Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:26 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,601,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
what if it were any other race in black hoodies? not just young black men, but the hoodie thing?
When I see anyone wearing a hoodie they get my undivided attention, especially when the weather doesn't warrant having a hoodie on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,709,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Notice how no one here said they would move or be alarmed if it was a white kid in a hoodie.

So these racists are admitting its not about a piece of clothing but the color of the skin.
Why should they? That's not the subject of the thread.

Focus!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,041,743 times
Meh...Cuban was just saying what everyone else knows, but is afraid to say. We are all racist, but it's not your fathers racism. Its subtle and polite and non-violent. Its human nature to want to be with your own type and to have concerns about people not like you. The sooner we recognize this and accept it, the better off we will be instead of trying to make believe that we are all accepting and not racists. Cuban spoke freely and his words are the same as most white men in America...I change the side of street, i clutch my bag a little tighter, I keep my hand free to be able to draw my weapon, i walk faster etc. All at the site of a black man in a hoodie or a white guy with a bald head and tats. True facts.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,041,743 times
Quote:
How is equating a black kid wearing an inconspicuous piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead not racist?

Guarantee he will be fined by the NBA and thrown off The Shark Tank.
I'll take that bet. Neither will happen, nor should it. Both examples dress to look "hard", to be feared which they confuse as respected. as someone else said here, its up to them to change their image, not us to change our views. We are all racists, lets learn how to make it work.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,071,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You should actually listen to the interviews in context of what he says.

He's a good guy, certainly not a racist.
People don't actually listen or read what he says. People read a headline written by someone that is trying to get hits on the Internet to sell advertising. Therefore, most replies and the OP don't have a clue about anything. Cuban told it like it is and made a point. Sadly, the media is making money off headlines and most are clueless.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,883,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think it's up to the young black men to change their image.
That's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM

37,749 posts, read 46,228,888 times
Quote:
"If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Mark Cuban: 'I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways'

Comparing a piece of clothing to an extremist skinhead? Sounds racist to me.
Oh good grief. What he said hold true for most people. Everyone has prejudices...even when they don't think they do. So effin' what. At least he admits it. I respect him for that!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,920,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
I know this is going to shock you, but it's not up to black people to fix themselves to make you feel better about your racism. The president of our country is a black man. If that's not enough for you, that's on you. Not them.

I contend the POTUS is a white man.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why should someone have to change to make other people feel more comfortable?

I have done that myself by losing weight,but all it did was make me feel resentful.

Why can't you change your way of thinking?

What if I thought all old white men were pedophiles?
Is that fair?

If we were to go by the same rules the MSM uses you are guilty of your thoughts.

Should you be singled out as a RACIST?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
What Cuban said was extremely stupid. Not only were his words poorly put together, but the timing of it was just bad. Now people are going to begin to speculate as to who his allegiance is to in this Donald Sterling situation.

To me I don't care who is on the other side of the street with me, if I am out at night, I would be leery of anyone walking by me or near me especially depending on where I am at. If it's broad daylight, depending on where I am at, I like my chances unless of course if it's a gang walking by me and so for me personally I wouldn't necessarily be ready to walk on the other side of the street. With that said, I have certain cultures that I do not completely understand and as a result I don't always interact with. I don't believe that makes me prejudice, I think that makes me ignorant to that culture. It's a difference between accepting not knowing anything versus assuming something. And I think that's maybe what he's trying to say. He doesn't seem to know how to deal with those individuals who have cultural differences than him and how to relate to that, which is understandable. I don't really believe Mark Cuban's racist but I think he is trying to find a way of defending Sterling and it's just no way of accomplishing that.

It's all 'Much ado about nothing'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events