Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times

Advertisements

My wife and my mother both work for union companies (grocer, and teacher), and the only time they ever hear form the union is in November with their daily barrage of letters, and post cards reminding you who to vote for to keep our country from turning into a cataclysmic hell fire spawned by the anti-Christ right wing politicians who will imprison you in their evil corporations, and take all of your money for them selves, and steal your babies as they sleep and punch your granny in the face while she sits in her rocking chair knitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM

100 posts, read 93,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
My wife and my mother both work for union companies (grocer, and teacher), and the only time they ever hear form the union is in November with their daily barrage of letters, and post cards reminding you who to vote for to keep our country from turning into a cataclysmic hell fire spawned by the anti-Christ right wing politicians who will imprison you in their evil corporations, and take all of your money for them selves, and steal your babies as they sleep and punch your granny in the face while she sits in her rocking chair knitting.
Yep, the graphic at the end of the video is pretty eye opening.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
If you're a member in good standing you have a number of powers and rights posters here seem to not be aware of. You may look at local books, for example, in most jurisdictions. You have a responsibility and most union work is volunteer. You may run for office yourself, and apply to be a business agent, usually from within.

If your Union executive isn't keeping you up on this it's up to you to change that. Fortunately, this isn't the thirties and they USUALLY can't get away with murdering you if you questions become embarassing.

F.I.S.T. (A Stalone movie, by the way)

Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
I'm a happy and proud union worker. I worked in the private sector for 20 years before joining my Current Union Job. In 1 year of working my Union job, i now make 8k more than i did working 20 years in the private sector.
"It's the same damn Job"
My Union is very active, and always keeps us updated though emails or flyers in the mail
Every American should have the right to work hard, and Receive Good pay with benefits. Our Parents did and so should we.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
Going to The Department of Labor's own website or any other legitimate site with real information on wage and benefits disparity of Right to Work vs. Union/Non-RTW states should silence some of the anti-union spit n slobbering.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I worked for a company that dealt with the paying of union trusts' health insurance, pension funds, 401ks and other savings plans for 12 years. I have also worked for corporations large and small. I can say unequivocally that I never saw as much graft, lying, cheating and downright crookedness in all the corporations I worked for than in those unions we serviced at the union trust company.

My co-workers and I were from time to time actually asked to do things like administer claim payments or lend money on 401ks or pension funds to the friends of the union reps that were strictly against the union rules. Of course, the rest of the rank and file know nothing about this. I remember one rep got the claims admin to get his friend a loan on his 401k fund so the friend could buy a boat. Loans on these funds were supposed to be for medical emergencies only.

The union rep for my union was able to get management, with whom he played golf every Sunday on the employee health plan. This was strictly forbidden especially because management had their own plan and did not pay dues on the employee plan. No one was supposed to know about this but I found out. Blowing the whistle would have cost me my job.

The employees in my company had to join a particular union to work there. This company hired an investment firm that got caught tampering with the pensions and 401k funds from the union. Many others all up and down the West Coast and other parts West were also members of this union and were also affected. It was written up in the Wall Street Journal at the time. There was a settlement made after 13 years in which union members received a tiny fraction of their 401ks and nothing of their pension funds.

One of the masterminds of the scheme was on TV on the show "Undercover Boss." He is a successful, wealthy businessman in another state who claimed he wants to help his new employees to make amends for the many he previously wronged.

Unions once served a good and needed purpose I will say that. But when they became even more corrupt than the corporations from which they were supposed protect, they became obsolete and worse yet, harmful. To be fair, I suppose there are still some good unions out there. Maybe those with very strong leadership and vigilant members whose leaders actually listen to them, but I saw so many that weren't I vowed I would never be involved with another union again. Experience is a real eye opener.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Look at the democrat party, there is your union dues.
Look at the Republican party. There is what you could have had in dividends.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe unions would be more supportive of Republicans if Republicans were more supportive of unions. I'm a conservative Republican and a union member and am pro-union. I am also pro-management and pro-business. I think we need to do more to preserve business and jobs here in the United States. And both parties have failed in this regard. We should have a high tariff on imports like we did prior to the enactment of income taxes in 1913. The tariff allowed our country to become a leading industrial power and our lack of it now and China's implementation of it has (or will) allowed China to supersede us. I can't say it enough - "WAKE UP, AMERICA!"
Unions are less and less effective politically; so they need to concentrate what they now have in political power. The republicans do not see the need now days. Unions wanted one monopoly to control their price cost to consumers. They actually drove more business oversea in the end.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
What about the people who want to vote Republican but because they are forced to be in a union and are actually supporting Democrats financially with their dues?

And what about government unions? Democrat politicians grow the government with union jobs which take dues from members and contribute it back to the Democrat politicians. All using taxpayer funds.
What about the people that want to vote for policies that stabilize the middle class that are forced to pick up the tab for all of the tax breaks that the corporatists have received in recent years, while turning around and bribing politicians to tip the scales even further in their direction? The union leadership and structure in this country is far from perfect, but it's one of the few remaining counterbalances to the United States becoming an outright plutocratic oligarchy.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Why would that surprise anybody that follow politics?

You want a real confirmation the union got Obomo in their pocket look at the GM bailout. That was downright illegal.
Bush bailed out GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
And what about government unions? Democrat politicians grow the government with union jobs which take dues from members and contribute it back to the Democrat politicians. All using taxpayer funds.
Past 30-40 years has seen government grow more on average under Republican leadership than Democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Look at the Republican party. There is what you could have had in dividends.
I'd much rather have the dividends. Corporations need to be stripped of the ability to donate, something they never should have had. Until then, it'll just increasingly be who can sell out the most to raise the most money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events