Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
I'm a big sports fan but I don't believe in embracing athletes as some political or influential people in society. Sports is a form of entertainment. Jackie Robinson is a great player and should be celebrated by MLB for being a great player.

Why aren't we celebrating the 1st Black Astrophysicist or professor and those that contributes to society as a whole?

America pays so much attention to entertainers but not much on people that really makes a difference to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Who were the first Black football or basketball players in the U.S.?

Do they have a special day?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I don't know, but if you think they deserve a day you should start lobbying for one and creating a movement to have it recognized.

Best of luck with your efforts.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm a big sports fan but I don't believe in embracing athletes as some political or influential people in society. Sports is a form of entertainment. Jackie Robinson is a great player and should be celebrated by MLB for being a great player.

Why aren't we celebrating the 1st Black Astrophysicist or professor and those that contributes to society as a whole?

America pays so much attention to entertainers but not much on people that really makes a difference to the world.
But his inclusion in the sport was political. If he didn't do what he did, or at least somebody else, then many of the players today wouldn't be able to play in the MLB. That's the point. If he was just known as a great player then I think that would be where the buck stopped.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
I don't follow sports at all, I find most sports to be a bore but I'm not sure what the problem is with having a day that honors a baseball player. Does it offend people?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

It's not like it's a national holiday where kids are off from school and the mail stops, it's celebrated AT a baseball park. I'm sure if you go to a planeterium or science museum, they DO celebrate astrophysicists. I'm sure the college where the 1st black professor taught DOES celebrate him and memorialize him. You think a baseball park should have a day to honor a scientist instead of a baseball player?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-16-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
A lot of serious baseball historians know about the Walker brothers in the 19th century, but Jackie Robinson was the guy who broke the "color barrier". And yes, Branch Rickey had a lot to do with it but he was an executive, not a player, and he was not physically threatened (as far as I know) because he brought Robinson up.

There is a Roberto Clemente Humanitarian Award every year that's given out to the MLB player who does the most/best charitable work.

My personal feeling about everyone wearing #42 every April 15 is like, Eh. If they did it every 5 years we could focus on it better. It really seems pointless now.

I liked when teams wore old Negro Leagues uni's one day in the summer which they did for a few years in the mid-2000's. They should revive that. I believe that would get more people interested in baseball history than everyone wearing #42 every year.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM

320 posts, read 539,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
It should be Branch Rickey Day because Branch Rickey was first to open the door.
Branch Rickey didn't have to dodge 95 mph fastballs thrown at his head and/or get stitched up every time somebody slid into 2nd base with their metal spikes up...and/or whatever else somebody wanted to do to him just because they knew that they could get away with it

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

yes.
"Washington left the NFL with a day named in his honor. Upon receiving the trophy that day, he gave it to his high school.
It remains there as a perpetual award. Each year since 1948, the name of the Kenny Washington Award winner for most outstanding Lincoln football player has been engraved on the base of the trophy.
"When you play football here, you know you're after his trophy," says Tony BullBoxer31, the 1962 award winner."

Syracuse University honors Ernie Davis, the first black Heismann trophy winner, as well as having a movie made about his life, and his number is retired at both at Syracuse AND with the Cleveland Browns, even though he died before playing a single game for them. I didn't look up basketball, but I have no doubt it's the same.

Why people seem to think Jackie is singled out as being a sports player who has a day where his team celebrates his accomplishments is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events