Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

I was told 3 yrs ago by a retired Financial Invester from Scottsdale, AZ....
"Buy McDonald's"...as the economy goes south , it won't be going anywhere,
hang onto it.
Well, I made a drop...then MY guy said,' Sell, now, bec he didnt know
a drought was going to happen!' Got rid of it all last month.
Also, dumped IBM.
Didn't lose, but didn't earn much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Is it better to subsidize low income workers than to subsidize low income non-workers?
The long term trend is that low paid service work will amount to nearly 50% of all jobs within the next 5 years.
Even raising min wage to $15/hour for p/t workers will not "lift them out of poverty".

The US standard of living is in decline.
And rather than adjust and adapt, people are fighting.

We have morphed into a 2 class system as these min wage workers are being referred to as the "struggling middle class".

Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
It amazes me what the Obama spin masters have done to the sheep. The only jobs this economy has been able to muster are minimum wage jobs. So, what is the solution? Raise the minimum wage??? <shakes head>

How about KeyStone? How about these? Eric Cantor || Majority Leader || Jobs Legislation Tracker

Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
The fact that none of the proponents of raising the min wage to $15 tell workers that there ARE jobs paying $15 an hour tells me this is purely political. The Democrat base can never be told to do something for themselves.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, if that really does happen, then here is the inevitable next step:

Meet the Robot That Makes 360 Gourmet Burgers Per Hour | Motherboard

Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Heh heh..

The burger flipper may well go the way of the elevator operator and the gas station attendant. And many others.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I tend to agree with you on this point.

However, I still think there should be a modest increase in the minimum wage. I 'd increase it immediately to about $9 an hour with a further increase to $10 in probably eighteen months. I'm skeptical that a modest increase in the minimum wage would have much affect on employment.

There are a number of issues that are involved in the minimum wage. What society does with the minimum wage must be considered in connection with other laws that regulate maximum hours, demand payment for overtime, and require safe working conditions. All these laws impose costs or burdens on employers and probably do--on some level--reduce the number of workers hired.

Yet, we have these laws because we are saying that employment that doesn't meet these minimal conditions is not employment we find desirable. Its a threat particularly to employees with higher wages and safe working conditions who may become subject to more pressure from their employer.

In effect, we communicate that if there is someone who cannot be profitably employed at the legal minimums that person needs to seek more in the way of job skills or education. In the alternative, public assistance is an option for that person.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
What gets me is 30 years ago these people would be working in places like Johnson Controls, Eveready Battery, Stanley Tools, etc manufacturing a product. They would be paid a good, living wage with benefits and a retirement (yes, don't tell me no, been there, done that). Now those same jobs are being done by people in Mexico/China/Taiwan/3rd world people. And they are being paid low wages, probably no or little benefits and the same for retirement. I am pleased to see the people in China now complaining/demonstrating for higher wages. And truth eb told, their product probably costs the same to the consumer as if it were made right here. Thus you have the unskilled here in the USA grovelling for the remaining service jobs and trying to support a family. You say, "why don't they go to college and get a usable skill"? To which I say "who wants to incur the thousands in debt when there is no guarantee one will get a job. And then there you are, thousands in debt but now with no job. And still a family to feed and rent to pay. Not everyone can or wants to go to college and yet wants to be self-sufficient. I know, it's not 30 years ago. But still I think the situation stinks. So much for your "Global Economy". It's only good for the multinational (global) interests.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
For working in Seattle, $15 an hour is not so outrageous given the cost of living. Jobs for people with 1 year of experience and a high school diploma are about $14-$20 per hour.

In certain cities, I can see $15 being something that would provide more of an actual living wage.

Where I live, entry level positions are around $10-$11 per hour, so fast food workers (non management) would be earning MORE than college grads.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Perhaps if Johnson Controls, Eveready and Stanley didn't have to pay exhorbitant wages and benefits to their unskilled labor force they would still be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events