Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

35 posts, read 145,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoney View Post
Remembering the 1950's, Corpus Christi, Tri Drive on Staples, great hamburgers with special sauce. SpudNut Donuts in Ayers shopping center. Soft ice cream either on Baldwin or Morgan, had thin thread of either strawberry or chocolate in middle. Giant ice cream statue somewhere in this area too. Borden ice cream on staples, Toddle House and I think the name was the Chuck Wagon, close to Wynn Seale, had the best chicken and dumplings.
Yes, the giant concrete ice cream cone was on Morgan and 15th, the site of do it yourself car wash, then moved to somewhere near the Morgan/Baldwin area. Haven't been by that area in years, so no telling where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B View Post
Hello from Austin where I am researching an old TV series episode filmed in Corpus Christi in Jan. 1963. It was one of the popular Route 66 series starring George Maharis and Martin Milner as Buz & Tod, two guys "looking for the right place to fit in" by driving across America in a Corvette. The shows aired on Friday nights on CBS back when there were only three networks for TV viewing. At the beginning of season III Maharis left the show after a prolonged bout with hepatitis so the Corpus Christi episode was done with only Milner along with a kid actor named Roger Mobely and a well known character actor named Marin Balsam. They filmed all around CC including a drive-in burger place on Ayers, Favorite Barber Shop on Peoples downtown, CC Cathedral, North Beach, David Hirsch Elementary, the old Court House, etc. Does anyone recall this show who might help me find some of those locations? Some friends and I have put together a website that treats each of the one hundred plus episodes in a Then & Now format and that's what we hope to do with the CC episode titled "Somehow It Gets To Be Tomorrow". The website is titled Ohio66 because there were six episodes filmed there and that's how it began; Ohio 66 - Route 66 filming locations. I have done the Austin episode and a friend has done one shot in Gainesville. All the episodes are available on DVD by season now so you can check them out. The CC story is on Season Three Vol. 2 if y'all want to get it and see what Corpus looked like in the early 1960s. We sure could use some help from anyone interested in the Corpus area who might steer us toward some of the filming locations. Hope to get a response here if possible or you can contact me directly if preferred.
Adios for now, Mel B
ps; A second episode was filmed at Port Aransas a few weeks later that is also fun to watch since it shows Port A long before it turned into the mega-condo/tourist trap that it has become.
Mel B, Yes, it was entitled "Somehow It Gets To Be Tomorrow". Actually I was an extra.Together with classmates from Cpr[us Christi Academy. We finished semester finals and I went to see my cousin play in a tennis tournament at the HEB Tennis Center. We were asked if interested, of course we said yes. We were members of a club and a young vagrant kid, (Packy from the series "FURY") we chased him. The next scene we're chasing him near the Cathedral and down the hill. It was a good experience, to "meet and greet" with those people, they had several Corvettes. It actually was filmed about 51 years ago this week.(Mid Jan 1963)

Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Yep, glad you all in Corpus started a thread like this as well. I've been pretty active on the GBNF San Antonio thread, and just went through all the posts on this thread tonight.

Growing up in San Antonio, going down to Corpus for vacation 2 or 3 times each summer every year was a tradition not just among my family, but the families of most of the kids I grew up with. I haven't been back much as an adult, I did 2 MS 150 Bike to the Beach bike rides and spent a couple of days after each at a friend's condo on North Padre, but that was about it until this past weekend. My wife and I went down there and spent the weekend in downtown Corpus. Man, did it bring back some great old memories!!!

Ships Ahoy on the Bay was always a tradition with my family. We would always go there on Saturday's when we were in Corpus, and more often than not, I would run into kids and their families I knew from back home! This past weekend I took several pictures of the now abandoned building, it was heart breaking. Unfortunately, my wife left the camera in the lobby of our hotel when we left this morning, and no one's turned it in to Lost and Found yet, so I don't have any pictures.

