Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Perhaps the man likes babies, has one of his own. Maybe he is blind and really can't see a thing. Maybe he sleeps with his eyes open, who knows. Indeed, context is everything, isn't it. I highly doubt the first reaction by a woman would be to inquire but rather, complain. You see how slippery the slope gets?
You can make all of the exceptions you want to your imaginary scenario of a man staring. I would bet a man staring would be a very uncommon scenario. I nursed both of my kids in public, discreetly but without a blanket and never had any issues with anyone staring at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times
Quote:

Who is "we"? Please follow the thread, you're way off.
You're way off if you cant make out a thought from a un-understood 2 letters. We is me, and those that think like me.

"if u cn rd ths..." I guess that has you totally dumbfounded then?

Quote:
Yes, how many women, seeing what appears to be a man staring at them thinks at first anything but they are a pervert or worse? How many would bother to ascertain the intent before becoming defensive or offensive, judging first and asking later? I thought so. If only one man stares, does the woman say, "its only one guy" or is that enough to initiate the thought or complaint. Here we have a case of wanting the cake, eating it too but forbidding anyone else a bite. It is so obvious.
I agree. Guess Im not as off as you want to believe.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
It all boils down to this: no one has yet shown that covering can't be done comfortably for both mother and baby. What has been shown beyond question is that apparently, women posting here just don't want to or think a breast feeding mother should when asked, to d so. If there is no harm to the mother or baby, then why in the face of a complaint is there such resistance? It sure looks like the me me me and to heck with anyone else thing. Now, if anyone can prove covering with the many solutions available to breast feeding mothers these days would harm either mother or baby, ok but that hasn't been the case. What has been the case is a simple "I don't want to". To that I say, the world doesn't revolve around you and your baby. Yea, I have had children and yes they breast fed and mother covered because she considered others, not just herself. The children were not harmed and they were comfortable because that is the mothers job, to find ways to make it comfortable, not just stand on her heels and demand everyone else just deal with it. Too bad that social skill seems to be so lacking in many of today's mothers.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It all boils down to this: no one has yet shown that covering can't be done comfortably for both mother and baby. What has been shown beyond question is that apparently, women posting here just don't want to or think a breast feeding mother should when asked, to d so. If there is no harm to the mother or baby, then why in the face of a complaint is there such resistance? It sure looks like the me me me and to heck with anyone else thing. Now, if anyone can prove covering with the many solutions available to breast feeding mothers these days would harm either mother or baby, ok but that hasn't been the case. What has been the case is a simple "I don't want to". To that I say, the world doesn't revolve around you and your baby. Yea, I have had children and yes they breast fed and mother covered because she considered others, not just herself. The children were not harmed and they were comfortable because that is the mothers job, to find ways to make it comfortable, not just stand on her heels and demand everyone else just deal with it. Too bad that social skill seems to be so lacking in many of today's mothers.
You still haven't commented on the photo of this woman, nursing without a cover, discreetly. Please tell us what you think. United Airlines attendant angers breastfeeding mother - British Columbia - CBC News

Many babies will push a blanket off and will refuse to nurse covered. My first child was like that. She would cause more of a scene with her protest to the cover then if I just nursed her discreetly without one.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
You're way off if you cant make out a thought from a un-understood 2 letters. We is me, and those that think like me.

"if u cn rd ths..." I guess that has you totally dumbfounded then?
I

I agree. Guess Im not as off as you want to believe.
I see, insults come out sooner or later. Thanks for that, at least now I know who can maintain a discussion without resorting to childlike behavior and who can't. I do not recall insulting anyone. Bye bye to you.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You still haven't commented on the photo of this woman, nursing without a cover, discreetly. Please tell us what you think. United Airlines attendant angers breastfeeding mother - British Columbia - CBC News

Many babies will push a blanket off and will refuse to nurse covered. My first child was like that. She would cause more of a scene with her protest to the cover then if I just nursed her discreetly without one.
That is completely understandable, and were someone to complain, easily explained and if that explanation was not acceptable, I would be first in line to defend the mother's position. That isn't the issue though. I see a difference in a willingness to do something and an inability to do it because of a circumstance as you cited as two very different things. The baby has a say and if they would push off a cover, they are saying it. At that point, feeding is the overriding priority. If however, the baby would feed covered then why not?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That is completely understandable, and were someone to complain, easily explained and if that explanation was not acceptable, I would be first in line to defend the mother's position. That isn't the issue though. I see a difference in a willingness to do something and an inability to do it because of a circumstance as you cited as two very different things.
What do you think of the photo? Discreet?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
The flight attendant was rude about it, but let's face it -- the breast is an intimate part of the anatomy that not everyone wants to see. I don't think a little bit of discretion in public is out of the question.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Why shouldnt they??

Nothing sexual about a breast!!!!! -- BREAST FEEDING IS NATURAL...... This country is so messed up i cant even type!!
Going to the bathroom is natural, too, and I don't do it in front of a plane full of other people.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The flight attendant was rude about it, but let's face it -- the breast is an intimate part of the anatomy that not everyone wants to see. I don't think a little bit of discretion in public is out of the question.
Nursing under a blanket is not the only way to be discreet. This is a photo of the mother in question nursing with a tank top on, which is how she was said to have been nursing on the plane. What do you think? Discreet or not?
United Airlines attendant angers breastfeeding mother - British Columbia - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events