Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:30 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times

Advertisements

In my lifetime (the next 30 years or so) do you think we will see the fragrance-free movement gain enough momentum to ban this crap from public places, the way most states have gone with cigarette smoking? I'm chemical sensitive and have had dinners, movies, and other excursions ruined because I've been stuck near people (women mostly, sorry but it's true) who are wearing way, WAY too much perfume.

Some offices and public places are beginning to go fragrance-free (signs posted saying you can't wear colognes and perfumes into the building). Now it looks like the media is beginning to publish more about the dangers of chemical fragrances.

Fragrance Is The New Secondhand Smoke

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Oh, please, no. What do I think? I think that there will always be a scapegoat, someone to be prejudiced against, someone to try to control, for those portions of the population who absolutely need to make sure that absolutely everyone else lives the way they want them to.

Eventually, the world will be reduced to shades of grey if these folks get their way.

I have allergies. They are MY allergies, not anyone else's, and I don't expect others to live their lives as if they were me or to cater to my preferences Yes, there are some people who overdo the perfume, perhaps because they're so used to it that they can't smell it. That used to be an annoyance, rather than an invitation to control. But there is a whole big area between that and no scent at all, and going to the latter as a response to the former is absolute overkill, at best.

If I see a business that has such a sign, I will not patronize it, and I will tell them why.

Enough is enough.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:44 PM

240 posts, read 239,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
In my lifetime (the next 30 years or so) do you think we will see the fragrance-free movement gain enough momentum to ban this crap from public places, the way most states have gone with cigarette smoking? I'm chemical sensitive and have had dinners, movies, and other excursions ruined because I've been stuck near people (women mostly, sorry but it's true) who are wearing way, WAY too much perfume.

Some offices and public places are beginning to go fragrance-free (signs posted saying you can't wear colognes and perfumes into the building). Now it looks like the media is beginning to publish more about the dangers of chemical fragrances.

Fragrance Is The New Secondhand Smoke

What do you think?
Wow interesting I would never have thought of that, guess it makes sense

Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Nope. At some point people need to accept that the world doesn't revolve around them and this isn't enforceable even if you see a sign. All anyone CAN do is talk to people who are obnoxious about things and let them know it's not appropriate in the workplace or in confined areas when you are close to people...like body odor and bad breath.

Most people who wear scents are not obnoxious about it.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Great idea!

And while we're at it, we should ban fragrance from all personal care products and laundry detergents.

And, all fast food places need to install filters so I am not offended by the smell of their unhealthy food cooking......that especially goes for those cookie places in malls. How dare they tempt me to ruin my diet and my health!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
If they really want to smell good why don't they just keep a hunk of bacon in their pocket?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 PM

Since I was mistaken in assuming folks would at least glance at the link before commenting, allow me to summarize the primary point. Specifically,

"According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) study, 75% of products with the ingredient “fragrance” contained endocrine disruptors called phthalates. Phthalates have been linked to diabetes, obesity, liver and breast cancer, hormone disruption affecting fertility and development as well as linked to ADHD and Autism in first and third trimester prenatal exposure. The National Academy of Sciences, working with an expert panel, stated that there may be cancer-causing chemicals in fragrance recipes, but there is no way for the consumer to make informed decisions. Up to 95% of these chemicals are derived from petrochemicals that are known to cause cancer, birth defects, nervous system disorders, asthma, and allergies. To make matters even worse for the unsuspecting public, many products labeled as “unscented” are actually the fragranced product with the addition of another masking fragrance. The use of synthetic chemicals to mimic natural fragrances has become an insidious underminer of health, but they are not the only subversive in the fragrance industry."

This is the underlying question and the reason the article is titled "the new second-hand smoke". The premise is that this isn't an issue simply of being an offensive odor, but yet another health issue created by modern manufacturing.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
So Op is one of those who believes every claim that makes sense to him. Does he not think that if there were any foundation to claims many suits would have been filed? Basically its a claim like thousands of those out there. Kind of like all those magic tonics and pills. Got to be true ;it make sense to OP and its on the internet.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:03 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Based on your excerpt, I'd say that fragrance is going to become the new vaccines-cause-autism nonsense.

I'm highly sensitive to chemical fragrances, but as with smokers, if it bothers me, I leave.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I'm highly sensitive to chemical fragrances, but as with smokers, if it bothers me, I leave.
This is typically my solution too. Though I've had trouble in the workplace where I don't have the luxury to get up and leave.

I was around (and a smoker) at the beginning of the smoking bans, and people had very much the same sentiment as I'm seeing in these comments: "If you don't like my smoke, hold your breath." That sentiment toward smoking has changed drastically, at least here on the west coast, and I don't see many lives ruined because they can't light up in grocery stores anymore. It got to be a pain for me not being able to smoke anywhere, so I just quit. It wasn't the end of the world, and really, I'll most likely live a little longer thanks to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events