But I did find this in the Newspapers Archives for Corpus, consider it a gift to my friends in the city by the bay! I should be back in Corpus in a few weeks and will retake the pictures of the abandoned Ships Ahoy building then. Also, as an amateur Urban historian, I've already found some interesting stuff from your city's history, and I'll post what i got during the next week.
GWHOPPER,
Sure hope you got your camera back, BECAUSE, sadly the Ship Ahoy on the Bay was torn down earlier this month.(Jan 2014)

Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Yep, glad you all in Corpus started a thread like this as well. I've been pretty active on the GBNF San Antonio thread, and just went through all the posts on this thread tonight.

Growing up in San Antonio, going down to Corpus for vacation 2 or 3 times each summer every year was a tradition not just among my family, but the families of most of the kids I grew up with. I haven't been back much as an adult, I did 2 MS 150 Bike to the Beach bike rides and spent a couple of days after each at a friend's condo on North Padre, but that was about it until this past weekend. My wife and I went down there and spent the weekend in downtown Corpus. Man, did it bring back some great old memories!!!

Ships Ahoy on the Bay was always a tradition with my family. We would always go there on Saturday's when we were in Corpus, and more often than not, I would run into kids and their families I knew from back home! This past weekend I took several pictures of the now abandoned building, it was heart breaking. Unfortunately, my wife left the camera in the lobby of our hotel when we left this morning, and no one's turned it in to Lost and Found yet, so I don't have any pictures.

But I did find this in the Newspapers Archives for Corpus, consider it a gift to my friends in the city by the bay! I should be back in Corpus in a few weeks and will retake the pictures of the abandoned Ships Ahoy building then. Also, as an amateur Urban historian, I've already found some interesting stuff from your city's history, and I'll post what i got during the next week.
GWHopper,
I hope your camera was returned with the pictures.
BECAUSE, sadly enough the old Ship Ahoy on the Bay on Ocean Drive/EnnisJoslin was recently entirely torn down earlier this month (Jan 2014)

Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 169,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmadoc View Post
GWHopper,
I hope your camera was returned with the pictures.
BECAUSE, sadly enough the old Ship Ahoy on the Bay on Ocean Drive/EnnisJoslin was recently entirely torn down earlier this month (Jan 2014)
Yes, It was sad to see it go. Someone could have made a 5 star restaurant out of it, but some concrete looking apartments with high rent will probably occupy the space.

Pharmadoc, you are absolutely right! There was a bowling alley on flour bluff drive-It was called the "AMF" bowling alley. I have been in that furniture store, and it is neat. They nearly changed anything in there. I still saw the old snack bar. Even "AMF" posters were in the restrooms! LOL.

Here's a brain teaser for all of you. Where exactly was the old Dillards and Fedway's downtown? I recently came across an old suit that had a fedway's tag on it. When did it close?
I also remember the old "Legs" strip club on the corner of S.P.I.D and Dodd st. Surprisingly it shut down and the iconic "Legs" are torn down.
I remember reading that there was a robbery gone wrong at the Sambo's on ayres and SPID, apparently one man was killed there!
Who Remembers the murder of Wanda Lopez at the Diamond Shamrock at SPID and Dodd st? Texas executed the wrong man!!!

One last thing, What was the name of the school that was on Airline and SPID that got torn down??? Lowe's and A strip mall now reside on the property.
Also What was the original grocery store that occupied the spot where sun harvest, or sprout's is in the gulf way shopping center??

Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Yes, It was sad to see it go. Someone could have made a 5 star restaurant out of it, but some concrete looking apartments with high rent will probably occupy the space.

Pharmadoc, you are absolutely right! There was a bowling alley on flour bluff drive-It was called the "AMF" bowling alley. I have been in that furniture store, and it is neat. They nearly changed anything in there. I still saw the old snack bar. Even "AMF" posters were in the restrooms! LOL.

