Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What he said hold true for most people. Everyone has prejudices...even when they don't think they do. So effin' what.
I would agree with that but most people keep it to themselves. A close friend of mine is black and I would never say something similar to what Cuban said in his presence (or to anyone else for that matter) because I value his friendship and wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I would agree with that but most people keep it to themselves. A close friend of mine is black and I would never say something similar to what Cuban said in his presence (or to anyone else for that matter) because I value his friendship and wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.
I guess the question is do we keep it to ourselves where there is limited chance for change or do we open up about our feelings and allow for a discussion to take place where we can learn something that could hopefully change our views??

Personally I think it is better to talk about it. I'm married to a black man and I am honest about my feelings with him. He too is honest about his. Some of the things we say may be hurtful but it allows us to hear each others reasons on why we may feel the way we do and gives us both better understanding. Do we always walk away from it with our minds completely changed...no! But at least we both understand each other a little better and just maybe......it's a STEP to breaking down the walls of stereotyping, prejudice and racism.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:49 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While that general comment has merit, are you not aware that much of black society has social ills that represent a majority of their population in our society?

The biggest one is kids being pumped out at alarming rates to unwed mothers. It is tough enough to raise one or two kids in a two parent household with two incomes. How on earth can a single woman be expected to raise upstanding citizens all alone when she has a gaggle of kids?

The black community use to be more cohesive and had a stronger moral fabric back in the 50's for instance. Then came all the social programs of the 60's and Johnson's "Great Society", and things have turned out very poorly.
So 50+ years and billions of dollars for social welfare programs have had just the opposite effect liberals had claimed to hope for.
Then again Lyndon Johnson did it for political reasons, and even infamously said "he would have the n iggers voting (D) for the next 200 years".
Sadly his prediction might come true because the liberal news media has convinced blacks that (R's) are evil and has them believing they need a handout, and are owed something from white society.

The first step in black society turning around is getting a cohesive family structure back in place to help raise educated & responsible kids. That can only happen by getting rid of incentives to be an unwed mother, with more kids meaning a bigger check coming from the government.
Anyone who cant see that is blinded by ideology and/or ignorance.
Again all I can do is live my life correctly and when I have kids do the same. I can't change your views and anyone else's views on my race nor is it my responsibility to do so which was my original point.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:37 AM

259 posts, read 522,620 times
I personally wouldn't date a guy who's afraid to walk past what he thinks looks like a "thug" or "skinhead". If you're that afraid of random men on the street, you wouldn't be my cup of tea.

I like my men how I like my White Russians.

It's weird how much of scaredy cats people are online. I've never in life seen anyone cross the street when a younger urban guy or guys walk past them. I only hear this "I'd cross the street too; we all would!" mantra online. Most people in real life are normal and aren't as paranoid as some of the biggest talkers online.

Anyone offended by these comments supporting Cuban, don't be. There's only a minority of people who react this way and they are mostly online typing away...

Old 05-24-2014, 10:15 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I personally wouldn't date a guy who's afraid to walk past what he thinks looks like a "thug" or "skinhead". If you're that afraid of random men on the street, you wouldn't be my cup of tea.

It's weird how much of scaredy cats people are online. I've never in life seen anyone cross the street when a younger urban guy or guys walk past them. I only hear this "I'd cross the street too; we all would!" mantra online. Most people in real life are normal and aren't as paranoid as some of the biggest talkers online.

Anyone offended by these comments supporting Cuban, don't be. There's only a minority of people who react this way and they are mostly online typing away...
Bravado is nice, but situational awareness is also a good tool to use sometimes. It's like the best martial artist being the guy that never has to throw a punch because he sees bad situations before they happen. Don't be afraid of your shadow and don't be so unafraid that you're oblivious to your surroundings.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:

Shhh, the men are talking now hun, how about you get us another beer and some sandwiches?

Old 05-24-2014, 12:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
As far as my thoughts, it was very alarming how he associated black man + hoodie = FEAR. So it doesn't take a genius to figure out how he felt about Trayvon Martin. I'm a firm believer that eventually your true colors will come to light. Don't loose sight in the fact that cuban is an attention ***** & has been the only only owner so vocal about this situation.

He(cuban) can't spin this. He tried to say his prejudice/racist thoughts are normal & we all have them & that isn't true. So his hoody comment is a microcosm on how he feels about men of color wearing hoodies.

Since cuban has been in the league he's tried to paint this image that's he is a "everyday man" because he wears jeans, t-shirts, drinks beer & sits by the team. People loose sight in the fact that it's just an image

I wish black people would STOP giving white people like cuban, manziel, brook hogan, beiber, miley, etc passes & saying they're "down with us" when really they're culture stealing & don't give a damn about us as a whole

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:

I'm to lazy to cross the street.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:11 PM

103 posts, read 134,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Again all I can do is live my life correctly and when I have kids do the same. I can't change your views and anyone else's views on my race nor is it my responsibility to do so which was my original point.
But-but-but how will you win the respect of people who couldn't care less about you or your family's well-being!?!? As I explained to my nephew about whether or not he should rock his Jesuit hoodie: they hate you because you're black, so you might as well wear what you want to.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:03 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why should someone have to change to make other people feel more comfortable?

I have done that myself by losing weight,but all it did was make me feel resentful.

Why can't you change your way of thinking?

What if I thought all old white men were pedophiles?

Is that fair?
Who cares what anybody thinks? Why is it even anyone else's business what another person thinks?

Last edited by mag32gie; 05-25-2014 at 04:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events