Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.

What Cuban said was wayyyy different from Sterling..not even in the same ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I understand what he's saying, even though it's not really fair. The white guy chose to look like he does, the black kid was made by God the way he is and to judge him for it is wrong.

I wouldn't cross the street to avoid a black kid in a hoodie. I would cross the street to avoid a group of young black men in hoodies however. If that makes me a racist I guess send me a flag and I'll fly it.

But I'll also avoid a group of white thugs as well.

Problem is, I avoided the black kids and they might not have meant any harm so there is the problem.

It's not my fault I feel the way I do. I think it's up to the young black men to change their image.
You can't pin the responsibility on a whole group of people when its only a small part that is causing the problem.

That would just be like me saying white people need to change their image because they are still viewed by a lot of blacks as racist who secretly wish they were still slave owners. Completely unfair.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Notice how no one here said they would move or be alarmed if it was a white kid in a hoodie.

So these racists are admitting its not about a piece of clothing but the color of the skin.
You're trying to make something out of nothing.
Anybody that knows Mark Cuban knows he like the lime light and a lot of attention(see the last 2 seasons of Entourage for proof)
With that said, I will say he is one of the smartest mens on the planet. What he said really wasn't that far off nor wrong.
We as Americans need to quite being so sensitive.
Only an ignorant person would be mad at what Mark Cuban Said!

Last edited by hitman619; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
FYI - This world is filled with stereotypes! It would be a rare individual that has NEVER looked at someone without putting them in a box. We do it based upon race, gender, age, weight, religion, careers...the list goes on! None of us are perfect!

I actually commend Mark for coming out and talking about this because it's something we all do at times in our life. Can the lines of stereotyping cross over to prejudice and racism if we are not careful....YES! And I think that is one of the points he is trying to make!

I don't feel Mark has crossed the lines.....going from stereotyping to prejudice to racism and using his POWER to control people based upon the color of their skin. That's what makes him different from some of the others!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 AM

320 posts, read 538,840 times
I personally didn't find what Mark Cuban said as being racist at all. If you take what he said at face value and without putting your own spin on it, it is much different from what Donald Sterling said. The 2 people are coming from 2 totally different points of view.

We make judgment calls about other people based solely on appearance every single day of our lives. Anyone who says that they don't (with the exception of being legitimately blind) is being disingenuous. For instance, if you're a parent going to a PTA meeting and the woman who is the head of the school's PTA comes to the meeting dressed in 5 inch heals, a short skirt and a lacy halter-top, you're going to judge and treat that woman differently than you would if she were to come in dressed in casual business attire. Heck, being judged based on your outward appearance is the main reason that you would dress professionally for an interview (provided that you truly want the job).

Now, some folks may say that people shouldn't have to change their appearance or the way that they dress just to make other people feel comfortable...and this is probably true. But this is all pie in the sky type thinking and doesn't really work in the real world. Pragmatically speaking if you want to dress a certain way then by all means do so, but don't be surprised if people treat you a certain way because of the way that you present yourself. If we have the oppurtunity to engage an individual and get an idea of what he or she is about then of course we may find that he or she is totally different from what we may have initially perceived. But think about it, how many people do we see on a given day and how many of those people are we going to actually interact with on a personal level? Whether you think that it is right or wrong we all judge others on their outside appearances if we don't know them otherwise...it's instinctual.

As I said earlier, it's a free country and part of that freedom is that we can where what we want and carry ourselves the way we want. The other side of that, is that you WILL be judged and by extension treated by others based on how you choose to present yourself to the public. You can complain until you're blue in the face, this dynamic is not going to change. Maybe Mark Cuban could've said it in another way or maybe not. But the intended message is about as truthful a statement as can be made. Btw before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm black man and really wasn't offended one bit.

Last edited by EHCT; 05-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Sentence structure, clarification.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 PM

33 posts, read 46,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's always about the skin color, the hoodie confirms suspicions.
Ofcourse. Not all cultures are equal

Old 05-23-2014, 12:54 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
You can't pin the responsibility on a whole group of people when its only a small part that is causing the problem.
While that general comment has merit, are you not aware that much of black society has social ills that represent a majority of their population in our society?

The biggest one is kids being pumped out at alarming rates to unwed mothers. It is tough enough to raise one or two kids in a two parent household with two incomes. How on earth can a single woman be expected to raise upstanding citizens all alone when she has a gaggle of kids?

The black community use to be more cohesive and had a stronger moral fabric back in the 50's for instance. Then came all the social programs of the 60's and Johnson's "Great Society", and things have turned out very poorly.
So 50+ years and billions of dollars for social welfare programs have had just the opposite effect liberals had claimed to hope for.
Then again Lyndon Johnson did it for political reasons, and even infamously said "he would have the n iggers voting (D) for the next 200 years".
Sadly his prediction might come true because the liberal news media has convinced blacks that (R's) are evil and has them believing they need a handout, and are owed something from white society.

The first step in black society turning around is getting a cohesive family structure back in place to help raise educated & responsible kids. That can only happen by getting rid of incentives to be an unwed mother, with more kids meaning a bigger check coming from the government.
Anyone who cant see that is blinded by ideology and/or ignorance.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.

What happened to the 1st amendment? Do the news journalists (sic) who make a living digging this crap up forget they live and die by that same amendment? Does the average American dullard ever process these thoughts before jumping feet first into a manufactured story of no meaningful substance?

May as well hound every sports team owner in the western hemisphere before they even have thoughts.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
I know this is going to shock you, but it's not up to black people to fix themselves to make you feel better about your racism. The president of our country is a black man. If that's not enough for you, that's on you. Not them.
Well, I guess it won't get fixed then. I couldn't care any less than I do.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Notice how no one here said they would move or be alarmed if it was a white kid in a hoodie.

So these racists are admitting its not about a piece of clothing but the color of the skin.
That pretty much sums it up for me, even though I said I would avoid groups of thug looking whites as well. But please continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events