Here's a brain teaser for all of you. Where exactly was the old Dillards and Fedway's downtown? I recently came across an old suit that had a fedway's tag on it. When did it close?
I also remember the old "Legs" strip club on the corner of S.P.I.D and Dodd st. Surprisingly it shut down and the iconic "Legs" are torn down.
I remember reading that there was a robbery gone wrong at the Sambo's on ayres and SPID, apparently one man was killed there!
Who Remembers the murder of Wanda Lopez at the Diamond Shamrock at SPID and Dodd st? Texas executed the wrong man!!!

One last thing, What was the name of the school that was on Airline and SPID that got torn down??? Lowe's and A strip mall now reside on the property.
Also What was the original grocery store that occupied the spot where sun harvest, or sprout's is in the gulf way shopping center??
Lol. I can try to answer some of them. I remember that the Fedway was at the NE corner of Laguna (John Sartain) & chaparral. JCPenneys was caddy corner from it. CPL was across Laguna on the other side. Police Station is there now. I really don't remember a downtown Dillard's. It was one of the original anchors of Padre Staples Mall, which opened in 1971 I think. I remember that my grandpa helped me buy a really multi-colored stone Christmas tree broach that my mom still has from x-MAs 1972. I would imagine that the Sprouts was one of those Biels stores.
The torn down school was Shannon Jr High. The Whataburger across the street opened up about 74 or 75.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:51 AM

City Detective, Wehotex,
Fedway's now houses the Educational Service Center, it used to be directly across from WT Grant's which was next door to the JC Penney's.
Prior to becoming Shannon Jr High, it was the site of the the old Sundeen School District.
There used to be a nice football field there, kinda where Rudy's is now.
I remember going to Corpus Chrisit Academy games there from 1960-1964.
Finally Handy Andy #41 was there at Gulfway. I worked at Handy Andy #42, at 3900 Ayers, Arcadia Village, while in high school and 2 ys at Del Mar, before leaving to a 4 yr university.

Last edited by Pharmadoc; 01-27-2014 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: describe better

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM

Prior to Gainan's the dealership was called Lew Williams Chevrolet,and prior to that Gulf Chevrolet which orignally was down on from the bluff kinda behind Exposition Hall and the bluff.
I think the bakery of reference was Fair Maid Bakery on Leopard, near Buc Stadium, Dr Pepper had a plant in that area, a bit farther north was the Coca Cola distributor. My grandmother lived on Coke about 4 houses from Leopard.
Also does anyone remember the old Fire Station on the Corner of Leopard and Coke? It's now a rough area. When the fire station closed, it became part of Lighthouse for the blind. The old fire house has a roof shaped like the alamo or Taco Bell. It's right by the entrance ramp to crosstown expy going South.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks, was Dillard's close by? I read that there was a Burger Chef next to "Shannon Jr High". It was the first one opened in 1964.

It seems that all steak houses are owned by a Greek family. Have they always been Greek owned? Like The Astor or Longhorne Steakhouse and Niko's. I also remember a Mott's steakhouse in the early 1970s where an old town was. It was a western theamed place. I also remember hearing that a walmart used to be on ayres near where the old Drive inn used to be.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmadoc View Post
Prior to Gainan's the dealership was called Lew Williams Chevrolet,and prior to that Gulf Chevrolet which orignally was down on from the bluff kinda behind Exposition Hall and the bluff.
I think the bakery of reference was Fair Maid Bakery on Leopard, near Buc Stadium, Dr Pepper had a plant in that area, a bit farther north was the Coca Cola distributor. My grandmother lived on Coke about 4 houses from Leopard.
Also does anyone remember the old Fire Station on the Corner of Leopard and Coke? It's now a rough area. When the fire station closed, it became part of Lighthouse for the blind. The old fire house has a roof shaped like the alamo or Taco Bell. It's right by the entrance ramp to crosstown expy going South.
Maaaaaby????? I don't quite remember that as well, or at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi