Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The high rate of mass killings without any action speak otherwise. Our actions prove we have an acceptable level of collateral damage. While murder is illegal we do have sanctioned executions? Also, our high homicide rate compared with other industrialized nations without any action is even a louder voice that says we have an acceptable level. We speak loudly about these issues, but our actions allow a complete different result.
Some of us are trying to change that. Polling indicates that most Americans would not be adverse to more stringent rules (background checks, etc.) for gun buyers. That mental health should be taken seriously by, well, everyone.

Unfortunately, Congress has not been representative of the people they serve, and are more interested in their special interest donors' opinions. coughNRAcough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
mr willy, mass killing have nothing to do with this discussion and the latest mass killing was done by single shooter which obeyed ALL of your beloved commiefornia's laws to purchase his weapons, which by the way, where is your crying for knife control, considering he killed just as many with a knife, quit blaming a inanimate object and place them blame on the nut job.

I would like you to explain how the police are justified in MURDERING a unarmed man 4 seconds after they kick in his door ?
How are they justified in MURDERING a man in his own home then claiming he fired first, when he never fired and his weapon was on safe, again, the police did not knock or identify themselves, then denying him medical aid for a hour ? The man in question was a combat vet and worked for a copper mine, with NO CRIMINAL HISTORY.

the cops claim they are out gunned, yet when was the last time you saw the cops go against someone with a FULL AUTO MP-5 or M-16 ? yet that is what they use against innocent people.

Maybe if the cops would be required to do more due diligence before they are granted a warrant, then these tragedies would not occur, but here is something to consider, the bad guys are copying the cops and kicking in doors and storming the homeowners, and a number of them have killed the homeowner, and sometimes the homeowner gets them first.

Oh, and something to consider, a Texas man was recently found NOT GUILTY for killing a cop who kicked in his door without identifying himself.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I'm not really settled on the gun debate, but I sure as heck wish that we could tone down the whole Judge Dredd thing that seems to be going on in the executive branch of our government.

The Federal government doesn't order SWAT raids on suspected dealers; that is local police jurisdiction unless this was on an Indian reservation or something.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
A woman whose house had burnt down in Wisconsin was visiting with family in Atlanta when a no-knock warrant resulted in her baby being fragged out.

I am a veteran and did two tours in Iraq. It is very disturbing to me that I see the same tactics we used in Iraq back home against Americans. I know that some of these boys are former veterans, too, and I wonder if they ever think about it. I'm all for officers' rights to defend themselves and protect the public, but too often I hear about cases like this where doors are kicked down and nothing was even accomplished. They didn't find the guy they were looking for (note: the Daily Mail article appears to be wrong as everywhere I see the arrest happening outside of the raid) and it sounds like they didn't even find any drugs at all. Even if they had I could hardly support allowing SWAT teams to raid everybody's houses looking for drugs.

I'm not really settled on the gun debate, but I sure as heck wish that we could tone down the whole Judge Dredd thing that seems to be going on in the executive branch of our government.
It's silly that the military has more restrictions placed of them than Deputy Gomer Pyle. That's right, the guys who are trained to defend this country can't say "I thought he had a gun, I feared for my life and emptied my clip into the alleged suspect" like Deputy Pyle can.

"The rules of engagement place the burden on U.S. air and ground troops to confirm with certainty that a Taliban fighter is armed before they can fire — even if they are 100 percent sure the target is the enemy. In some cases, aerial gunships have been denied permission to fire even though they reported that targets on the move were armed."

“U.S. forces shall not enter Afghan homes for the purposes of military operations, except under extraordinary circumstances involving urgent risk to life and limb of U.S. nationals,†Mr. Obama pledged in a letter to the Afghan leader."

"“Due to [rules of engagement] and tactical directives, I couldn’t fire at the building where I thought the [shooter] was..."

Rules of engagement bind U.S. troops' actions in Afghanistan - Washington Times
[/LEFT]

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
1) We aren't talking pigs, we are talking human beings. In this case a baby. The woman's house had burnt down and this was her family. Lord knows none of us have a perfect family, and sometimes we need them.
As a parent, I would never take my baby somewhere there are drugs being used, much less, sold. The onus is on the mother who had her child in this house (right by the front door, no less).

Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As a parent, I would never take my baby somewhere there are drugs being used, much less, sold. The onus is on the mother who had her child in this house (right by the front door, no less).
That's assuming drugs were in use or being sold there; that's also assuming that if they were, she would know all about it.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
That's assuming drugs were in use or being sold there; that's also assuming that if they were, she would know all about it.
Um, the heifer said in the interview that she knew they were drug dealers!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The mother did NOT throw a flesh grenade at the child, nor did she a reason to expect would do so. The onus is on the SWAT team. If it weren't for the SWAT team, the child would have been fine. Some other SWAT team raids:

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...paper_2006.pdf

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The mother did NOT throw a flesh grenade at the child, nor did she a reason to expect would do so. The onus is on the SWAT team. If it weren't for the SWAT team, the child would have been fine. Some other SWAT team raids:

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...paper_2006.pdf
The "mother" knew she was staying with drug dealers. She might as well have thrown boiling Crisco on that baby's face herself.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The "mother" knew she was staying with drug dealers. She might as well have thrown boiling Crisco on that baby's face herself.
I didn't say she didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events