Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM

26 posts, read 76,601 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand what gives the federal government the right to close down streets in the district to both vehicles and pedestrians. I can understand if there are safety concerns or scheduled construction but so the president or other official can go to church. I live across from national cathedral and on January 21st part of Wisconsin ave and other nearby roads will be closed to vehicles and foot traffic. This directly effect me along with several hundred other people who live in the mentioned area. I cannot even walk out the back of my building because the cross street is closed as well. I literally have no way out unless i were to illegally climb someone's fence and trespass through their yard.
Would i trade my life for the president of the United States, definetly not. I do realize that the position of the president is more important than myself but to inconvenience this many people is ridiculous. The fact that this is a church makes me even more upset. I thought we had seperation of church and state in this country.
Even if i could get out the back of my apartment the only option is using stairs. What would happen if i was handicapped and could not use stairs? If i have to call an ambulance for some reason would they let the ambulance through or prohibit them from entering.
I really just dont get it. Maybe if the government had every home owner or renter aware of the situation prior to them living in the area i could undertand and accept it. A note on the lease or mortage agreement.
I am glad to be an american. I was born in this country and i honestly feel that you have infinite posiblities in this country but i really just dont get this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgers+Beer View Post
I am trying to understand what gives the federal government the right to close down streets in the district to both vehicles and pedestrians. I can understand if there are safety concerns or scheduled construction but so the president or other official can go to church. I live across from national cathedral and on January 21st part of Wisconsin ave and other nearby roads will be closed to vehicles and foot traffic. This directly effect me along with several hundred other people who live in the mentioned area. I cannot even walk out the back of my building because the cross street is closed as well. I literally have no way out unless i were to illegally climb someone's fence and trespass through their yard.
Would i trade my life for the president of the United States, definetly not. I do realize that the position of the president is more important than myself but to inconvenience this many people is ridiculous. The fact that this is a church makes me even more upset. I thought we had seperation of church and state in this country.
Even if i could get out the back of my apartment the only option is using stairs. What would happen if i was handicapped and could not use stairs? If i have to call an ambulance for some reason would they let the ambulance through or prohibit them from entering.
I really just dont get it. Maybe if the government had every home owner or renter aware of the situation prior to them living in the area i could undertand and accept it. A note on the lease or mortage agreement.
I am glad to be an american. I was born in this country and i honestly feel that you have infinite posiblities in this country but i really just dont get this.
Have you tried contacting you DC Council Representative?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Same reason they shut down Times Square before New Years. They put barriers around the epicenter of Manhattan and make people stand in lines to get checked by security before they can get in.

What right do they have? Probably quite a bit.

life goes on.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
Bluefly - Times Square is not a residential area. I think Burgers comment is that people lives are being disrupted by all the street closures in residential neighborhoods and I agree with him/her. I don't have any problem with the streets being closed near the mall and White House but 21st and Wisconsin?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
Pardon. Misread. Burger said 21st of Wisconsin. Whatever that means.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,669 times
When it comes to the government, all the legalistic rituals are an optional distraction. Ultimately, might makes right.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,337 times
I live on Wisconsin and I have no idea what the OP is writing about.

Are they closing off part of the street for an Obama visit to the national cathedral or something?

I seriously doubt your entire block will be quarantined the way you describe it. And I really don't see how you can expect your landlord or lender to notify you of what the secret service may plan to do at some time.

Americans have a habit of trying to murder our presidents. It's been that way for a long time, and so secret service goes way over the top with security measures.

We just sort of deal with it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:41 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Residents will always be able to get in and out when this happens. You will need to go through security and show ID with your address etc...

A head ache yes, but doable. you will not be "quarantianed" as you say.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 33,966 times
The 21st is when the new president and almost the ENTIRE government has a non-denominational prayer service at the National Cathedral (happens every four years, peeps) on his first full day as President. The right that government has to block off areas for security is called "eminent domain" -- all the land belongs to the government when there is an over arching need. Granted, that's overly simplified, but a bit of inconvenience is the price you pay for securing the leader of the free world. And yes, your cellphones will probably go dead while the Secret Service and the President are nearby.

As a side benefit, areas of the District that see a lot of special events like this get the benefit of dozens and dozens of different federal, local, and foreign agencies around to protect you.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Bluefly - Times Square is not a residential area. I think Burgers comment is that people lives are being disrupted by all the street closures in residential neighborhoods and I agree with him/her. I don't have any problem with the streets being closed near the mall and White House but 21st and Wisconsin?
Whether it's commercial, residential, or farm country doesn't matter. A public road is a public road, and if it's in a potentially hostile zone, then actions are taken. The point is that governments regularly close down sections of roads for various events. What should be far more disconcerting is if they establish a "free speech" zone a couple miles from any events where protesters can "practice free speech". That's horrific. Keeping an area clear for dignitaries is protocol and expected, especially in DC.

You have no doubt stood for up to 10 minutes waiting to cross a completely deserted road in the middle of rush hour because a motorcade is coming through. They don't discern between residential or commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC