Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 AM

384 posts, read 349,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I didn't realize Zynga invented Farmville. That's a relatively unique idea (being that Sim Farm wasn't as well known as its Sim City counterpart.) Compare that to the other games Zynga created and it is an original idea. The rest are re-coded and re-titled copies of old games. Bubble pop is on the old bar multi-game machines with trivia from the 80's and 90's. It's why Android phone manufactuers avoided Apple lawsuits for "reverse engineering iPhones into Android phones, they change it along the way so it's different enough. Plus unlike Apple, most of those games have been out for long enough they may qualify as public domain. Doesn't mean it still is at the least a little laughable to say by just touching up older games and saying they are new, going off of ads and selling lives rather than sales per unit out on the market is a good business idea (because at least EA or 2KSports sell their yearly updated games for $60/70.)
I am not questioning where Zynga developed their products. I knew it was somewhere in Southern Asia but wasn't exactly sure where (it was a point of mention during an International Business course I took through Business Week articles, so that's how I knew that.) What I was was the idea which is irrelevant unless it becomes a patent issue.
Google didn't invent much at all but they just innovated upon ideas. Web browsing was around LONG before Google's chrome browser was even an idea (in fact they stayed out of the "browser wars" as they called them in the post internet service provider age of the net. There was Mozilla Firefox, Apple's Safari, Microsoft's Internet Explorer even ISP programs like America Online, CompuServe and MSN served as browsers. Google Chrome however was one of the first (not sure if Safari links to iPads and iPhones) to phones (Androids.) That means your bookmarks on your computer were now on your phone and vise-versa. Most of Google's big things are purchases (Google Docs, YouTube, Android, Picasa, Blogger, etc.) Google Docs for instance went from a Microsoft (under the original idea that Google bought in 2006) to Linux form that we know it as today.
You're going to great lengths to prove that Indians working for Zynga did not write apps and you're very wrong. The facts are that Zynga India had Indians writing apps.

Google wasn't even near one of the first to sync bookmarks between devices. Active Sync on Windows Mobile phones had been doing before Android phones even existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
You're going to great lengths to prove that Indians working for Zynga did not write apps and you're very wrong. The facts are that Zynga India had Indians writing apps.

Google wasn't even near one of the first to sync bookmarks between devices. Active Sync on Windows Mobile phones had been doing before Android phones even existed.
Where does it say in my posts that I claim Indians didn't write apps? I said that Zynga changed the coding (which DOES require writing) for the apps. You are splitting hairs, claiming that I am "proving that Indians working for Zynga did not write apps." The point I am making is what they are doing is basically the gaming equivalent of using the DNA from a frog to fill in the genetic code of a Jurassic Park dinosaur. So yes, they write it but the design already existed. This is like you claiming you made a unique model when all you did different was paint it different than the box.

Windows Mobile phones didn't really sell in the original form. Even the current version of it is not really selling all to well. Compare that to the Zynga games, we all know forms of bubble safari, puzzle charms, slots, poker, etc. games from other (successful) developers. Microsoft is a successful company but Window Phones were not one their successes.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Go to any multi-millionaire's home and you will find atleast 3-4 immigrants working inside or around the house. Everything from tutoring and baby-sitting to lawncare and cooking.

Millionaires love cheap import labor. Rather pay $12/hr for an in-home cook than $50/hr for an American cook. Most rich folks treat their workers pretty bad and burn them out so they usually leave and not come back after they get burnt out which is why rich people have to keep hiring new labor.
You want to be paid $50 an hour for lawncare?

Can you really blame the rich? If Americans are really so entitled to believe they should be paid $150k a year for unskilled domestic labor, then obviously we need far more immigration. $12 an hour for entry level unskilled labor is hardly awful pay, even in the U.S.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The 'knuckle draggers' oppose all those psychometricians swimming the Rio Grande and sneaking through the fence lines in CA in AZ?
Ok.
It has nothing to do with unskilled labor, obviously. I am talking about skilled labor, which can't come to the U.S.

We have MUCH tougher immigration laws than Canada, Australia, and Europe, and can't hire candidates. We have psychometricans working from Ireland because we can't get them into the U.S., thanks to all the "seal the border" Tea Party idiots.

The U.S. needs more immigrants. Period. We need more immigrant visas.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It has nothing to do with unskilled labor, obviously. I am talking about skilled labor, which can't come to the U.S.

We have MUCH tougher immigration laws than Canada, Australia, and Europe, and can't hire candidates. We have psychometricans working from Ireland because we can't get them into the U.S., thanks to all the "seal the border" Tea Party idiots.

Blame those "progressive" leftist liberals who have been flooding the country with the unskilled. Nope, you can't do that, now can you?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:

Why can't companies just train Americans rather than hire people who need H1-B visas? No one ever gave a good answer why CEOs can't just reduce their pay to allow for more Americans to be hired. More working Americans = a bigger economy. There's a reason why besides the 70's and a 1992, the economy from 1950's-2000 was booming, lots of players. Now we have the lowest because companies don't want to pay for Americans to the job and rather give it to off-shored workers or visa workers. It might hurt in the short run, but it's better for long-term growth.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Blame those "progressive" leftist liberals who have been flooding the country with the unskilled. Nope, you can't do that, now can you?
The U.S. has a lower rate of immigration than most of of our competitors. We are hardly being "flooded" with immigrants.

We need much more, not less, immigration, at least up to Canada's level.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 58,795 times
Quote:
This is all utter nonsense. We have three open positions in my firm, and cannot even find a candidate to interview, much less hire. If you know of any psychometricans, send them my way.
You need 3 people to fill obscure positions, and you call all of this utter nonsense. I fail to see a significant number of people choosing this field of profession. It's very realistic to believe that these would be difficult shoes to fill. It also shines a light on the real problem. Every company is looking for "mister or miss right". You could spend years trying to fill these roles even if you did search the globe. Maybe you need to back off your expectations and accept people that can work their way into this specialty.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Guess you might have to hire a psychologist, and get them some training. Gasp! Like companies used to do!

No really, it used to be if you couldn't find someone with your exact requirements, you would hire a candidate and invest in them, not hire some H1B. This has nothing to do with the Tea Party, or "trailer park morons who blame their problems on everyone else". This has to do with companies who do not want to invest in American citizens. IE their bottom line.
Thank you!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some jobs, Americans will not do. A local turkey processing plant has run ads everywhere looking for help. It is one of the highest paying jobs in the area. But only immigrants will stay there. My daughter, a white American, hired in there with 43 other white Americans. After two weeks, she was the only one who stayed. She worked there for 4 years. People complain about wanting jobs, but don't want to work. And if they do work they don't want to get dirty. The American worker has become lazy.
Back in the 80s, I paid $10 an hour for someone to pick up carpet scraps and carry tools in and out and no one would stay. I have friends with businesses who still have the same problem.
So using the cost of automobiles as an example. In 1985 a fully loaded Chevy Camaro IROC cost $16,000. Today a similarly equipped Camaro SS is $35,000. A 120% increase. There have been similar increases across all major components of the cost of living.

So are you saying that you now pay $22.00 per hour to pick up carpet scraps and carry tools? It's not that we will not do anything, it's that we can't afford to do it for the same pay as 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events