Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
As someone who gets my insurance thru my employer, I wonder: What kind of **** poor S***ty insurance does your employer provides?

Seriously, a lot of us who get insurance thru employer doesn't have to do what you do.
An insurance that fits my needs.

But ObamaCare has decided that so-called "substandard" insurance is no longer allowed. Because this 50 year old woman MUST have insurance that covers having a baby, doncha know.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OMG, the "public" was stuck with the bill of the uninsured's medical bills, which are a whole lot higher than the subsidies they are getting.
Prove it. Show me numbers. Show me proof.

And I don't agree that we were "stuck" with the uninsured's bills, but why wasn't that addressed instead of dismantling the whole system? We could have started with NOT paying for illegals that showed up at emergency rooms, and sent them on their way. Cold hearted? Nope, just expecting my American tax dollars to go toward helping legal Americans.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Prove it. Show me numbers. Show me proof.

And I don't agree that we were "stuck" with the uninsured's bills, but why wasn't that addressed instead of dismantling the whole system? We could have started with NOT paying for illegals that showed up at emergency rooms, and sent them on their way. Cold hearted? Nope, just expecting my American tax dollars to go toward helping legal Americans.
Who would you think pays it? You think the hospitals eat it? Here's just one article, but there are tons of them: MN2020 - You Already Pay for Charity Care
Charity care in NJ is partially funded by the state, by law, that means tax dollars.

"These ever-higher bills represent real costs the rest of us pay. Don’t let the name “charity care” confuse you: It’s not philanthropy making up the difference in medical bills patients can’t afford. The government plays a major role in financing both charity care and bad debt—that’s your and my tax dollars. Much of the rest is made up through cost-shifting, meaning higher medical bills for everyone."

Again, those who are illegal represent only a tiny percentage. Many of those who receive charity care are regular, everyday white Americans, people who live in suburbs just like you and me. My own nephew had to have it, when he developed a heart infection while between jobs (at age 31). His bill for 2 weeks in ICU was over $200,000, and he didn't pay any of it. Again, who do YOU think paid for it?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
I have nothing to gain from this particular act of civil disobedience. I look at it this way. I could pay the $95 per year and 'self insure'. NONE of my preventive care would be covered, call that about $500 per year by the time I have an annual OB/GYN visit and a mammogram. If I have another emergency surgery, I would need, say, an additional $6000. (Based on the Gall Bladder escapade of 2013)

On the other hand, I can pay $51 per month and have insurance with a $500 deductible. So if I have that emergency surgery, I'll have paid $600.

No need for disobedience here!

And yes, the feds will know if you don't have insurance because it will be part of your tax documentation. If
you really want to practice civil disobedience, don't file your taxes.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Choice.

I do not have to have a mortgage or, own a car.
The answer to not having to buy insurance, which is forced upon you if you choose to live, is suicide.

If you don't want to pay this tax, there is a way out of it.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, those who are illegal represent only a tiny percentage. Many of those who receive charity care are regular, everyday white Americans, people who live in suburbs just like you and me. My own nephew had to have it, when he developed a heart infection while between jobs (at age 31). His bill for 2 weeks in ICU was over $200,000, and he didn't pay any of it. Again, who do YOU think paid for it?
What does a health crisis look like? See Houston

Quote:
Illegal immigrants represent 21% of the county's public caseload, even though they represent only about 6% of the area's population.
21% is not a tiny percentage.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/St...ls-1596889.php

Quote:
The Harris County Hospital District provided $203.5 million in uncompensated care to illegal immigrants in 2006, the report said.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The answer to not having to buy insurance, which is forced upon you if you choose to live, is suicide.

If you don't want to pay this tax, there is a way out of it.
True, but that makes Obamacare a tax levied against people for being alive.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Sillier, sillier liberals. Thinking that everyone signing up is paying 100%, and not getting a subsidy, ie. "sticking the public with the bill".
Oh, you're right. Before the ACA everyone paid for all their own medical bills and hospitals did not pass the costs on to the rest of us. *sarcasm*

Quote:
Prove it. Show me numbers. Show me proof. And I don't agree that we were "stuck" with the uninsured's bills, but why wasn't that addressed instead of dismantling the whole system? We could have started with NOT paying for illegals that showed up at emergency rooms, and sent them on their way. Cold hearted? Nope, just expecting my American tax dollars to go toward helping legal Americans.
You could be shown proof from now til the next century and you wouldn't believe it, because you are determined to hate anything associated with Obama.

I gave up on the P&OC forum because of the ridiculous rhetoric and lack of education and insight. I'm sorry that the Current Events forum has become the same thing.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 21,214 times
I had mixed views for Obamacare. I used to work for the state and had insurance through them which was great. Things started getting bad and I had to move from my state to a more affordable state. I was living off a pension, but had no insurance. Relatives bought insurance through Obamacare and paid nothing for very good insurance. It is not medicare, it is actually a good company. She went to a world renowned ENT and had a $10 co-pay. I decided to get the same insurance and am paying $36 per month. As a baby boomer over 50, insurance is important. When I had my own business making a good living and then working for the state, there were no problems with insurance. Now over 50, it is important to have the insurance. Just my opinion.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
True, but that makes Obamacare a tax levied against people for being alive.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events