Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
When Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pacreatic cancer, it was caught so early, he had an almost 90% survival rate with traditional therapies.

He knew better that everyone else and chose to treat it with non-traditional options.

Ask his wife and kids how they feel about that now.
It doesn't matter what his wife and kids wanted for Steve. Yes, what I'm saying is harsh. But everyone's life belongs to him/her and no one else. (BTW, your pancreatic cancer survival statistic is wrong. The best survival rate if the most treatable type is caught at the earliest stage is only 60%, not 90%). Most people have others in their lives who care about them, but regardless of what those people want, we choose for ourselves whether to live to fight another day. This is especially true when our ability to continue living depends on experiencing long term medical treatment with unpleasant or painful side effects, and survival is not guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM

706 posts, read 757,118 times
To those of you who keep derailing the thread with endless repetitions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
This thread is NOT about me, Steve Jobs, or anyone else besides Cassandra. The question was "does she have the right to refuse chemo?". How on EARTH did that devolve into 36 pages of "conversation" about whether alternatives work or not?

Maybe we should stay on topic, folks. I only came to this thread to post her story via the video. My personal opinion is that she should have had the right to refuse chemo since she was so old. You can see in the video that she is a very mature young lady, and she has every right to determine what is or isn't done to her body. Chemo--much like fluoride--should NOT be forced onto anyone.
What part of this did some of you people not understand? This thread is NOT about whether alternatives work or whether the Navarro test is valid. It's NOT a thread about pancreatic cancer treatments or how "so many people" have supposedly died from not doing chemo. It's NOT a thread for Steve Jobs or me or anyone else besides Cassandra.

I don't care what you people think of my situation or what I do. What you think of me is none of my business. What you think of alternatives doesn't matter to me. I have brought myself out of the relative grave I was in, and I did it with "alternatives". Obviously, what you people think is irrelevant to me...

Bye bye.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They let her go home when she was still 17. They are were "allowed" to treat her and they decided that she was cancer free and they sent her home. They didn't cure her. They didn't save her life.
Treatment of hematologic malignancies often requires treating relapses.

Had Cassandra continued treatment, the chance of a cure still would have been excellent.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
People saying all kinds of nonsense without providing statistics.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:43 AM

[quote=bluedevilz;44922826]The 5-year survival rate for people with Hodgkin lymphoma is 86%. The 10-year survival rate is 80%.

The things you are omitting are:

1. Hodgkin's accounts for 1% of all cancers
  2. Hodgkin's is one of a very few cancers with reasonable long term survivability
  3. The other 95%+ cancers don't have such a nice survivability curve
  4. the 5-year survivability for most treated cancers is the same as the 5-year survivability for most non-treated cancers

Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The 5-year survival rate for people with Hodgkin lymphoma is 86%. The 10-year survival rate is 80%.
The things you are omitting are:

1. Hodgkin's accounts for 1% of all cancers
  2. Hodgkin's is one of a very few cancers with reasonable long term survivability
  3. The other 95%+ cancers don't have such a nice survivability curve
  4. the 5-year survivability for most treated cancers is the same as the 5-year survivability for most non-treated cancers
You keep repeating things you have been told are not true.

Two thirds of all people treated for cancer live five years. The majority who do not die within five years will live ten years.

Few people who are not treated for invasive cancer will survive five years.

The sources have been provided to you before.

If you have sources to support what you are saying please provide them.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Two thirds of all people treated for cancer live five years.
Two thirds of people NOT treated also live five years.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Two thirds of people NOT treated also live five years.
Source, please.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
When Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pacreatic cancer, it was caught so early, he had an almost 90% survival rate with traditional therapies.

He knew better that everyone else and chose to treat it with non-traditional options.

Ask his wife and kids how they feel about that now.
Blue, Steve Jobs had what's called a pNET tumor--a rare (~5%) much less aggressive form of pancreatic cancer.

From Pancan.org, a wonderful resource I used when my fiancé fought pancreatic cancer:

"More than 95% of pancreatic cancers are classified as exocrine tumors. These tumors start in the exocrine cells that make pancreatic enzymes that help in digestion. Within this category, the vast majority of tumors are adenocarcinomas. The following table describes the different types of pancreatic exocrine tumors. Click here to learn about types of exocrine tumors in the pancreas.
Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (pancreatic NETs or PNETs) account for less than 5% of all pancreatic tumors. They may be benign or malignant and they tend to grow slower than exocrine tumors. They develop from the abnormal growth of endocrine (hormone-producing) cells in the pancreas called islet cells. This is why these tumors are sometimes referred to as “islet cell tumors.”

This may or may not have factored into his healthcare decisions. Either way, when my fiancé was diagnosed with the aggressive type, we ignored the promise of holistic treatment like the Gerson Therapy for "gold standard" chemo, folfirinox. For 3 months he suffered with vomiting, sleeping for days, weight loss...and the scan revealed his tumor grew. His body was now too weak and damaged to try natural therapy with any reasonable chance of hope. But don't you think we still juiced lots of fruits and veggies for him.

Point is, hindsight is 20/20 and the traditional route is not always the right one. It's a very, very personal circumstance and no one has the right to govern how we deal with the ends of our lives.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You keep repeating things you have been told are not true.

Two thirds of all people treated for cancer live five years. The majority who do not die within five years will live ten years.

Few people who are not treated for invasive cancer will survive five years.

The sources have been provided to you before.

If you have sources to support what you are saying please provide them.

Irrelevant. Statistics are totally irrelevant to someone's life and what they want to do with it. Chemo is literal poisoning of your own body--voluntary torture--and for what? My fiancé is still dead.

Chemo is, by far, no guarantee. Why do you think holistic medicine is taking off in popularity? It's because western medicine has no answer to cancer. In the land of the free, you want to force a largely ineffective, painful treatment on people?

Fwiw, lots of chemo comes from nature. MD Anderson is researching/implementing treatments using turmeric. Some breast cancer chemos come from tree bark. Personally speaking, I've suffered from chronic UTI's for 10 years. Antibiotic after antibiotic, nothing has stopped and dissolve a UTI like d-mannose, a herbal supplement that causes E. coli bacteria to stick to itself instead of the bladder wall, thereby making it easier to flush out.

Last edited by JC84; 08-04-2016 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events