Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I saw this thread in the side bar "Active Threads on this Forum" and started laughing because a picture of Beck standing in the desert crying instantly popped into my head:

Glenn Beck Crying Compilation - YouTube
That had me giggling all day today! Thanks for the post. Love his little quivering puckered lips. Reminds me of old Droopy Dog for some reason lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqt-ENnmHc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 AM

534 posts, read 905,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Then why does he say he is going beforehand? Why not just show up and start helping. Why announce it? Who was it, Sean Penn maybe? I don't know some celebrity showed up in New Orleans after Katrina in his own boat and started helping people and handing out water or whatever. Didn't make a press announcement. Didn't post it on his blog. Just went.

full disclosure: I think Glenn Beck is FOS.
I think Harry connick jr was helping with out grand announcements

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did not know Sean Penn had a radio show.
Yeah right. Because celebs need their own radio show to make big announcements and put themselves out there for "charity" work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
I think Harry connick jr was helping with out grand announcements
Okay thanks. Penn went to Haiti.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I came across this article on the web this morning. While Mr. Beck is a highly controversial figure in his politically charged media role, could it be that he actually is wanting to help? Or do you feel this is a media ploy to sell tickets? He mentions in the article, that people tell him he's losing members on his website, and losing donation money. Does this mean that's an important decision making step for Glenn? One that has to be guided by membership to his campaign, or do you feel like this is genuine?

Here's the article.. ‘We Must Open Our Hearts’: Glenn Beck Announces Major Border Event in Texas | Video | TheBlaze.com

I don't read The Blaze, so maybe someone can clarify. Is that Mr. Beck's own hosted website?

Regards!
I feel like it is genuine.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
I fell in a lot of circumstances, a polarizing figure like Mr. Beck will never be able to get a fair shake at something like charity. He's alienated so much of the country that no matter how he spins something, 50% of America is going to discredit him instantly.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
I agree, no matter how a celebrity chooses to spread their charity around, there's always going to be opposition to their stances. Maybe I'm reading too much into his statements about how it's affecting his "numbers"..
I don't doubt that it is affecting his numbers. Many people, quite a few a whom generally share Mr. Beck's outlook on a great many things, are very angry about the situation and seem to consider any humanitarian gesture akin to aiding and abetting the enemy. They may well see his actions as a particular sort of betrayal to "the cause."

As we've seen after many of these sorts of gestures, people really do put their own self-interests above empathy and altruism. Just look at how many people threatened to withhold funds from World Vision when they proposed hiring people in same-sex marriages.

It seems that there are people who would let children starve and otherwise suffer just to make political points.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I fell in a lot of circumstances, a polarizing figure like Mr. Beck will never be able to get a fair shake at something like charity. He's alienated so much of the country that no matter how he spins something, 50% of America is going to discredit him instantly.
he would get a fair shake if the charity made sense. mike savage said glenn beck is doing it because the mormon church supports illegals so he is. i didnt know he was mormon (if he is). i understand people like to hide behind a "we care about these children thing" but the fact remains that these illegals are a negative for this country. any demonstration of sympathy towards them will be used against america. its that kind of sympathy that encourages their illegal entry and them being in this situation.

maybe savage is right because it otherwise doesnt make much sense for beck to support these illegal kids. unless it is related to his emotional instability.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:18 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah right. Because celebs need their own radio show to make big announcements and put themselves out there for "charity" work.

Okay thanks. Penn went to Haiti.

and New Orleans.....

Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
I hope he doesn't catch any diseases. Especially since they might be stronger than any treatments we may have or unknown to our CDC.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:45 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I'm glad someone made a topic thread calling the kids refugees.

That's what they are. For the first time since the French refugees were driven out of Canada after the war of 1812, America is seeing kids arrive on foot, just as they are fleeing from Darfur, or Syria, Libya, Sudan, or any other country that lies close to a war.

Immigrants are nothing new to us, but refugees arriving on foot is. We know how to deal with them arriving by boat, but not on foot.

Just like those other places, the kids are doing what their parents tell them to do, or, if orphans, are going where they think they will be the most safe. Since a lot of them don't speak any Spanish at all, only the local Indian languages, traveling through Mexico is probably as fearful for them as staying home was. They only feel safe once they see the Stars and Stripes. Our flag is the most well-known symbol in the world, including the Central American jungles where they are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events