Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

Had to laugh at the past few posts about ruining the port cities. I've talked to many business people at port cities and they unanimously state "if it wasn't for the cruise ships docking here we would go broke". Cruise ships create a lot of jobs and sure help the local economy. Some cruise ports are even owned or have an interest in them by the cruise lines.
But wait, there are always naysayers/protesters everywhere on everything. Can't please all people all the time. You do your thing, the next person will do theirs. It's what makes everyone happy.
Again cruises are not for everyone, but millions of cruisers each year seem to be happy. Life is what you make and want out of it. Many cruisers come back to the areas they visited on cruise ships and then rent a motel or travel and explore the areas more extensively on their own.
Me, I can't wait for the next 6 cruises I've planned for. I sure have met some very nice intelligent people and have enjoyed the ship life to it's fullest. Happy Sailing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
And I have to laugh at this.

Quote:
Had to laugh at the past few posts about ruining the port cities. I've talked to many business people at port cities and they unanimously state "if it wasn't for the cruise ships docking here we would go broke". Cruise ships create a lot of jobs and sure help the local economy. Some cruise ports are even owned or have an interest in them by the cruise lines.
If you have talked to the business people in the majority of the port cities in Alaska, you've talked to carpetbaggers. Many of them follow the ships to the Caribbean in the winter season like flocks of vultures. They wouldn't be here in the first place if it weren't for the ships; they came after the fact. Sure they'd be broke if they tried to operate the same types of businesses without the ships, because they offer nothing of value to any other type of customer.

Quote:
"if it wasn't for the cruise ships docking here we would go broke".
The cruise ships don't dock on my island. My family business is...very far from broke.

Quote:
Some cruise ports are even owned or have an interest in them by the cruise lines.
Yes, we do know that, but I'm wondering why you state it as a positive thing. I know that quite a few of the people off the ships that I've talked to rather seem to resent the fact that the cruise lines have their hand out at every turn, as evidenced by the proliferation of jewelry stores in SE Alaska.

You've talked to business people who are telling you, as a consumer, what you want to hear, and they are telling you their own truth, in a way. But most of them don't even live here. Check out the mass exodus from SE the day after the last ship heads south.

The jobs they create are actually pretty good deals for college students, retirees, or people just wanting a different experience for a few months. But they are far from being family wage jobs. That's part of the reason that the population in the ports here is declining.

There is a huge difference between the experience of a "business person" who comes here seasonally to fleece the tourists and high tails it to the Caribbean at the end of the season and people who really do live here.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Oh...and a lot of these business people will try to pass themselves off as Alaska residents. I've run across more than a couple of these phonies and heard them outright lie to their customers. It'll probably become more commonplace now that the tourists are getting a bit more savvy about what they buy...who really wants to come home from a trip loaded up with stuff made in China?

The businesses in the port cities that are owned by legitimate residents is dwindling drastically. Moe's in Skagway is going to be a jewelry store next season.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,710 times
Default You serious about Moe's?

That's a shame. I was in Skagway 2 summers ago on my one cruise, and though you could see the cruise industry's heavy influence, it still had some of the feel of a 'frontier town'.

The most satisfying packaged adventure I took in Alaska was the Yukon pass railway expidition... mindblowing what people went through during the gold rush year.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Thumbs down You need a humor adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post

You had to laugh? You find some very inappropriate things funny, good sir/madam. (from "Sun City Arizona", no less!)
As Metlakatla mentioned, I have no doubt that you talked to some phony-bologna outsider. Yes, I know one or two local people who own businesses that are located downtown and receive significant business from the cruise ship industry, but I know of none who rely on it.
There's an easy way to tell the difference. Take a real vacation up here in the winter- the locally owned businesses (like AK Fudge Co ) are still open. Galli used to be open during the winter too, but now they are only doing mail order.
My point is, your information is skewed, and it's incredibly disturbing that you don't even realise it. You talked to one person, an outsider who basically works for the cruise ship companies. Now you're talking to Metla and me, both of us long-term or native Alaskans who are telling you that the cruise ship industry is destroying our region.
I'm pretty sure it's as simple as that.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 PM

If it wasn't for the cruise ship industry your port towns would dry up an become extinct. Plus if you're a true ALaskan, you get free money from the State Government every year as a bonus that is tied into the taxes the tourists spend in your cities.
As a business person for nearly 60 years, I believe I can see what is happening in the port cities and even though they are screwin the tourists with their cheap Chinese junk, it's the money they leave that your government and people enjoy for lifting up your lifestyle.
And if an industry is ruining your business, then why aren't you or your people doing anything about it? Your State sure promotes the tourist industry alot.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Default Are you even reading what you're writing?

Quote:
If it wasn't for the cruise ship industry your port towns would dry up an become extinct.
I beg to differ. Do a google search on the following towns: Petersburg, Metlakatla, and Sitka. Hmm, they don't look dead. How interesting.

Quote:
Plus if you're a true ALaskan, you get free money from the State Government every year as a bonus that is tied into the taxes the tourists spend in your cities.
Where do you get your information? We receive a check called the Permanent Fund Dividend, which is money out of a fund which is tied to the oil industry, not the tourism industry. The vast majority of money that comes out of cruise ship patrons pockets goes directly into those of out of staters, who take it back with them when they return to the hell from whence they came. The reason that the State of Alaska is a comparatively wealthy state (although even that is debatable...) is because of the oil companies. 80% of the state's revenue comes from the oil industry.
I don't believe that an argument with you could proceed in any way that is at all constructive. Your logic is laughable and your facts are, to be bluntly honest, completely incorrect. I would say, "come on up here and learn what it's really like", but I don't want you anywhere near my home city. It might dry up and become extinct.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Nitram, you are misinformed.

Quote:
If it wasn't for the cruise ship industry your port towns would dry up an become extinct
No, what would dry up and become extinct would be the offshore jewelry stores. Believe it or not, outside of the first few blocks surrounding the cruise ship docks, real communities exist.

Quote:
Plus if you're a true ALaskan, you get free money from the State Government every year as a bonus that is tied into the taxes the tourists spend in your cities.
The permanent fund is tied to the OIL industry. And the taxes you speak of are municipal taxes, not state taxes. This year the dividend was somewhere around $1600. I declined it as I have every year except for the first year it was issued.

Quote:
And if an industry is ruining your business, then why aren't you or your people doing anything about it? Your State sure promotes the tourist industry alot.
My family has been instrumental in keeping the big ships away from our home. Yeah, we'd probably be even richer if we had a few cruise ship tourists waddle in now and again but we have more than enough and we aren't gonna sell our quality of life out...especially not after seeing Skagway. So yes, plenty of communities have done something about it.

Salty Dawg, that train ride is something...I'm glad you got to see some of the real Yukon/Alaska and not just the bling filled blocks around the docks. Gold rush history is really fascinating as well.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-09-2008 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 AM

Oh, Salty Dawg---yeah, Moe's last day of operation was Sept. 27th.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Sounds like a couple of sour grapes to me. 2 out of a few hundred thousand not too bad.
You can't please anyone. BTW I do know about the oil royalty. Also know one of your politicians tried to mess with public funds to build a billion dollar bridge to nowhere.
Bye...good luck on your bleak future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises