Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Seems a lot of the dead; so far where not homeless tho from reports.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
the homeless people in my city area are just the worst, im hoping the winter gives me reprieve from them

Old 11-25-2014, 02:19 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
People always blame the government for everything. But they go to the polls and vote for everything. Is it a fundamental problem with our system of government, that people see the government as the enemy, and spend their time trying to survive against that enemy, while not caring about others because they blame the government for those others' problems?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Where are the agitators who demanded the release of people from institutions because such people have a right to be free to roam the world and not be locked up. Why haven't the agitators created nice homey places for the homeless? Many of the homeless were much better off in an institution.

If anyone doesn't know how the homeless situation came to be, study up on it. Most were provided places to stay, food to eat, medicine to take, but a group of agitators decided these people needed to be free to roam around and not be locked up. The protestors demanded the doors be open for these people to leave the institutions. They made no provisions for how they would survive.

Last edited by Rubi3; 11-25-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
With a quick Google, there are about 600,000 homeless people in the United States.

All the ideas about building housing dorms for them, while great and compassionate to a degree, really rather naive, in my opinion. Who is going to pay for all the construction, the electric, the heating and air, the security, the maintenance, etc. etc? The last thing working people want is more taxes to support people they often consider to be 'bad' or undeserving or better off dead.

I think we need less "government take care of the problem!" and more "what can I do to help?" They are people, individuals, not just "the homeless."

Like this story: Alabama Frat Is Building Tiny Houses For Homeless Because They're Their Brothers Too

This hit a snag. It was reported just a few days ago that these homes were "inhumane".

'Tiny home' organizers look for property amid criticism - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Ray-honnie did it and keeps doing it......closing down nuthouses and homeless shelters

Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
the homeless people in my city area are just the worst, im hoping the winter gives me reprieve from them

What state/city do you live?

I think a lot of people think their areas are hardest hit by the homeless. Here in Ann Arbor, there are camps of these people (Camp Serenity - which has just received an eviction notice from the private property owner), and some have gone on record saying they don't want to go to designated places for the homeless.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 AM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
At one point, Jeannette Walls realized that they could have been living in a house that her grandmother left her mother, that all the moving between one dreadful place to another was pointless. They had a house they could have lived in the whole time.

There is no doubt that her parents were not able to think straight.

Which is the situation with many homeless people. It is easy enough to call them a bunch of lazy bums, and while that could apply to some, it doesn't apply to all of them.
Amazing that most of the children were able to pull themselves together.

Many of the homeless I see in NYC are obviously mentally ill. Others are addicts. Some coworkers and I went to a local food pantry, daytime drop-in center to see if they needed anything. (They had so much food donated by the local downtown restaurants that they shipped it to other shelters.) They had a computer set up to look up agencies to see where they could get help for clients. The man in charge told us one sad story of a guy who wandered in one day looking for a meal. They talked to him and looked him up in the system. He was a veteran who had PTSD and couldn't function. The VA hospital had released him with a prescription for his medication, but when the meds ran out he lost control of his mind and just hit the streets. He had EIGHT YEARS of disabled veteran's benefits coming to him and no one knew where he was to send his checks. He'd been living on the streets all that time. That is shameful.

There was a good article some years ago when the mayor commissioned a count of the homeless in the city. They got volunteers to go out and ask people who appeared to be homeless if they were indeed homeless and if they knew where to find services. They saw one guy, and approached him slowly, and he turned around and said, "Hey, I KNOW what you're doing. I read three newspapers a day. Want to talk to me?"

Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
A lot of shelters only take women and children, so if you're a guy you SOL. Heck, I remember they interviewed a homeless woman on the street and she said the shelter said they could take her and her 10 year old daughter but not her 14 year old son
So how is that not sexist? Where are the feminists on that issue?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Where are the agitators who demanded the release of people from institutions because such people have a right to be free to roam the world and not be locked up. Why haven't the agitators created nice homey places for the homeless? Many of the homeless were much better off in an institution.

If anyone doesn't know how the homeless situation came to be, study up on it. Most were provided places to stay, food to eat, medicine to take, but a group of agitators decided these people needed to be free to roam around and not be locked up. The protestors demanded the doors be open for these people to leave the institutions. They made no provisions for how they would survive.
Yes. With the knowledge available in the 1960's, de institutionalization did seem like a good idea. Shock treatment, lobotomy,insulin shock, hot and cold hydrotherapy.
Thousands were subjected to painful and dubious treatments,

Were there abuses in large state hospitals? Yes. There were. However, the majority of residents were not abused, and were sheltered from ill-equipt families and an ignorant and frightened society.

I understand the motive behind de-institutionalization. However, it has not worked as well as was expected.

So, we don't give up. We take what is good from both models and add recently gleaned knowledge.

We also stop spreading falsehoods. MOST HOMELESS INDIVIDUALS DO NOT DESIRE TO BE HOMELESS!
Most of them have emotional problems.They are veterans who suffer from PTSD. We need a safety net for these brave men and women.

They are former state hospital patients who were released.

They are children, who because of our antiquated desire to reunite "families" - lingered in foster care past their 10th birthday. Many of these children suffer from the sequelae of physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. By the time they are offered for adoption, they are ten or older. They are hardened and mistrustful of others. They are rendered un adoptable.

Several good ideas have been mentioned.

We need a fair and equitable tax structure that insures that the ultra rich pay their fail share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events