Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
To a complete stranger in a public setting? No.
Ok, I can accept that. Do you however believe it is wrong to do is it that you choose not to do it yourself. I ask because that goes to the core of my point, the ability to tolerate a question that does not accompany any requirement to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Read you own post above. YOU can't think of a reason. See? It always comes back to what you think. Who gave you the right to judge what others think or feel and then decide that if they ask a question, they are wrong. Were you elected to some position to do that? Tell me, does the question harm you if you aren't forced to do anything in response other than say no? If so, explain the harm. If you so object the people asking a question, then fine, I take offense to your questions, are you now forced not to ask them? Apply what you demand of others and apply the same to yourself. But that is hard isn't it, because it is so much easier to say do as I say and not as I do, isn't it?
You are free to ask people to cover up. Let us know how it goes when you actually do this in real life. I'd love to hear how people respond. I would bet that most people would think your request was extremely rude. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:31 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Quote:
Ok, I can accept that. Do you however believe it is wrong to do is it that you choose not to do it yourself. I ask because that goes to the core of my point, the ability to tolerate a question that does not accompany any requirement to do something.

Yes, it is wrong. If the person is doing something that is perfectly legal, why should you go and voice your objection. What gives you the right to say what they should or should not do?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You are free to ask people to cover up. Let us know how it goes when you actually do this in real life. I'd love to hear how people respond. I would bet that most people would think your request was extremely rude. Good luck.
Oh no, another non reader. Please follow the thread or please save the bandwidth. I have no issues with breastfeeding women, including in public, you'd know that if you bothered to to find out but know you know too. Just how many times must you be informed? Just say how many times and I'll accommodate you. Women of good character will respond with a "no", and explanation or accommodation if asked though. Those who can't tolerate a simple question will make a scene.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Yes, it is wrong. If the person is doing something that is perfectly legal, why should you go and voice your objection. What gives you the right to say what they should or should not do?
Free speech is a right and was given to all just for being a human being or do you say that in this subject no such thing exists? We are after all, talking about public space. You favor restricting or eliminating free speech for this topic?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Men of good character wouldn't ask something so ridiculous as it has nothing to do with him.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times
Quote:
If a stranger asks someone to stop doing what they are doing it can get really awkward. There are times that yes, I can understand someone asking someone to modify their behaviour. I understand your point, its just that so many women are trying to be modest while breastfeeding that they feel personally insulted if someone says something.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Oh no, another non reader. Please follow the thread or please save the bandwidth. I have no issues with breastfeeding women, including in public, you'd know that if you bothered to to find out but know you know too. Just how many times must you be informed? Just say how many times and I'll accommodate you. Women of good character will respond with a "no", and explanation or accommodation if asked though. Those who can't tolerate a simple question will make a scene.

I've been participating in this thread for awhile. Women of good character will respond however they choose to a request from a stranger to use a blanket. Why would they have to be polite to an impolite request? If someone told me to cover up and I was already being discreet, I may respond in a number of different ways depending on my mood. I might laugh at them. I might just say "no", I might tell them to mind their own business, I might shoot them the death stare. Who knows. I do know that the request would bother me a lot because it's extremely rude.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Free speech is a right and was given to all just for being a human being or do you say that in this subject no such thing exists? We are after all, talking about public space. You favor restricting or eliminating free speech for this topic?
People are free to make rude requests but they shouldn't be surprised when the person they made the rude request of exercises her right to free speech and tells them to mind their own business and go away.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
It is a shame that those demanding tolerance can't tolerate a question. Why couldn't you simply reply with "no" and not even give it a thought past that? You see, this isn't about a specific example anymore and hasn't been for a long time, it is about a principle of intolerance to a question and taking offense to a question. That reasoning as it seems to be, is prevalent as a standard of behavior, going by many of the comments.
The way the forum works is that if someone does not quote you in their response, there is no reason to assume they are replying specifically to you. in general posts w/o a specific quote are in response to the OP which is the purpose of any thread, and what my post was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events