Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
No I didn't know about that. That was a little before my time. LoL
But tell me EVERYThING about it!
If you don't have a frame of reference for those old events it's rather meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM

47 posts, read 169,212 times
Does anybody else remember in the mid 1950s watching (I believe) Kztv or Kris tv show about cooking and whitnessing a fire live on set?

LoL, I believe they changed the stove without telling the host.=|

Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM

35 posts, read 145,593 times
Actually, I think it was Channel 22 KVDO

Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,732 times
What about the Mustang Club downtown Corpus Christi, Texas?????

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post
My Daddy was working for Doc at the Dragon Grill when I was born in 1950. Joe Ming became one of the top chefs in Corpus and worked at many private clubs like the Surf Club at the Sandy Shores, the Mustang Supper Club and I believe the Petroleum Club as well. They were all private clubs so they could serve liquor.

"After fire destroyed Linn K. “Doc” Mason’s Dragon Grill on North Beach in 1944, he leased the Elks Club Building at Water and Starr streets. For seven years, from 1946 until 1953, the Dragon Grill was an oasis of night life in Corpus Christi. Gigi Starnes in the Nueces County Historical Commission Bulletin in 1989 provides a detailed look at the gold-and-glitter of the famous Dragon Grill. Guests entered through hand-hammered copper doors set in a wood-paneled foyer. The Zodiac dining room could seat 500. Murals presented scenes of a Swedish couple’s courtship and marriage. Between the murals were floral patterns of coral and silver. A raised dance floor was covered with maple parquet. The orchestra stand was draped with glittering silver cloth and filled with gold chairs for the musicians. Ceiling lights of red, blue, green and white were lowered to a romantic glow.

The second floor housed the Chinese cooks, who were under the supervision of head chef Joe Ming. On the third floor was the Jalna Room. You could get there only by special elevator operated by “Pop” Powers. The marble-walled room attracted gamblers from all over. Warning lights and buzzers signaled when law-enforcement made an unwelcome visit. Cards, dice and money could be concealed behind secret panels and moveable walls. The third floor was a maze of sliding panels, hidden rooms, secret exits. (The construction worker in my neighborhood came across one of those secret exits.)

In August 1953, an enterprising policeman gained access to the Jalna Room. When players threw down their chips, he threw down his badge. Mason was charged with running an illegal gambling operation, but was not indicted. In 1954, he sold out to the Town Club; it moved in 1988 to One Shoreline Plaza. Since then, several tenants have occupied the building that once housed Corpus Christi’s most famous nightclub."
Do u know what happened to the mural from The Mustang Club?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman4 View Post
Do u know what happened to the mural from The Mustang Club?
Frankly, I don't recall anything specific about it. It may be due to memory dissonance with "Mustang."

I had a Mustang (Stallion) motorbike as a kid, was on Mustang Island rather often when friends of the family ran cattle there. Had a condo with my brother at Mustang Towers on the island and for a while was involved with Spanish warm-blooded horses that devolved into mustangs in the Wild Horse desert between Kingsville and Raymondville, TX. Mustang grapes, and lastly Ford Mustangs.

The Club Mustang. . .very faintly does sound like something I heard about when I was a kid. I seem to remember it in terms of the old Red Carpet Club, CC circa 1960. Vaguely associate the name with the old lawyer, Neal Dancer, and gambling. There again, I could be dead wrong. That's why I didn't say anything.
Those old private clubs for gentlemen of distinction didn't tolerate curious teenagers. If you recall Lew Williams/James Gainan when the old Chevrolet dealership was on Water St. downtown . . .now that I'm intensely thinking about it . . .it seems to relate somehow. Yeah, I know Lew Williams was from California but he spent time in CC hunting, fishing, gambling, and the ladies. . .you know, that old manly stuff in day's of yore. You might search old Doc McGregor's Photo Collections @ Corpus Christi Public Libraries Digital Archives

Be warned, you need to find the right collection in your search. A general search is sometimes useless.

Sounds like you may be older than me. I say that because after the Janin room shut down folks in CC started going to Las Vegas. It wasn't kosher for good Corpus Christians (Baptist) to be caught at the Red Carpet. Of course if you were Catholic you could be forgiven I was a kid who knew too much, some said.

Could it have been in the top of the old Nixon bldg? If anything comes to mind I'll let you know.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 AM

135 posts, read 241,140 times
Hey thanks for that link to the archive Rusty.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
Hey thanks for that link to the archive Rusty.
I have a few more photograph collection links.

Holdings of Special Note

Kenneth L. Anthony Photographic Collection

Brandt and Callie Badger Papers

Conrad Blucher Surveying Collection

Tony Bonilla Papers

Sheriton Burr Birding Collection

Cisneros Collection

Clifford C. Edge Papers

Antonio Rodriguez Fuentes & Josefina Barrera Fuentes Papers

Rafael, Sr. and Virginia Reyes Galvan Family Photographs

Dr Clotilde P. Garcia Book Collection

Dr Clotilde P. Garcia Papers

Dr. Hector P. Garcia Papers

Steve Grime Photograph Collection

L.M. Gross Collection Storm of 1919 Picture Postcards

L. DeWitt Hale Papers

Joseph A. Hans Papers

Rachel Bluntzer Hebert Papers

Hi-Fairnessee Girls Club Records

Gilberto G. Jasso Papers

Johnson-Bezdek Collection

The Kilgore Collection

Kilgore Picture Postcard Collection

James M. Manning Papers

Manuscripts & Archives

Kay McCracken Papers

Eli T. Merriman History Collection

Meuly-Daimwood Family Papers

The Mexican American Component

E.E. Mireles and Jovita Gonzalez Mireles

William H. Parker Photograph Collection

W.E. Pope Papers

Bob Prager Selena Portfolio

The Round Robin Collection

San Diego, Texas, 1876 Photographs

Vernon Smylie Papers

B. Dudley Tarlton Papers

Texas and Mexico Book Collections

John W. Tunnell, M.D. Texana Collection

University Archives

H. Carter Whatley Collection

Judge James Allen Wood Collection

Dee Woods Papers

I can't tell if these links will go through, it doesn't indicate on the Preview Post. If not, I know how to quickly backtrack these links to the original source:https://rattler.tamucc.edu/

Senior citizens are not called "Rusty." They are addressed as "Sleep!."

What about that Billy The Kid Toilet Paper?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM

>I can't tell if these links will go through, it doesn't indicate on the Preview Post. If not, I know how to quickly backtrack these links to the original source:https://rattler.tamucc.edu/ <

Senior citizens are not called "Rusty." They are addressed as "Sleepy."

I see they didn't go through: See this page: https://rattler.tamucc.edu/dept/special/sp_title.html

What about that Billy The Kid Toilet Paper?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Does Anybody know much about the "Corpus Christi Osteopathic Hospital" on Tarlton st? My father was born there and Recently the building was demolished. When did it close and why?

Osteopathic Hospital Demolition Weeks Away | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Where there any other hospitals that used to be around here?
HCA Hospital Corp of American bought CCOH and transferred services to Southside Community Hospital on Weber before closing CCOH. HCA built Bay Area Medical Center and moved their services to the new hospital and closed Southside. I use to pull old patient files Southside stored at CCOH, it was very creepy and in a state of decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi