Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM

672 posts, read 789,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hahaha, that's funny you actually believe that.
I usually agree with you, but in this case, I think that if a person is offended by breast feeding, they're offended by it no matter the attractiveness of the woman, and if they aren't bothered by it, then the attractiveness of the woman isn't a issue, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM

506 posts, read 426,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
i bet it would
You bet, if people saw a woman they find unattractive breastfeeding in public that they would suddenly be against all women breastfeeding in public, or only women they find unattractive breastfeeding in public?

If I see a woman that I am not attracted to wearing yoga pants, I'm not suddenly against all women wearing yoga pants, or even women that I find unattractive wearing them. It is a difficult concept for me to understand that people find other people so utterly repulsive based upon their physical appearance that they are ready to vomit simply upon seeing them. I suspect that people expressing this sort of sentiment toward women that do not fit the society's general standard of beauty are actually attracted to the women in question and feel they need to put on a show of disgust to avert suspicion, because they are scared other people will find out and make fun of them.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, that's funny you actually believe that.
I don't discount that many people take great comfort in being cruel to other people because it gives them a sense of power, but I doubt people would actually change their breastfeeding in public stance simply because of a picture, the people that would did not really have a stance to begin with.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Yeah, make that a picture of a heinous obese woman & watch how many people get offended. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
The participants in the picture would not change the results.
LOL. There is so little boob actually showing with breastfeeding tops that people are actually focused on physical attractiveness of the woman and not the actual boob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I usually agree with you, but in this case, I think that if a person is offended by breast feeding, they're offended by it no matter the attractiveness of the woman, and if they aren't bothered by it, then the attractiveness of the woman isn't a issue, either.
I think it might be a slight issue. I'm offended by glimpses of exposed butt crack, but old, ugly, hairy butt crack more so than young firm butt crack. Some people seem to be more offended by what they perceive to be "entitlement" or "exhibitionism" than the actual act of feeding your infant naturally or even an exposed breast.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,075 times
Nothing wrong with breastfeeding. It shouldn't be an issue anywhere.

However, nothing wrong with laying a light cover over your breast and baby to hide it from people who might not want to watch it.

The "need" of some people to do things their way without thought or consideration for others bugs me. There is zero reason not to cover up a bit more to ensure that everyone around you is comfortable. It won't affect nursing or the baby in any way.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
But who was watching it? These people were crammed into a plane where you can't see much more than the seat back in front of you and the person beside you, which in this case was her husband. She was probably nursing her baby to sleep, so he wouldn't disturb others by crying. I did it many, many times as a young mother, and nobody was the wiser. Nursing shirts are very modest. The photo earlier in the thread is deliberately staged to show the opening clearly, but in normal use, you would not see any flesh at all. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason the flight attendant was aware of the situation was because he was performing a pre-flight passenger check, and the baby was not in a carrier. The attendant over-reacted, and the airline was right to apologize.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Neat thread.

1. I think the flight attendant was out of line. There probably wasn't anything the other passengers could see, but then by her own account a guy a couple of rows back knew what she was doing.

2. I still think women should cover up, and be ready for all sorts of contingencies. If it is a warm place, use a very light covering blanket.

3. I do not buy the BS that a baby can't enjoy the company of its mother while covered from view. The moms can usually leave a gap so they look into each other's eyes and/or the kid eventually closes his eyes anyway.

4. I do think its silly that some people believe the look of the woman doesn't make a difference and that stock photo of an attractive woman with small breasts that can be obscured by an infant is not representative of most mothers. Make her homely, 200lbs and give her a set of swollen double H cups and I guarantee you a lot more people would notice and make a fuss about it.

5. If you feel like you need to do something in a public fashion in a public place, you can't get mad that some guy decides to film you doing it - in fact, you should assume you are being filmed any time you enter a public place. Well, I guess you can get mad, but punching somebody over it is a pretty stupid thing to do with bad consequences.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,129 times
The flight attendant could of been more diplomatic, that is for sure. I've encountered my share of rude discourteous flight attendants sadly enough. Also, if the woman was sitting next to hubby and was shielded from the other passengers, I would have let things be. However....and I'm saying this as a woman....cover up if you are sitting in plain view of other folks. It is the courteous thing to do to insure the comfort of others.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Nothing wrong with breastfeeding. It shouldn't be an issue anywhere.

However, nothing wrong with laying a light cover over your breast and baby to hide it from people who might not want to watch it.

The "need" of some people to do things their way without thought or consideration for others bugs me. There is zero reason not to cover up a bit more to ensure that everyone around you is comfortable. It won't affect nursing or the baby in any way.
If a woman breastfeeding in public is making somebody uncomfortable, it is the problem of the uncomfortable person and not the woman breastfeeding in public, she should not need to alter anything.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:35 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If a woman breastfeeding in public is making somebody uncomfortable, it is the problem of the uncomfortable person and not the woman breastfeeding in public, she should not need to alter anything.
The same could be said for anyone uncomfortable with another person filming a person breast feeding in public
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events