Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM

610 posts, read 698,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't get the laughter. How many people have been beheaded, caged and burned alive by ISIS...yet Americans sit and laugh at a SNL parody?

The humor proudly escapes me. So call me what you will, and let the arrows fly. I'd rather die myself than see the humor in all of this.
Dramatic slightly? Your moral high horse must be a clydesdale...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
Quote:
I don't get the laughter. How many people have been beheaded, caged and burned alive by ISIS...yet Americans sit and laugh at a SNL parody?

The humor proudly escapes me. So call me what you will, and let the arrows fly.
Because it makes fun of ISIS and that really pisses ISIS off.

Quote:
I'd rather die myself than see the humor in all of this.
Really?

Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM

148 posts, read 149,308 times
Quote:
Yes. They're laughing at satire, which partially exists to mock both ISIS and their recruits.* Charlie Chaplin did it to Hitler. Sacha Baron Cohen did it to pretty much every Middle Eastern/Central Asian dictator you can think of. Bassem Youssef did it to a bunch of tyrannical Egyptian leaders post-Arab Spring. There's even a theory that Machiavelli did it in "The Prince" to the Medici family after they tortured and exiled him. SNL even did it to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a few years ago when he said that there were no gay people in Iran, and it was hilarious. People laughing at this kind of stuff, especially when it's mocking tyrannical and morally horrible leaders and groups, is nothing new.

Quote:
I'd rather die myself than see the humor in all of this.
I get what ya mean. Whenever I go to a comedy club and not enjoy a joke, I immediately yell "I WOULD RATHER DIE THAN LAUGH AT YOUR MATERIAL." Always goes over well.

*And also to mock that Toyota commercial, which is terrible.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,882 times
Quote:

The humor proudly escapes me. So call me what you will, and let the arrows fly. I'd rather die myself than see the humor in all of this.
You must be fun at parties.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Lol, not that much outrage.

I thought it was funny, and the "Say What You Want to Say" skit was hilarious. I also enjoyed seeing Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith in the audience.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
She's a product of nepotism
and a gene pool unknown for its great intellect

Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I thought it was funny. I mean why can't we make fun of these idiots.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It's ... those idiots who might join them who
are the butt of the joke.
Exactly...they were mocked in a very funny way, imo.
That's what they do! They mock!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
That was great. They've got the US special forces outfitted Toyota truck also. The subtext is that a lot of the public knows that ISIS is fake even if the media and the government is still promoting the group.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Dramatic slightly? Your moral high horse must be a clydesdale...
Like the Clydesdale reference, I'd also add - zero sense of irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events