa was $70 3 weeks ago for 8 Gb and Ipod was $250 for 30 GB or something like 4 years ago.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
The Sandisks are awesome. My kids each have one (ages 7 and 4), and they work well. The only complaint I have is that it takes a while for the software to convert video files into the player's format. But having tried the Sandisks, I wouldn't shell out the clams for an Apple branded product.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I had the same question a couple of years ago. I recently bought my second Sandisk player (more features than the first which I still use). I get most of my mp3 music from Amazon. With Ipod you are locked into their digital rights management and have complications moving music from one pc or player to another. Ipod tunes are mp3's too but with drm. Amazon and others are drm free, a lot less hastle. Many people however, prefer the Ipod exclusive universe.
If you have a lot of music CD's, you don't need to download songs from iTunes. Also, there are all sort of freeware that allows you to move music any way you want.

The iPod beats them all.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,034 times
I have both an iPhone and a new HD Zune. I like the iPhone due to all the apps etc. I like the Zune for the HD videos and the Zune Pass which allows me to download unlimited music for a flat rate (around $15 per month). Also, with the Zune, I have have 3 devices linked to my account, so my two daughters and I are all able to download whatever music we want for the ~$15 per month. Additionally, they allow you the rights to 10 songs per month.

I really do prefer my iPhone though, for working out. I have the Nike+ app on it and I just love it for tracking my runs...

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,674 times
I used my phone as a Mp3 player until Apple came out with the ipod touch. I like the apps and that's what I 95% use it for, the other percentage is mp3's in June & July when I can bike ride in the nice weather in Detroit. I only use the video when I'm on the train going too Chicago (six hours trip! Thank God for electric plugs on the train!)

overall I'm happy with this being my first ipod.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Ipods are a rip off and you're then stuck using Itunes which is a total PITA. I have a Sansa Clip+ and it works great, sounds great, is slightly cheaper than an Ipod Shuffle, but has more than double the storage space of the Shuffle and also has a screen so I can pick what I want to listen to (You have to spend $130+ on a Nano to get an Ipod with a screen). Plus with the Sansa I can just drag and drop mp3 files from Windows Media Player rather than dealing with the slow and hard-to-use Itunes. The other nice thing with the Sansa is that it has a memory card slot so I can expand the memory.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Ipods are a rip off and you're then stuck using Itunes which is a total PITA. I have a Sansa Clip+ and it works great, sounds great, is slightly cheaper than an Ipod Shuffle, but has more than double the storage space of the Shuffle and also has a screen so I can pick what I want to listen to (You have to spend $130+ on a Nano to get an Ipod with a screen). Plus with the Sansa I can just drag and drop mp3 files from Windows Media Player rather than dealing with the slow and hard-to-use Itunes. The other nice thing with the Sansa is that it has a memory card slot so I can expand the memory.
Well, look around any electronic store and compare the number of third party accessories for the iPod, and that will give you an idea of the huge market that has been created around it, from home audio receivers to automobiles. Look at Crutchfield, B&H Photo & Video, and any of the electronic stores around the Nation.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

You don't need iTunes to drag and drop songs, video, photos, etc. to the iPod. You can do that manually, just like you do with your Sansa. Itunes can do that for you automatically, but you can choose not to sync anything and do it all manually. Also, there are all kinds of free software (other than iTunes) that allow you to do anything with it.

With the iPod Touch, for those who like the WIFI feature to check the Internet, their mail, youtube, etc., one can sync all the accounts as well as the browser's bookmarks in the computer.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM

277 posts, read 626,801 times
I can use my Ipod Touch to control my house, listen to or record internet radio, check my mail from all my mail accounts, read a book, check the weather,control my Squeezebox radio, control a PC, listen to or watch podcast,check the stock market and even listen to music.

I have the 3rd generation Ipod Touch and I think it is a great value.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
I can use my Ipod Touch to control my house, listen to or record internet radio, check my mail from all my mail accounts, read a book, check the weather,control my Squeezebox radio, control a PC, listen to or watch podcast,check the stock market and even listen to music.

I have the 3rd generation Ipod Touch and I think it is a great value.
I guess it depends on what you want it to do. I just want a music player, mostly for walking and going to the gym, so I find the Sansa to be a better music player at a better price than Ipods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics