Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
If you're just going to sit there and STARE like some kind of creeper, then yeah, I'd probably be less than comfortable. You could be contemplating taking me as a hostage, or plotting a kidnapping, or maybe you have some kind of breast feeding fetish. Who knows? Why are you staring, creeper guy?

If you happen to sit next to me while I'm nursing a child and you look me in the eyes and make random polite chit chat, like a normal person, fine.

If you were eating your McDonald's out of a bag, and I sat there and ogled you while doing so, how would you feel?
I would feel bad that you couldnt afford your own McDonalds, lol.

No, they would be watching you do something perfectly natural, right? If you cant cover yourself, you want everyone to watch, dont you? Yes you do, cause its natural.

Do women really expect to have it both ways, and selectively call people 'creepers' based on whether or not they appreciate the attention they are bringing onto themselves? Really??

Should your husband become uncomfortable too (if one happens to be with you)?

Well no, he shouldnt if he feels its perfectly natural too. That man is just watching you do something perfectly natural, so he has no reason to lose his temper.

Let's say the 8 year old boy/girl seated in front of you peers over the seat back while he/she stares and giggles the whole time out of sheer juvenile curiocity - do you have a right to get annoyed at him/her, while a light covering could have prevented any problem?

No, its perfectly natural for children to be curious. And, how dare you say a word to any mothers child, tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,387 times
Americans as a whole, but especially in the South are too prudish. When Janet Jackson's nipple was exposed for 6 seconds during the Super Bowl performance, you would have thought there was a major earthquake based on the backlash. Why so much uneasiness with breast and nipples?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 PM

Im not uneasy with a man's penis, but that doesnt mean if there is a perfectly natural reason for them all to start whipping them out in their seat on a plane, that I want to see it.

Maybe it was stuffy on the plane, and their testicles needed some air...perfectly natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You'd think by the animosity that someone was asking to get their teet in the middle of things to help feed the baby.

When it comes to an air flight, aren't you the one getting into plane stuffed with people like a sardine can? So give it a break and meet people half way, you're not the only one on the flight.

Personally, I think people who take new borns and still breast feeding babies on a plane are about as ignorant of sanitary concerns as cows stepping in their own manure. but that is another story. Same applies to the breast feeders going to the movies. Are ya spraying your baby with lysol afterwards?
LOL!

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-14-2015 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2015, 08:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times

No, they would be watching you do something perfectly natural, right? If you cant cover yourself, you want everyone to watch, dont you? Yes you do, cause its natural.

Do I want everyone to watch? What an odd question. No, I do not expect everyone to watch me feed my child. They may notice that I am doing so, but I don't expect them to dwell upon it.

Do women really expect to have it both ways, and selectively call people 'creepers' based on whether or not they appreciate the attention they are bringing onto themselves? Really??

See, the problem with that statement is that I am not trying to bring attention to myself. I'm merely feeding a hungry child. Feel free to notice it, I don't care. But, don't make it into a big deal. It's not, or it shouldn't be.

My husband would probably have his headphones on, his eyes closed, and his mind on the beach.

Well no, he shouldnt if he feels its perfectly natural too. That man is just watching you do something perfectly natural, so he has no reason to lose his temper.

If he happened to notice somebody staring at me for no good reason, he might politely ask you if he could help you.

Let's say the 8 year old boy/girl seated in front of you peers over the seat back while he/she stares and giggles the whole time out of sheer juvenile curiocity - do you have a right to get annoyed at him/her, while a light covering could have prevented any problem?

I'd feel sorry that the parents of this child had not taught him/her any manners. Fortunately, nothing like that ever happened to me. I did once have a 4-year old boy ask me, in total innocence, "What you are doing?" I told him I was feeding my baby. "Doesn't she drink from bottles?" I told him that yes, sometimes she did, but she also drank milk from me ,too. "Oh." and he turned back to his electronic device, and that was the end of it.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
If the woman doesn't mind her breast showing, I sure as hell don't.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If the woman doesn't mind her breast showing, I sure as hell don't.
Very open minded of you, Scotty.

Unfortunately for you, the way I breast fed my children in public, you wouldn't have got much of a show. It was something like this:

https://www.nestlebaby.com.au/wp-con...astfeeding.jpg

Not too exciting, for most people.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Do I want everyone to watch? What an odd question. No, I do not expect everyone to watch me feed my child. They may notice that I am doing so, but I don't expect them to dwell upon it.

Would you have a problem covering yourself if someone asked - or if you knew other passengers complained?

See, the problem with that statement is that I am not trying to bring attention to myself. I'm merely feeding a hungry child. Feel free to notice it, I don't care. But, don't make it into a big deal. It's not, or it shouldn't be.

