Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Rand Paul is hoping to get a total repeal of ACA.
This bill is oppressive.

There is no good reason for sickness care to be soooo expensive.
Many of those who do have insurance abuse it. Such as one I witnessed... Little girl throws up- rush to the emergency room. She proceeds to run around the place jumping off the chairs and complaining she wants to go home....

And those so-called "Wellness Check-ups" are a total waste of the insurance companies' money. I'm retired and on an HMO. This plan has us going to the DR. every 6 months and includes lab work. A total waste of money for the insurance company as most people are not sick. I have opted out of those visits. This upset them and they sent me a certified letter suggesting that I make an appointment.

These 6-month check-ups are just "make-work" projects. Likely several of those lab workers would be out of a job if people did not follow the leader.
Also the Dr.'s would get less pay.

Degenerative diseases that are not genetic or the result of accidents are all caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies and imbalances.
NEVER does the Dr in his information gathering process ask his patients about their diet. So when someone comes in sick he is clueless and orders a lot of expensive and mizerating tests, none of which is a vitamin/mineral assay.
Have you read Paul Ryan's bill, or are you just regurgitating the left-wing-liberal "talking point" ( read: slamming)of the bill?

It's a well known observation by those employed in healthcare that those who have no skin in the game, so to speak, ie, don't pay anything ( ie, copays, deductibles) for their healthcare are most likely to abuse it. This includes those enrolled in Medicaid, who tend to use the ER as a clinic because it's available anytime day or night and doesn't turn anyone away. Someone else who may be covered with insurance and has no co-pays might do the same thing, but I don't know of any insurance currently ( other than those used as a Medigap for Medicare recipients) that doesn't have co-pays or some out of pocket expenses to the covered recipient.

I'd say someone with insurance who must pay a co-pay for that ER visit will think twice about a visit that really isn't an emergency, unless they really think it is. I venture to say you assumed that little girl you mention was covered by insurance, but I bet you really don't know.

Degenerative diseases have many causes, including aging, hormone imbalances, illnesses earlier in life to name a few. Healthy eating's always a good idea, but it doesn't prevent all degenerative diseases from taking their course over time.

Don't know about your doctor, but my primary doc asks about diet, exercise and life-style related practices that might influence my health. And the lab tests do include vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers as indicated.

What's a "mizerating" test?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I get my health care through my employer, but if I didn't I would simply pay the penalty. If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions. (Imagine if car insurance worked the same way, I could wait until after the wreck to buy insurance.)

The young people are really getting screwed on this one. We're forcing them to subsidized their parents healthcare.
I'm not sure that is the case. You will not be able to buy an exchange policy outside of the enrollment periods, and in some states you will not be able to buy any major medical policy except during the enrollment periods. I would think any policy you can buy immediately after you get sick or have an accident will be very costly and would not take effect immediately. One really ought to check one's state's rules if one is counting on being able to buy a policy once one becomes sick or has an accident, unless one has a "qualifying" life event. And the policies that have been bought during this open enrollment period do not begin until May 1, so I believe any insurance company can make you wait for a while until the policy takes effect, in which case you would be responsible for all medical costs until the policy takes effect.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
I had mixed views for Obamacare. I used to work for the state and had insurance through them which was great. Things started getting bad and I had to move from my state to a more affordable state. I was living off a pension, but had no insurance. Relatives bought insurance through Obamacare and paid nothing for very good insurance. It is not medicare, it is actually a good company. She went to a world renowned ENT and had a $10 co-pay. I decided to get the same insurance and am paying $36 per month. As a baby boomer over 50, insurance is important. When I had my own business making a good living and then working for the state, there were no problems with insurance. Now over 50, it is important to have the insurance. Just my opinion.
Just a question, I'm assuming at those premium prices you and your relatives all got subsidies, and signed up for that insurance on either a Marketplace state or federal exchange? And were able to pay for it, actually have the process completed, and your policy become effective ( so you could use it with no problems?) timely?

Just wondering, that would be a good thing.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Oh, you're right. Before the ACA everyone paid for all their own medical bills and hospitals did not pass the costs on to the rest of us. *sarcasm*

You could be shown proof from now til the next century and you wouldn't believe it, because you are determined to hate anything associated with Obama.

I gave up on the P&OC forum because of the ridiculous rhetoric and lack of education and insight. I'm sorry that the Current Events forum has become the same thing.
Sounds like the Medicare and Health Care Insurance forum might be more to your liking. They're Obamacare cheerleaders over there, and you can snark with the best of them against those who post differing perspectives on the topic......

Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You'll be happy to know that with the extra money you pay on your insurance, they will be able to save enough on their insurance to get the full sports package on cable television.

In a way, you're not subsidizing their insurance, your paying for their cable bill, if you get the metaphor.

Redistribution of resources, ( I won't call it wealth, we're not wealthy), doncha love it? Between those extra insurance dollars and taxes, they'll be all set. Ironic, isn't it, that that extra sports package, in fact, anything but basic cable, is one of the things we do without to pay those insurance premiums....

Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.
Then you deserve what you got, right?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's not luck, buddy, it's planning, and determining priorities. The insurance we pay for ( including an individual policy for a daughter) is NOT cheap, we have gone without other things to pay for it. And will continue to do so, as it gets more expensive, thank you Obamacare.........

Perhaps I should say you are "lucky" at being able to get subsidized insurance, thanks to people like DH and me, who pay for those subsidies???
That's a great mantra, when it works. I neither have Obamacare, nor would I qualify for a subsidy thank you very much.

I made a big sacrifice: I moved 1000 miles for a low paying job that offered benefits when I was DENIED HEALTH INSURANCE at 22 years old due to things completely out of my control. How could I have better prioritized? What if I hadn't found that job? I graduated from college in the middle of the recession - I was the first of my friends (graduating from an elite university) to find a job with benefits. If I hadn't found the job, then you ALL would have been paying for my stage IV cancer treatment a few months later to the tune of more then $500,000 to date. Do you know what a sacrifice it is to work full time against doctor's orders during chemo when you have no help or support network, all because you need to keep your health insurance? Yeah, didn't think so.

Today, most of my friends are other people who were diagnosed with cancer in their late teens/early 20s - old enough to be held responsible, but not old enough to have done much in terms of earning enough money to pay for treatment. Are we all that irresponsible in your eyes? I mean, how dare we get life threatening, life changing illnesses when we should be pursuing our educations and careers.

But you know, maybe I was lucky getting Stage IV cancer through no fault of my own when I was 23 ( and really, when I was 18). I could not live with myself to lack so much compassion.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
Obviously you've been pampered with great jobs that paid great money!

A lot of people don't get paid enough to afford healthcare here, you seem to not be aware of the cost of insurance, or what people are paid! Just cause someone works in a low end job that doesn't mean they need to be sick, and never have the option of seeing a doctor! That is a really f*ked up mentality! Shame on you....you know what's worst to STILL Not afford this new healthcare crap, and have doctors be picky about which one they accept, and STILL be out of pocket! Because now you end up having to go see a doctor you afford in the worst parts of towns! The entire healthcare system here is a JOKE! Major, major INSULT to people. Did you know that someone who's a stay at home mom can't even have this insurance? that they LEFT US OUT completely? and we're supposed to BUY private insurance now which is precisely WHY we've been uninsured? so they offer options to those who work, and those who don't have apparently magic money to afford private ones! I mean REALLY?????

IF businesses continue to not pay livable wages, then they are welcome to pay for my welfare! Their choice. You either offer me insurance I can afford, or pay me enough to afford my own...there is no door #3 here! IF they refuse both, then they are more than welcome to pay welfare! I could care less, I've been left out anyway.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's a great mantra, when it works. I neither have Obamacare, nor would I qualify for a subsidy thank you very much.

I made a big sacrifice: I moved 1000 miles for a low paying job that offered benefits when I was DENIED HEALTH INSURANCE at 22 years old due to things completely out of my control. How could I have better prioritized? What if I hadn't found that job? I graduated from college in the middle of the recession - I was the first of my friends (graduating from an elite university) to find a job with benefits. If I hadn't found the job, then you ALL would have been paying for my stage IV cancer treatment a few months later to the tune of more then $500,000 to date. Do you know what a sacrifice it is to work full time against doctor's orders during chemo when you have no help or support network, all because you need to keep your health insurance? Yeah, didn't think so.

Today, most of my friends are other people who were diagnosed with cancer in their late teens/early 20s - old enough to be held responsible, but not old enough to have done much in terms of earning enough money to pay for treatment. Are we all that irresponsible in your eyes? I mean, how dare we get life threatening, life changing illnesses when we should be pursuing our educations and careers.

But you know, maybe I was lucky getting Stage IV cancer through no fault of my own when I was 23 ( and really, when I was 18). I could not live with myself to lack so much compassion.
You know nothing about me, have no idea what my history or that of my family, and I don't care to dump it all out there in any kind of a piZZing contest with anyone who makes assumption that others who aren't complaining or who appear to be doing well have done so just because they were lucky ( ie, requiring no efforts on their part), or had advantages that were denied to you... and I'm not about to accept the implied guilt in your posts for being so "lucky" I never had such crosses to bear as you tell us all about ( or so you assume).

We'll leave it at this; you can continue to believe that you were standing first in line when life's worst burdens were handed out, continue to pat yourself on the back for handling it more heroically than anyone else ever handled theirs, you can continue to try and pass on a sense of guilt to others you assume were more fortunate than you have been, take your choice, I don't really care. Perhaps a little more maturity on your part will open your eyes to the realities that others ( besides said friends you met in your cancer clinic) also have their burdens, make choices as they see fit, even if they don't complain about them. That's it.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
I try to stay away from this argument, but I should point one thing out. Healthcare has gotten so expensive in this country that there is almost no way anyone could go to a doctor without insurance.

The insurance companies win.

Everyone else (those for and against the ACA) loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events