Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Are you serious???? A cat's meow annoys you? Kids, animals, what else can't you abide? I don't understand it. To me it seems quite sad. In fact, I'd open the door and pet the cat for a while since it came to visit. It's not healthy to wall yourself off from the world. Maybe living in a cave on top of a deserted mountaintop would suit you better.
LOL I am an owner/operator of a pet sitting/dog walking company. Next generalization?

NONE of my clients would annoy their neighbors sending their cats outside to common areas and meowing at their door, FFS. For that matter they'd be worried for the cat's safety and security being out there alone and unleashed.

And WHY is the cat meowing at a door? Oh gee. Maybe to COME INSIDE?

What if the resident has a dog or cat themselves?

What if the resident wants to go out their front door and the cat bolts inside?

What if the resident is trying to sleep?

What if EVERYBODY sends their cats outside ? FUN! Did you ever HEAR a cat fight?

You're right, those types of selfish people don't belong in an HOA.

You are presented the BYLAWS when you buy in an HOA. There are no HOA bylaw surprises and every HOMEOWNER resident gets a vote ON the bylaws.

There's even another thread here complaining by a renter (naturally) not liking the NO DIVING rule in the pool, which is an EXACT duplicate of STATE LAW.

Just like many municipalities have LEASH LAWS FOR DOGS.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-18-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A Florida grandfather believes his granddaughter was the reason someone vandalized his two cars in his elderly community.
The message scrawled on his car read, "No kids." Now, he's scared to have his granddaughter visit.
This is sad when a man cant feel safe with his visiting granddaughter.

It was reported that this grandfather lives in an age 55+ community of Vero Beach that has strict rules about minors staying overnight.
There is a 30 day per year limit on overnight stays. Daily visits, however, are unlimited.
Barat says several neighbors have written complaints to the Homeowners Association about his granddaughter.

‘No kids’ painted on grandfather's car in Vero Beach
If the daughter is ugly enough I would say you could go by dog years.

So by age eight she would be over 55 years of age.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
I own a condo in a place where average age is like almost 80. Place was built in 1979. I just bought last year and I am on board and helping to turn building around by trying to get young hip folks into building.

The old folks have ruined building, against every improvement project, anything that cost money. Many are behind in maint and a women in a faded house coat with a walker and oxygen tank is a killer.

This is not an age restricted building. I told the folk outright you are your worst enemy. No one wants to live with you. You are what is driving down property values. No offense. My two neighbors who are both old as the hills agree. They are like we are dying. Get young folks, folks with big jobs, folks with kids in here. Get this place alive with singles. That is what I am doing. I told them if all goes to plan I will have resale value up 40% in next five years. So far I got a few young couples joining building in a turnaround play.

Old drying folk dont like being surrounded by old dying folk. I am renting place out full time. But last summer I had it for three months and the youngest person in building is like 55 and oldest is 100. I had me and my wife one weekend out there with my three kids aged 6-13 with a fourth kid who was on a play date. They were doing cart wheels, running around, Disney channel on. Then nieghbor who is like 88 with a walker, who had multiple heart attacks whose wife has brain cancer comes out and I am like oh no.

He introduces himself and says I am sooooo Happy you and your wife are turning around building and points to my kids and says we need more of them. I then tell him my plans and told him I am working with my realtor to get a rich young couple into my apt when I rent and the unit above you we have a newlywed couple wanted to buy and live. Also we have a third person for the unit behind me. He was sooooo happy.

55+ brand new is nice. But 30 years out it is deaths waiting room. My building I bought was never coded senior citzens housing. But as a beachside condo in 1979 mostly folks in their late 30s to early 50s bought in and flash forward 34 years and it is a morgue.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL I am an owner/operator of a pet sitting/dog walking company. Next generalization?

NONE of my clients would annoy their neighbors sending their cats outside to common areas and meowing at their door, FFS. For that matter they'd be worried for the cat's safety and security being out there alone and unleashed.

