Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Then of course, there ARE those of us who take care of our own, WITHOUT the meddling of the federal government. They can scream mandate all they want but we don't hear them.
You take care of your own? You how to perform surgery? Diagnose and treat diabetes? Administer chemo? Grow up and buy some health insurance so the rest of us don't have to pay for your freeloading ways.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
You've been drinking the "I MUST have insurance" cool aid again haven't you? It's all fine, if you enjoy paying premiums you may not need.
This is the basic concept underlying all insurance. Each party is taking a gamble.

Do you have any kind of insurance at all? Car? Home? Life? Health? If not, do you have a plan for catastrophe?

The responses on this thread have been very puzzling. I can understand being opposed to the ACA mandate for fear of "big government," but I don't understand the failure to acknowledge that very bad, expensive things to people, or that if you have insurance, you're somehow weak or not willing to take care of yourself.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I keep seeing the preventative care bandied about and I wonder what is included in that ? Probably a blood test and a urine sample that will identify high cholesteral, diabetis, things of that type. Will they send you for a chest xray which they say really doesn't catch lung cancer early enough to make a difference but it sounds good ? Dexa scans for womens bone loss ? Will they check for thyroid tumors ? I have only ever had one doctor do that every visit even when I didn't have them and I have them now. A full body check for skin cancers ? It all sounds great but these preventative checks are cursory at best, depending on the doctor.
You get what you pay for.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2102rank.html #42

Life expectancy in U.S. trails top nations - CNN.com
The preventative health benefits are described here. There are separate sections for men, women and children.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-...nefits/#part=1

Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
No, that's what the ACA does. If I or my husband become ill and unable to work our church family will do what is necessary to keep us going, just as we do them when they're sick and unable to work.
Will your church family pay for $1 million worth of chemotherapy for you or your children?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
This! ACA seems like a mess. Other civilized nations have decently run Government Healthcare systems so why didn't the US adopt one of those plans? Instead, they conjure up this intrusive, confusing ACA plan with penalties for non-compliance.

Yes, it benefits some people (i.e.:those with pre-existing conditions), but there are plenty of other people out there that ACA creates a worse situation for.
They tried to do that, it didn't stand a chance of passing. This watered-down "mess" is not what was wanted.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM

I want to add, I have worked in skilled nursing facilities for 18 years, and I see firsthand how much it costs all of us to have a system where there is little preventative care and so many without adequate insurance. In higher income areas where people have greater access to health care, I work with people in their 80's and 90's who come in with strokes, amputations due to diabetes, etc, etc...in the low income areas, the same diagnoses, except the patients are in their 50's and 60's. Many of them end up being long term care even at that young age. So our taxes end up paying hundreds a day for 20 years or more via Medicaid. It is much less expensive to allow people access to health care before they get to that point. Something had to be done, why not just wait and see if this can work to bring down medical costs rather than vilify it without even giving it a chance, especially with no viable alternatives on the table?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Will your church family pay for $1 million worth of chemotherapy for you or your children?
Exactly. And if they can, that poster is fortunate to belong to a church with very wealthy people. People who belong to a church in a lower income area wouldn't have a chance of getting their serious illnesses paid for by church members regardless of their intentions.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Vehicle insurance is required in Michigan too.

The car insurance comparison...well, it isn't.

No one is required to carry "collision" on his own personal property (car) loss/damage, just liability--liability for the other driver's loss.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The car insurance comparison...well, it isn't.

No one is required to carry "collision" on his own personal property (car) loss/damage, just liability--liability for the other driver's loss.
Yep...you don't even have to driver or own a car.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
You take care of your own? You how to perform surgery? Diagnose and treat diabetes? Administer chemo? Grow up and buy some health insurance so the rest of us don't have to pay for your freeloading ways.
NOPE, Say what you like, I don't buy what I don't need. Grow up you say? I'm 53 and a u.s. vet and have never required insurance and I'm not paying it just to be on your "I'm insured" bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events