Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times

Advertisements

Considering that tens of millions of people have "serious mental issues" why are only a few score doing things like this for specific political agendas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
No story there. Maybe you want to check your link? God is great is a phrase I used in prayer as a child. I'm a Christian.

The people who do this kind of stuff have serious mental issues. These are the same type of people who would join a cult or who could be easily manipulated by any given person under the right circumstances. They are angry, probably jobless or underemployed, and have to blame someone else or something else for their problems. If it's not in the name of Islam, it's in the name of Christ or some other religion, Hatred, Jealousy, Revenge, Race (pick any), Gender. These people are twisted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 AM

Well, you're quite wrong. Teaching children positive messages when they're young is never a bad thing, but the pull of secular society and misinformed people such as yourself eventually derails some of these children when they reach adolescence. The secular world is all about sex, drugs, music, rebellion, etc. and funnily enough people who partake in these things more often than not get chewed up and then spit out by society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
He used to just walk to church alone as a kid. I'm sure that did NOT "make him schizophrenic" but sometimes I wonder what some religious teachings do to the mind of children. Probably worse than or on par watching horror movies once a week from age 4-10.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 AM

There was another one in Nantes at a Christmas market, but they say it might be a "copycat" attack...
BBC News - France attack: Van driven into shoppers in Nantes

Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Well, you're quite wrong. Teaching children positive messages when they're young is never a bad thing, but the pull of secular society and misinformed people such as yourself eventually derails some of these children when they reach adolescence. The secular world is all about sex, drugs, music, rebellion, etc. and funnily enough people who partake in these things more often than not get chewed up and then spit out by society.

It's nice to get positive messages of love and charity. It is quite another thing to be scared so young that you must be a "God fearing Christian," "the world is going to end" and that "the devil is all around us." Frankly, this is even a bit scary for an adult to deal with as i type it out. It IS the stuff that horror movies are made of.

I have participated in both the secular world and the religious worlds. Your view is a myth perpetuated by a handful in the "religious world" that encourages fear. Most people with major mental illnesses such as schizophrenia have never done any hard drugs. (Although i do believe that almost all have partaken in "music listening.")

I am sure that I am misinformed on many issues. I know with certain, however, that i am not misinformed regarding the influence of militant religious doctrine over people who are susceptible to developing mental illnesses. It has the potential to be a lethal combination.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:50 AM

122 posts, read 96,425 times
Both Islam and Christianity are religions of peace. Their Holy books both basically say to "turn the other cheek" and "tred gently upon the earth".
But both books also say to slay non-believers. In the Bible, Jesus makes that command in Luke.

That said, religion isn't the problem - radical fundamentalism is.
But most of those radical fundamentalists are Muslim.
And these aren't copycat crimes. ISIS ordered Muslims to make these attacks.
In November, ISIS made a video, ordering muslims to run people down and to poison peoples foods:
ISIS Calls for Poisoning and Running Down Westerners | FrontPage Magazine

Maybe these are nutjobs that are running down people but they are following the orders issued in the ISIS video.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Again, apparently in the name of the religion of peace ...

Gees, I could fly over a school, drop a bomb and yell "Viva La France". Does that mean all French people or the country of France is culpable?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7ski View Post
Both Islam and Christianity are religions of peace. Their Holy books both basically say to "turn the other cheek" and "tred gently upon the earth".
But both books also say to slay non-believers. In the Bible, Jesus makes that command in Luke.

That said, religion isn't the problem - radical fundamentalism is.
But most of those radical fundamentalists are Muslim.
And these aren't copycat crimes. ISIS ordered Muslims to make these attacks.
In November, ISIS made a video, ordering muslims to run people down and to poison peoples foods:
ISIS Calls for Poisoning and Running Down Westerners | FrontPage Magazine

Maybe these are nutjobs that are running down people but they are following the orders issued in the ISIS video.
No. They don't both say to tread lightly and turn the other cheek. Have you read them? Both Testaments of the Bible, and the Koran and Sunnah?

No? I thought not .

As far as the religion of peace goes. Peace in their book will be achieved when all religion is only for Allah.

Read that. Look it up if you need confirmation. And digest what that actually means in terms of religious freedom.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Again, apparently in the name of the religion of peace ...

Gees, I could fly over a school, drop a bomb and yell "Viva La France". Does that mean all French people or the country of France is culpable?
No. But unlike race , doctrine is a choice. In this case, a barbaric and backwards one. And it keeps happening, over and over again. Boko Haram , Al Quaida, Taliban, ISIS, Al Nusra... Etc .

Old 12-23-2014, 06:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I think evil people have mental problems.
It's too easy to somewhat excuse evil people by saying they have mental problems.

Some evil people are just that.... Evil.

Adolph Hitler would be the classic example.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:35 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
Parties like the National Front, PEGIDA, UKIP in Europe are trying to wake their countries to the existential threat muslimism poses. Time will tell if they are successful. Continued incidents like this one can only help their cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events