And WHY is the cat meowing at a door? Oh gee. Maybe to COME INSIDE?

What if the resident has a dog or cat themselves?

What if the resident wants to go out their front door and the cat bolts inside?

What if the resident is trying to sleep?

What if EVERYBODY sends their cats outside ? FUN! Did you ever HEAR a cat fight?

You're right, those types of selfish people don't belong in an HOA.

You are presented the BYLAWS when you buy in an HOA. There are no HOA bylaw surprises and every HOMEOWNER resident gets a vote ON the bylaws.

There's even another thread here complaining by a renter (naturally) not liking the NO DIVING rule in the pool, which is an EXACT duplicate of STATE LAW.

Just like many municipalities have LEASH LAWS FOR DOGS.
Oh, geez, now it is the dreaded renter you take offense to? Maybe it is a good thing that all the old fuddy-duddies congregate in their little enclaves. Keeps them away from the real world, which just happens to be filled with kids, animals and *gasp* even renters.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I for the most part think once 75 + in an old age home where you can be looked out for-- unless you are the new 60.. and can keep up. Old folks fall, have 911 calls for all kinds of emergencies and well just die in thier sleep alone. One place my realtor said Do not move there- you will NEVER sleep ambulances run every night--- that is crazy- My step mom is 93 lives in an assited facility.. round the clock care. shes happy- only 3 or 4 lived there, so she is not lost in the shuffle. One neighbor I saw would walk back n forth on her breezeway- nowhere else to go- like a caged animal... she said she was very lonely.. kissed me all the time-- poor woman. the the Condo's monthly news letter- obituaries,,, apt 314-712 and 830 passed -please remove from the phone list...It was a tomb- and yes some were waiting for some to die off- to do major work on the buildings,,, they were frustrated as well with the naysayers to any maintenace. They are also locked into places they can't sell or rent... it's crazy.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am 65 and a few years ago I thought about it for a total of about two seconds.

I am here on planet earth for my children and grandchildren should they ever need me and I am not about to tolerate someone, anyone, telling me how often my grandchildren can visit or how long they can stay.

Besides that kids are neat. Last Halloween the neighbor children, age 4 and 5, came over dressed up as tigers and a ballerina... so cute they almost made me cry. I couldn't miss that. Even watching the boys in the street with their skateboards it reminds me of me as I once was.

Oh, and two years ago we have an extremely heavy rainfall lasting about 30 minutes but it produced running rivers between two yards. Two sisters, maybe 12 and 14, are out playing in this rushing water (it was clean, nothing coming up from sewers or anything like that or I would have said something) and it was hilarious. I grabbed my camera and snapped half a dozen candid photos giving them to mom when she got home. Mom loved em, you could see the children had such huge smiles having so much fun.

And hide and go seek in the summer as it is getting dark. Sitting on the patio listening to the shrieks of laughter is like music to my ears because it reminds me of the summer of 1956.....

And finally we need the connection between the generations. Yeah, I am getting older but they need to see me for the person I am and not some fleeting guy hauling around a golf bag on a golf cart.

I'll stay in a neighborhood full of children.

And this is relevant to residents not abiding by known DCRCs because...?

You can choose whatever living arrangement you'd like without denigrating those who've chosen another option and simply expect everyone else to follow the rules they agreed to.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And this is relevant to residents not abiding by known DCRCs because...?

You can choose whatever living arrangement you'd like without denigrating those who've chosen another option and simply expect everyone else to follow the rules they agreed to.
This exactly. Some of the people on this thread who feel everyone should live as they do and would like to think they have the right to criticize those who make other choices remind me of people who move into neighborhoods along the flight paths of airports and then whine about the noise of the planes landing.

I think that these types of people move into 55+ plus communities and similar communities do so with the idea of changing the rules to suit themselves. They are certain they will be the saviors who will show those living there who are perfectly content with the rules how "wrong" they are and will be able to convince them to rebel against their way of living. What they don't count on, in their arrogance, is that others are perfectly happy the way things are which is why they moved into the community in the first place.

