Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe in your head it is but in reality, no it's not. Asking someone to cover up or please find a private spot is in no way, no how telling them to not feed their kid. Period. End of story.

Not feed their kid in your view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Why exactly was this mother "outraged"? She was simply offered something to cover herself. Or am I missing the outrageous part?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM

215 posts, read 260,025 times
Everything that is related to toddlers and infants is considered wrong by some Americans.
I used to breastfeed my daughter before and during take off every time we flew. It really calms them and the sucking motion helps so that their ears don't get clogged. Also, breastfeeding tanks expose only the nipples and a tiny portion of the breast and with the baby latched on , nothing can be seen. I only ever used covers when feeding with normal outfits.

I agree that manners are missing though. There were so many ways for the attendant to get his point across and saying something like "Could you please use a cover " and politely offering one would have been better than what this article stated. Shame on the flight attendant.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Everything that is related to toddlers and infants is considered wrong by some Americans.
I used to breastfeed my daughter before and during take off every time we flew. It really calms them and the sucking motion helps so that their ears don't get clogged. Also, breastfeeding tanks expose only the nipples and a tiny portion of the breast and with the baby latched on , nothing can be seen. I only ever used covers when feeding with normal outfits.

I agree that manners are missing though. There were so many ways for the attendant to get his point across and saying something like "Could you please use a cover " and politely offering one would have been better than what this article stated. Shame on the flight attendant.
Yes, those nursing shirts do work, although I am sure today they can be very expensive. Another point. Even if no breast is visible, I wonder if some would still complain about the SUCKING noises that many babies make while nursing. It would not suprise me if people complained about that too. They might not be able to SEE a baby breastfeeding, but they might be able to HEAR breastfeeding going on.

Is it really the sight of a breast or just the ACT of breastfeeding? I think with far too many people it is the latter.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Then don't be surprised by someone not enjoying seeing you breastfeed your kid at a restaurant table & to talk to management or to you yourself. It's really such a burden to have some manners & not do that at a table where people eat & can see you? Again, some people have no manners.

Maybe you should ask the management if they could isolate you and the rest of the prudes from normal people. maybe put a table in the bathroom.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
What is the big deal with you people that are offended by this. Over the years I have seen many mothers breastfeeding their children and it is absolutely nothing offensive about it. My God some of you belong back in the Puritan days. It is the most natural thing in the world.

Last edited by Scotty011; 03-16-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
I wish some adults would cover up while eating....or preferably not eat in public.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM

506 posts, read 426,192 times
Quote:
Maybe in your head it is but in reality, no it's not. Asking someone to cover up or please find a private spot is in no way, no how telling them to not feed their kid. Period. End of story.
There is no reason to ask a breastfeeding mother to do anything other than to breastfeed her child.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why exactly was this mother "outraged"? She was simply offered something to cover herself. Or am I missing the outrageous part?
Don't you think the mom would have used a blanket herself if she felt it was necessary. According to the article, she already had one on her lap so it wasn't a matter of her not having a blanket. Would it be ok for me to walk up to an obese person and offer them a diet pill? Neither the blanket or my example of offering an obese person a diet pill would be examples of kind offers. Both are examples of rude offers.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Why are americans so uncomfortable with their body parts??? I'll never understand what you people find so disrespectful about breasts?

Do they even realize they ALL came out of their mother's uterus ans YES, she had sex to make them babies.

EVERYONE's mother had sex and probably liked it (I hope so).

Ridiculous.

Last edited by personne; 03-16-2015 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events