Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Instead of shaming the homeless for the strange choices they make, we ought to be ashamed of how we care for those with mental health issues.
I agree to a certain point and that is.....I have absolutely no use for anyone that abuses women, children, and/or animals. Lock'um up, ship'um out, etc. I don't give a hoot if they commited their deeds because of mental health issues or bad choices.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Over 11.

According to: National Coalition for the Homeless , over 700 who were homeless or at risk of being homeless (not sure what this means) die annually of hypothermia.

So over 11 sounds like the safe bet.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Yeah they chose to have PTSD or other mental health issues. Darn.
Yeah, every one of those folks pan-handling out on the corners of intersections has mental health issues. Sure they do.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Why wouldn't every bum in cold areas jump on trains to warm areas of the south before it gets cold?
There are quite few who do this.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I happen to know two different homeless men. One is 54 years old and has been homeless for several years. The other is just 32 years old. The 32-year-old used to drive a pickup truck until the transmission got damaged. Both men are addicted to drugs. The worse thing you can do is judge a homeless person because many of them have had hard lives. Life takes many turns, and you can never know where it will take you.
The drug addiction will make it more difficult for them to get out of their homeless situation than if they had decided to keep their wits about them.

Many people have hard lives.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
With a quick Google, there are about 600,000 homeless people in the United States.

All the ideas about building housing dorms for them, while great and compassionate to a degree, really rather naive, in my opinion. Who is going to pay for all the construction, the electric, the heating and air, the security, the maintenance, etc. etc? The last thing working people want is more taxes to support people they often consider to be 'bad' or undeserving or better off dead.

I think we need less "government take care of the problem!" and more "what can I do to help?" They are people, individuals, not just "the homeless."

Like this story: Alabama Frat Is Building Tiny Houses For Homeless Because They're Their Brothers Too

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The drug addiction will make it more difficult for them to get out of their homeless situation than if they had decided to keep their wits about them.

Many people have hard lives.
Many of them suffer from one form of mental illness or another. Vets suffer from PTSD earned in the service of our country. Others, come from families where mental illness is genetic, and were victims of abuse, and were removed from their mentally ill families. At 18, they are kicked to the curb, with no resources.
And a genetic predisposition to psychosis.

Still others become mentally ill as young adults, and are disowned by families because they don't understand mental illness, it annoys them, or embarrasses them.

It's not a matter of "deciding to keep their wits about them". Many of these sufferers of PTSD or psychosis are "self medication" with street drugs or alcohol. Addiction is secondary to the real problem of mental illness.

I don't think that many people have lives as hard as the homeless do.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Government created the problem. I doubt if anything they do would help.

There are not that many homeless who are just homeless without any other problems. Families and friends usually step in when there are no other problems.

With our present laws we will always have homeless.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Government created the problem. I doubt if anything they do would help.

There are not that many homeless who are just homeless without any other problems. Families and friends usually step in when there are no other problems.

With our present laws we will always have homeless.
Government did not "create the problem" of mental illness and homelessness. Government could help to solve the problem, though. The private sector isn't going to do that.

Rehabilitating the existing mental hospitals would solve problems of unemployment and would create jobs. Rehabilitating abandoned houses in the Rust Belt, and other places, would do the same.

We need to examine our tax structure vis a vis corporations and the upper 2% of earners in the US. They need to pay their fair share,

That is how it would be funded.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times
Yeah it's quite inhumane that anyone has to sleep outside because they live in a region that resembles an arctic wasteland several months out of the year. Where I used to live you had to even get animals inside out of the cold on some nights.

If you're homeless, the best thing you can do is panhandle until you get enough $ for a passport/Visa and some transportation, and get down to the equator. Ecuador, Colombia, and Brazil are the best places to go...forget Africa. At least you can live outdoors year round there at the equator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events