Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
MJ doesn't impair one's motor functions anywhere near as bad as booze. And the impairment it does have only lasts for the first hour after smoking. Furthermore, when you are blazed out of your mind, driving is not a activity you look forward to doing. It's scary, you are paranoid, super careful, drive slow and obey the law so you don't get pulled over.

In short, MJ is not a big issue with regards to driving.
And as I have pointed out many times...

That guy you always see, who has to practically be wrestled to the ground to get his keys when he's too drunk to drive, because he is just SURE that he's fine...

That belligerent sense of invincibility that drunk people get...

It simply is NOT THERE when you're high on weed. If anything, you know exactly how impaired you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

That guy you always see, who has to practically be wrestled to the ground to get his keys when he's too drunk to drive, because he is just SURE that he's fine...

It simply is NOT THERE when you're high on weed. If anything, you know exactly how impaired you are.
Yep. Anyone who says otherwise has never been high and had to drive somewhere. Not a fun experience.

Studies have also found that in long term users, smoking actually improves their motor function. Which is pretty funny.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:

Indeed. Because if anything after smoking a little bud, I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE! Why ruin a nice little hum? Like I've said many times before, for me it's "me time" and when all my stuff for the day is done. Kind of like your husband in a sense. Now, admittedly I use it a bit more recreationally, but it did help relieve the pain when I broke my elbow a few years back, and it definitely does take the edge off after a stressful day at the office! So in that sense it's therapeutic. I tend to be wound a bit tight at times as it is, so it's nice to be brought down a level or two, instead of always being overwound!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
My husband gets the following benefits from weed:
- Pain relief for degenerative disc disease (3 vertebrae)
- Pain relief for sciatica
- Cured psoriasis (used to be all over his body, now it's down by about 80%, to just a little on his scalp.)
- Cured sleep apnea (was also severe, now it's not even a thing.)
- Reduces his mental issues (anxiety, depression, generally abrasive attitude.)
- Caused him to lose weight. He'd dieted and exercised for years with no success. He has lost over 40 lbs since last spring when he started smoking weed again.
Atalanta, I'm curious. If you knew Sonic's name and address, would you now call the cops on her so that her family would be destroyed? I assume you would, because in your mind she is obviously making all this up just so that she can smoke her evil weed (even though she herself doesn't even use it), right?

If you would NOT call the cops on her family, please explain why.

Quote:
It's a lot like Prozac or any other head-med. If I were to take it, it would zoop me out. But if you need it and you take it for a period of time, it puts you at a stable, normal place. You would never know he's under the influence.
That is a great way to word it, Sonic. I never thought of it that way, but that is EXACTLY what it does for me: Puts me at a stable, normal place.
Quote:
Now. Do you care to know how much the cost of traditional medicine is for all of these things? If he didn't have pot, ...

Which means that pot in fact can SAVE social money, as it is a cheaper and more effective cure for many things that otherwise, people would be at the Doctor's office, the hospital, loading up on pills for.
Which brings us to why it has been kept Schedule I all this time. If a natural plant that has medicinal properties, which cannot be patented, which can be grown by private citizens, were to become legally available, then we are talking Billions (with a capital B) per year that will no longer be flowing into the Big Pharma companies. Of course, it took only millions, a small percentage of those billions, put into the palms of politicians to keep the propaganda campaign running 24/7 for decades.

Follow the money.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
I agree, I would never drive after usage. I meditate. I think about things. I paint. I draw. I write. I read. I actively listen to music. Sometimes watch something on Nat Geo Wild. Sometimes I talk to my brother or girlfriend or best friend. Sometimes I have mind-rocking orgasms.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 02-26-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Which brings us to why it has been kept Schedule I all this time. If a natural plant that has medicinal properties, which cannot be patented, which can be grown by private citizens, were to become legally available, then we are talking Billions (with a capital B) per year that will no longer be flowing into the Big Pharma companies. Of course, it took only millions, a small percentage of those billions, put into the palms of politicians to keep the propaganda campaign running 24/7 for decades.

Follow the money.
that's a point I have raised time and time again.

For cannabis to remain a schedule 1 drug, it has to have NO medical benefits.

Why is it then, that the U.S. Government holds a patent on it, for medical use?

Quote:
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
US 6630507 B1
ABSTRACT
Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention.
By this fact alone, this hypocrisy, shouldn't it be rescheduled? Any common sense thinker would have to agree.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Atalanta, I'm curious. If you knew Sonic's name and address, would you now call the cops on her so that her family would be destroyed? I assume you would, because in your mind she is obviously making all this up just so that she can smoke her evil weed (even though she herself doesn't even use it), right?

If you would NOT call the cops on her family, please explain why.

That is a great way to word it, Sonic. I never thought of it that way, but that is EXACTLY what it does for me: Puts me at a stable, normal place.

Follow the money.
Don't forget about the millions that could be saved by releasing non-violent inmates who've been arrested for possession and investing that money into something that could benefit the population instead of building more jails & cutting funding for schools.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Well, Vistaian, Atalanta could try to call the cops on me, but we are in compliance with the laws of our state, and I believe the feds would need bigger fish to be worth the frying.

If I didn't live in Colorado (or one of the few other states with similar recent legislation) I wouldn't be saying all of these things about what we've got going on in our household. And in fact I wouldn't be OK with them going on, for fear that local cops with nothing better to do would break down my door and shoot my kids or something. The "War on Drugs" scares the bajeezus outta me.

I'm also prepared to agree that black market growers (those not in compliance with state law, whether in prohibitive states or those who bend the rules in states that are lenient) may be growing in irresponsible ways and doing irresponsible things, in order to make enough to profit from. In fact it's one of my arguments that it needs to be legal and regulated, because as much as regular agriculture and ranching should not be permitted to destroy nature, and regular business needs a check so that environmental considerations aren't tossed aside in favor of a bigger profit, so this industry does need some regulation and oversight. Which does not happen when you simply prohibit a thing for which demand exists.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Don't forget about the millions that could be saved by releasing non-violent inmates who've been arrested for possession and investing that money into something that could benefit the population instead of building more jails & cutting funding for schools.
Wellll....

I've had to revise my opinion on this one.

If only because of civil asset forfeiture (highway robbery) which is greenlighted only by the war on drugs...and because prisons tend to be "for profit" often enough, so the inmates either have to work during incarceration (or so I hear) and/or pay huge sums of money for "room and board" while in jail. I do know that years and years ago, when someone close to me was put in jail on an old warrant, for all of 2 weeks, they charged him just over $700 for "room and board" which at the time was a couple times what I was paying for rent. I was stunned when I heard...

So the cost to incarcerate may or may not be balanced by that sort of thing. Of course when you look at the overall cost to society, you have to factor in the otherwise productive lives that are wrecked, and the parentless children, and things of that nature. So I do believe that the War on Drugs is very costly to society in the bigger picture.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
I think this is an excellent one hour video. Discusses the War on Drugs and other tertiary issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lakd6QbJ5rk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events