It wouldnt be, if you were covered.

My husband would probably have his headphones on, his eyes closed, and his mind on the beach.

If he happened to notice somebody staring at me for no good reason, he might politely ask you if he could help you.

And if I said, no. Im just watching your wife feed the baby? What then?

I'd feel sorry that the parents of this child had not taught him/her any manners. Fortunately, nothing like that ever happened to me. I did once have a 4-year old boy ask me, in total innocence, "What you are doing?" I told him I was feeding my baby. "Doesn't she drink from bottles?" I told him that yes, sometimes she did, but she also drank milk from me ,too. "Oh." and he turned back to his electronic device, and that was the end of it.
And, you dont think people feel the same way about you - the manners thing? If you would cover yourself because you knew others were uncomfortable, then you are not what is being debated. If you have manners and common courtesy is important to you, then you would naturally cover yourself to make others more comfortable, correct?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 PM

Would you have a problem covering yourself if someone asked - or if you knew other passengers complained?

Yes. Because I am already as covered as common decency requires. Did you look at the link I posted in the previous thread? Here it is again:

This is the picture of a typical woman breast feeding in public. I am not making a scene, I am not exposing myself. Mind your own business and leave me and my child alone.

You are the one making it into a big deal, not I. The problem is you. I'm not going to take responsibility for your irrational notions. And, as I've stated before, I *AM* covered. I don't feel the need to hide under a blanket or tent while my child nurses, any more than I'd feel compelled to hide a bottle-feeding child.

f he happened to notice somebody staring at me for no good reason, he might politely ask you if he could help you.

I don't really know "what then". Nothing like that has ever happened to me, and it's hard for me to imagine how my husband would react. I suppose it would depend upon the vibe you were giving - were you being a jerk, or were you smiling in an approving manner? Personally, *I* probably wouldn't notice you staring in the first place, or if I did, I wouldn't assume any ill intent.

If you have manners and common courtesy is important to you, then you would naturally cover yourself to make others more comfortable, correct?

As I've said before, I'm relatively discrete without using any additional covers, beyond my own shirt and the child's head/body. I don't share your belief that an additional blanket or covering is necessary.

Honestly, there is little to no part of my breast exposed when my child is nursing. If you are uncomfortable with it, it is probably not the skin itself that is making you squeamish, because there isn't any (or very little). It's the knowledge that somebody is nursing, period. There's a little person sucking on my breast, right in front of you, and to many people, that's an act that is primarily sexual. I'm not sure how an additional blanket or tent makes it any better.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
It's 1am on a Saturday night and I'm stuck home with a cold. Was hoping the link would be a bit more risqué than that

Quote:
Very open minded of you, Scotty.

Unfortunately for you, the way I breast fed my children in public, you wouldn't have got much of a show. It was something like this:

Not too exciting, for most people.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:

Yes. Because I am already as covered as common decency requires. Did you look at the link I posted in the previous thread? Here it is again:

This is the picture of a typical woman breast feeding in public. I am not making a scene, I am not exposing myself. Mind your own business and leave me and my child alone.

You are the one making it into a big deal, not I. The problem is you. I'm not going to take responsibility for your irrational notions. And, as I've stated before, I *AM* covered. I don't feel the need to hide under a blanket or tent while my child nurses, any more than I'd feel compelled to hide a bottle-feeding child.

f he happened to notice somebody staring at me for no good reason, he might politely ask you if he could help you.

I don't really know "what then". Nothing like that has ever happened to me, and it's hard for me to imagine how my husband would react. I suppose it would depend upon the vibe you were giving - were you being a jerk, or were you smiling in an approving manner? Personally, *I* probably wouldn't notice you staring in the first place, or if I did, I wouldn't assume any ill intent.

If you have manners and common courtesy is important to you, then you would naturally cover yourself to make others more comfortable, correct?

As I've said before, I'm relatively discrete without using any additional covers, beyond my own shirt and the child's head/body. I don't share your belief that an additional blanket or covering is necessary.

Honestly, there is little to no part of my breast exposed when my child is nursing. If you are uncomfortable with it, it is probably not the skin itself that is making you squeamish, because there isn't any (or very little). It's the knowledge that somebody is nursing, period. There's a little person sucking on my breast, right in front of you, and to many people, that's an act that is primarily sexual. I'm not sure how an additional blanket or tent makes it any better.
I agree with you. The idea that the only way to be discreet is to use a blanket is silly. I also agree that some people are simply offended by the idea of breastfeeding and when it's going on near them, that is enough to make them uncomfortable which may lead some, like the FA in the story to want to do something to help ease their discomfort and in his case that something was to tell her husband to help her cover herself with a blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events