Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 AM

698 posts, read 797,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not to re-open a can of worms BUT respect for authority needs to be taught at home and early on. Someone flamed me for spanking my children and one example they sites was the teachers out there being able to control their classes. Teachers used to be able to spank. What's this teacher supposed to do? There are cameras everywhere. He's not allowed to fight back, he can just take the blow and hope the kid breaks his hand.
Why would I want their hand on my child's private parts?

That is far from "respectful"

This is part of the problem these things happen.

Parents who disrespect their kids are teaching them to do the same to others.

Public school teachers suffer for it. We need to teach parents to keep their hands off their children's private parts and how to model at the very least, a basic level of human decency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:39 AM

698 posts, read 797,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I wouldn't take the bet because it doesn't matter at this point. Either way, the kid did what he did. Daddy, or mommy either, are not responsible for his actions.

Legally, maybe. He's 16. But he is pretty much the man he will be.
Daddy or Mommy may have been aggressive with their son as a means of punishment so when he's upset, here ya go. Parents need to take responsibility, no matter how old their child is. But not all children who act out, are the result of bad parenting of course.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Daddy or Mommy may have been aggressive with their son as a means of punishment so when he's upset, here ya go. Parents need to take responsibility, no matter how old their child is. But not all children who act out, are the result of bad parenting of course.
Instead of being spanked too harshly, I'm going to say this kid doesn't fear his parents at all...like someone else mentioned, there's he good chance the dad isn't around. Heck, the mother may not be around either. My guess is schools have called home quite a few times about him. Perhaps the only thing that can put a little fear in him is a 2-3 year boot camp, the military or prison. I say end his school days and let the drill sargeants have him.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
First thought was...I can't imagine a Teacher being able to steal a student's phone?

What kind of reaction did the Teacher think he'd get?

This is not a risk I would take, this kind of provocation. But even so, it's not the Teachers fault.

Next time, send a kid to the Office instead. Which he probably will do.

What a horrible thing the Teacher had to endure over this rat

This kid should never be allowed to show back up in his class. Even if he apologizes and has completed his punishment.

It's now a safety risk now for the both of them, and other students.

So many problems with the public schools nowadays. We have violance bigtime via the Campus Cops who now brandish Tazers ready to torture kids for nothing...kids have even been killed at school due to this. Last time I heard it was a Kindergarden student who got it.

Charter Schools, Private School or homeschooling is the way to go. To send the kids to the Principals office over these things is wiser than to start grabbing him or his stuff away from him. That is getting physical and that can escalate, which is too bad.

You say: "I can't imagine a Teacher being able to steal a student's phone? What kind of reaction did the Teacher think he'd get?"

Sounds like you are on the side of the student. Yes, a teacher should be able to rightfully steal a student's phone. He is after all, the teacher.

Campus cops with tasers are needed at schools because of thugs like this kid. I certainly would want them at my kid's school because thugs like this one don't always attack teachers; they usually attack students, like my kids or yours. And thanks to school rules, teachers are rarely allowed to break up fights. School administrators would rather just allow the fight to continue, jeopardizing the safety of the kids, which is why we need the campus cops with tasers. This is life in American schools today. And it didn't start yesterday; this violence in schools and teachers being attacked has been going on for the past 25 years. Kind of funny how violence like this is never brought up by teacher unions; all they keep asking for is more money.

Last edited by james777; 01-27-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
First thought was...I can't imagine a Teacher being able to steal a student's phone?

What kind of reaction did the Teacher think he'd get?

This is not a risk I would take, this kind of provocation. But even so, it's not the Teachers fault.

Next time, send a kid to the Office instead. Which he probably will do.

What a horrible thing the Teacher had to endure over this rat

This kid should never be allowed to show back up in his class. Even if he apologizes and has completed his punishment.

It's now a safety risk now for the both of them, and other students.

So many problems with the public schools nowadays. We have violance bigtime via the Campus Cops who now brandish Tazers ready to torture kids for nothing...kids have even been killed at school due to this. Last time I heard it was a Kindergarden student who got it.

Charter Schools, Private School or homeschooling is the way to go. To send the kids to the Principals office over these things is wiser than to start grabbing him or his stuff away from him. That is getting physical and that can escalate, which is too bad.
Ain't theft. Most schools have a cell phone usage policy they have to sign that allows confiscation.

The public schools in my area are awesome.

Your suggestion of charter, private and homeschooling in urban areas is basically tiering which leaves behind the non-cream and creates horrible public schools. Chicago uses this process.

It works great if you don't give a crap about most urban youth and are then prepared to incarcerate them or haul them off to the morgue after they shoot each other over a gang beef.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ain't theft. Most schools have a cell phone usage policy they have to sign that allows confiscation.

The public schools in my area are awesome.

Your suggestion of charter, private and homeschooling in urban areas is basically tiering which leaves behind the non-cream and creates horrible public schools. Chicago uses this process.

It works great if you don't give a crap about most urban youth and are then prepared to incarcerate them or haul them off to the morgue after they shoot each other over a gang beef.
Some kids are bad apples no matter what. If a kid from the inner city is smart and hard-working it's best to get him into a better environment and let him succeed versus holding him back in some crappy urban public school. As far as the other students, most of them were lost causes before they were even born.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd guess that the stats for kids that wind up in NJ's "alternate" schools are even more grim than the ones attending regular NJ schools.

Let's be honest here folks.

If I were to bet you $100 the kid lacks a father figure in his life, how many of you would take that bet?

It's probably 4-1 against (or worse)
I'd be more willing to bet that he does have a father around and his father is the guy who stalks the sidelines during the school football games telling his kid to "kill" everyone on the other team.

We all know that guy right?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When I was in school, the teachers ruled. If we kids knew something wasnt allowed in school then the teachers had every right to confiscate it. They didnt have to ask permission or worry about how we'd react. A teacher taking something away from you was no different than your parent doing it, but these days i guess kids will even attack the parent.
The parents encourage this behavior. They are the first ones to go to school and berate teachers for expecting order in their classrooms.
Look at the incident with the father and the note about lunch and all of the people claiming that the teacher over-reached.

Do people really think that kids don't hear their parents talking about teachers as "union leeches" and worse?
Where is this respect supposed to come from? It sure isn't coming from home.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
But white flight is racist, y'all.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
But white flight is racist, y'all.
What does your silly comment have to do with this story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events