Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Anyone still denying 'climate change' is, well, in denial.
I don't think I know a single person or know of a single post that states the earth's climate does not change.

You can look back at the fossil, ice and tree records and see the climate changes frequently.

It seems to me that the "climate change" proponents are the deniers. They seem to believe that the climate shouldn't be changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Ha. At this point all you can do is sit back and watch. Economies and business profits, not to mention man's general disregard for the environment, will drive us until the last barrel of oil is consumed, regardless of the inability to breath the air without an oxygen mask.
Actually, air quality in the US continues to dramatically increase each decade.

Air Quality Trends | AirTrends | Air & Radiation | EPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
its amazing that you still have the climate change nuts out there.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:22 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Chicken Littles will always exist.

They so remind me of all the nuts that came out of the closet before Y2K screaming that chaos would definitely ensue the second the clocks hit midnight on 12/31/99.

They were a rabid bunch. You couldn't convince them otherwise....just like these Climate Crazies.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
do people really want to transfer hundreds of billions of dollars to third world countries under the false pretense that it is to help them cope with "climate change"?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Deniers, sorry to burst your bubble but Climate Change is real and it will effect you and your life some day. Guaranteed. I'm an energy company engineer who voted for Bush the first time and have every reason to WANT to believe that climate change is a myth. However, there is nearly complete consensus from real climate experts and climate scientists that it is real and climate extremes are becoming more and more pronounced. I'm talking about 9 to 1 , not 55%/45%. Also, those few skeptics tend to not be real climate scientists but biologists, physicians, etc., that seem to enjoy their 15 minutes of fame when put on the local Fox News pretending to be experts. Shoot, since Lee Raymond left, even EXXON is supporting (minor) steps to reduce CO2 emmisions and acknowleges Climate Change. I realize that there are statistics and lies but if you read REAL journal articles about Climate Change you'll see striking evidence of rapid change that simply has never been observed in the fossil record. Yes, there have been major great changes in climate but never with such speed and magnitude as this caused by human release of emmissions, probably with the exception of the likely meteor impacts at the end of the Permian and Cretaceous ... and those caused the extinction of 90-95% of existing species on earth. Let's not try to beat that OK with un-reserved carbon emmissions! 100 years ago the deniers will be laughed at as the equivalent to flat-earthers today. I would really like for Climate Change NOT to exist and my industry enjoy unfettered ability to explore, produce, and burn fossil fuels forever. However, I do read, I do try to learn, and I do try to be logical. Am I asking Climate Change deniers to do the same before spouting off nonsense. Regurgitating Fox News or coal industry lobbyiest talking points do not make a pursuasive argument or lead you to the correct outcome in understanding an important phenomenon effecting the world and your life.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Brain-dead Republicans are everywhere. Many of them are old, and Florida is full of retirees.

Below is an interesting article on denial psychology. They are so keen to fit in with their buddies that they'd rather lie than admit AGW is a problem. Willful ignorance is clearly partisan, which makes deniers' motives obvious to everyone but them.

Climate change deniers not stupid, just trying to fit in, says study | Death and Taxes

I'd like to see Rush Limbaugh's Florida mansion complex overwhelmed by seawater, if he manages to live long enough to see it. He might finally make a sheepish pronouncement on his program about scientists actually understanding nature better than Creationists.
Republicans are so narrow minded they even think this is somehow just a U.S. Democratic party concept, created by Al Gore. They have no stinking idea that this is worldwide, that all nations are studying this and concerned about it, scientists from all over the globe have been studying global warming long before Al Gore or the Democratic party ever took up the cause.

And seriously, as if one cold winter invalidates global warming? That is so ridiculous it's hardly worth mentioning! These scientists are talking about a long term trend, not anything you'd see in ONE WINTER!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
The climate is always changing. Look at what happened to the Dinosaurs! The only thing we can reduce and try to stop is the pollution that we humans make. That will take the whole world though, not just the USA. It's like trying to fight for world peace. It will never happen. The earth and her climate is always changing, always has been. It is inevitable IMO.
But that is the whole point scientists are attempting to make. Humans contributed greatly to the greenhouse gases and global warming, so humans can also help to reverse this. We are aware the climate changes, but if humans are affecting the "change" it could affect the timeline greatly.

That is sort of like saying 'why quit smoking' -- people die anyway.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Al Gore, in 2008, announced that the polar ice cap would be gone by 2013.

.......still waiting........
I just spent 97 minutes watching an Inconvenient Truth to be able to say that you are a LIAR! He said "in 50 to 70 years it will be gone".

You and your lie owe me 97 minutes!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
There is no point in denying an outright LIE.

So the sea level has risen since 1870. Can you tell me it hasnt risen before....ever.

Climate change. Oh wait, it was global warming until everyone was freezing last winter...is nothing more than BS.

Just look back when the eco-nazis were screaming about the BP oil spill in the Gulf...how it was going to be a disaster. And what happened? The Gulf microbes ate up the oil...no disaster.

We have to stop listening to so called scientists.....all they are looking for is more government funding so they can keep their jobs

Miami is experiencing much more flooding on major roadways than it ever did before. It is investing millions of dollars in a flood protection system. It's not a lie, when it's already happening.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I left Florida and I won't be going back, even though it was the best time of my life (thus far). When I moved there, we had one, maybe two tropical storms each year. And we had a hurricane once every two or three years, and it was almost always Category 1 or 2.

Yes, there were big storms in the old days before massive carbon emissions -- The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, for instance (that was so long ago they didn't even name storms).

But the truth of the matter is this -- now we get several tropical storms each year, and multiple hurricanes each year. And the average strength of these storms is increasing due to the warmer oceans.

Point blank: My hometown is likely to be scoured off the face of the earth and then swallowed by the sea in my lifetime. Let the fools argue against mountains of contrary evidence that mankind has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter. This is a likely event. And I don't want to be anywhere near the Florida coast when it happens.

My opinion: We are not far from the first wave of climate change refugees. (Probably Bangladesh.) When that happens, it will be a civilization game changer. And just wait for the year the East Coast gets whacked with multiple Sandys and Katrinas in a single summer. It'll happen. Statistically, it's certain to happen eventually. It will likely happen sooner than later. And then we'll see a lot of movement around the US, as well.

We are marching headfirst, and mostly oblivious, into what the Chinese call "interesting times."
You are so right.

And the fact that conservative reactionaries reject the reality of climate change on ideological grounds is lunacy. It's not an hypothesis; climate change is already happening. The evidence is all around us. What is required now is ACTION, and it may already be too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events