Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I get my health care through my employer, but if I didn't I would simply pay the penalty. If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions. (Imagine if car insurance worked the same way, I could wait until after the wreck to buy insurance.)

The young people are really getting screwed on this one. We're forcing them to subsidized their parents healthcare.
The penalty is cheap now, but it escalates every year. By 2020 it will be cheaper to buy the insurance.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The penalty is cheap now, but it escalates every year. By 2020 it will be cheaper to buy the insurance.
Yeah! It's not painful until you actually have to PAY it! Tunes will be different next time this year!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It's the worst of all worlds. The bureaucracy of a socialized system with the gouging of a free market system.
It truly does not get any better than this. Open wide, people.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
It wouldn't surprise me if the corporate and business mandates go away and the only thing that remains is the individual mandate at high premiums. I'm sure as the Republicans gear up towards taking control of Congress in this year's election, they are privately working with the insurance companies and their colleagues across the isle to make this happen. They will probably threaten the bills funding and the Democrats will "compromise" on the burden on businesses. Thus the only thing that will remain is the coercion of public middle and working class money into private wealthy hands

Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes! I can and I will. Or I can always opt not to be suckered into a two week American hospital stay.

Besides, I figure if I'm saving $6500 a year in not paying for health insurance, PLUS the $10,000 deductible which I would have to pay out to get the cheapest insurance available to me - that adds up to $16,500 a year which I can bank. The fine would have to be HUGE in the next few years to be more than the amount I will save - and invest.
If you have enough money to pay for all your medical care out of pocket, then by all means forego health insurance. Just please don't declare bankruptcy or use any public resources that will saddle the rest of us with the bill should you experience a serious illness or accident.

As far as being "suckered into a two-week hospital stay" I sincerely hope that you are never severely injured and never suffer from a debilitating disease.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
I have insurance, but I have a friend who is refusing to get it. He is young, but I am afraid something will happen to him. I understand the statement he is trying to make, but what if he gets sick during this time? His job does not have insurance, and he can't get it through his wife.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I have insurance, but I have a friend who is refusing to get it. He is young, but I am afraid something will happen to him. I understand the statement he is trying to make, but what if he gets sick during this time? His job does not have insurance, and he can't get it through his wife.
The only statement people like this are making is that they don't think they should have to take responsibility for their own lives. If they get sick, somebody else should take care of the finances. There are words for people like this, but this is a family friendly site....

Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would never go without health insurance. We're all forced to buy insurance - if you have a mortgage you're required to have homeowner's insurance, if you drive you're required to have auto insurance - and the fine for not having that is MUCH more than $95. As a contact employee, I will not be hired to work without Liability insurance. Why would this one insurance requirement upset you so much compared to all the others?
You've been drinking the "I MUST have insurance" cool aid again haven't you? It's all fine, if you enjoy paying premiums you may not need.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The only statement people like this are making is that they don't think they should have to take responsibility for their own lives. If they get sick, somebody else should take care of the finances. There are words for people like this, but this is a family friendly site....
Then of course, there ARE those of us who take care of our own, WITHOUT the meddling of the federal government. They can scream mandate all they want but we don't hear them.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Yeah! It's not painful until you actually have to PAY it! Tunes will be different next time this year!
Focus on becoming EXEMPT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events