Maybe the residents chose their homes because didn't want to be around kids or maybe they liked certain landscaping or activities or meals or type of neighbors . Everyone has the right to decide for themselves. Ridiculing people for the way they choose to live as I see being done here, is really an example of small mindedness and arrogance. Not to mention, just plain mean.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
The median age where I now live in Floriduh is 62 years old. THINK about that one. You do not have to live in 55+ community, which I don't, to experience like what has been described. Where I live is not an "Adult Community" but you would be hard pressed to find many kids here. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find anyone under 60. However, do not paint all people over 55 with a broad brush. We are not all the same, THANK GOODNESS. As I said on another post, they didn't like me at 58 and they still don't at 65. The development where I live is NOT 55+ but you would never know that. Nothing but biddy, mostly Snowbird, old people; in MIND and body. Hey, this is FLORIDUH, where Americans go to DIE.

Anyway, I have two Snowbirds on either side of me. The people from PA. are in their 80s and totally obnoxious. What do I do? I BLAST THEM AWAY with Hard Rock. I LIKE that kind of music and dance to it while I am cleaning. My other neighbor is a few years older than me from the UK. He likes dressing up in his kilts and playing the bagpipes. Oh, the neighbors don't like that either. lol When he isn't doing that, he has parties at NIGHT, where the Scotch flows freely, and he BLASTS away Rod Steward. HOT LEGS, wearing me out. ROFL He and I get along very well. You don't like CHILDREN????? lol Then complain about SENIORS who don't want to go around like we have one foot in the grave, like YOU. Keep us out??????

Sorry, jerks, but I will Rock On until I drop dead, and I also don't mind little children playing. You can try to ban little kids but how are you going to ban OTHER SENIORS who aren't just like YOU?????

Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This exactly. Some of the people on this thread who feel everyone should live as they do and would like to think they have the right to criticize those who make other choices remind me of people who move into neighborhoods along the flight paths of airports and then whine about the noise of the planes landing.

I think that these types of people move into 55+ plus communities and similar communities do so with the idea of changing the rules to suit themselves. They are certain they will be the saviors who will show those living there who are perfectly content with the rules how "wrong" they are and will be able to convince them to rebel against their way of living. What they don't count on, in their arrogance, is that others are perfectly happy the way things are which is why they moved into the community in the first place.

Maybe the residents chose their homes because didn't want to be around kids or maybe they liked certain landscaping or activities or meals or type of neighbors . Everyone has the right to decide for themselves. Ridiculing people for the way they choose to live as I see being done here, is really an example of small mindedness and arrogance. Not to mention, just plain mean.

Excuse me, but the thread started with one of the "perfectly happy people" were spraying mean things on another's car. AFTER I saw the pain some inflicted on others, all very pretty and until in the crowd of wrinkles went ballistic on another tenant... and the fighting started over the smallest infractions. My landlord's husband whispered to me, "welcome to prison", they moved out and went to live in a reg house and then I understood.
Don't paint a rosy picture and say we are arrogant... this man's car is NOT the only mean thing the perfectly happy people do.. we can see right though it all...
I will give you, There are some nice communities-there is always one-- some folks who care n love each other and get along.. but this is not the reality of most.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse me, but the thread started with one of the "perfectly happy people" were spraying mean things on another's car. AFTER I saw the pain some inflicted on others, all very pretty and until in the crowd of wrinkles went ballistic on another tenant... and the fighting started over the smallest infractions. My landlord's husband whispered to me, "welcome to prison", they moved out and went to live in a reg house and then I understood.
Don't paint a rosy picture and say we are arrogant... this man's car is NOT the only mean thing the perfectly happy people do.. we can see right though it all...
I will give you, There are some nice communities-there is always one-- some folks who care n love each other and get along.. but this is not the reality of most.
Whoa! That was a stretch! Perfectly happy people spray painting people's cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events