Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 10:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The same could be said for anyone uncomfortable with another person filming a person breast feeding in public
Uh, as a private citizen I would have an issue with any individual I did not know pointing a camera at me regardless of the circumstances. I understand that there are security cameras all over the place, but an individual filming me without my permission? I am definitely not okay with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:42 AM

506 posts, read 426,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
The flight attendant could of been more diplomatic, that is for sure. I've encountered my share of rude discourteous flight attendants sadly enough. Also, if the woman was sitting next to hubby and was shielded from the other passengers, I would have let things be. However....and I'm saying this as a woman....cover up if you are sitting in plain view of other folks. It is the courteous thing to do to insure the comfort of others.
Total nonsense, a breastfeeding woman should not be made to feel as if she needs to hide simply because some morons are uncomfortable with the sight of it.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:43 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Let mothers swim across the ocean with their babies so child-haters can have a better trip, right?
No just the opposite. It's the lack of concern for the babies that some people are talking about. The child-haters would be the ones trying to make a point they can do anything they please at the risk of exposing their babies to the filthy conditions around them by not covering the babies up.

An airplane is one of the most germ invested environments there is. If anyone has to take a baby on on plane, they should keep the baby in another seat in a mesh covered baby carrier and feed him or her with a bottle with as little exposure to the atmosphere as possible.

Ever wonder why many babies and small children scream on planes? Their little ears can't take the pressure. But parents insist upon subjecting them to this torture to prove they can.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
This was an overreaction by the flight attendant in my view. Even if someone had complained about the public and exposed breastfeeding, and assuming the account reported is a factual description of what went down, the flight attendant could have gone about things more gracefully. But I seriously doubt that anyone (unless a young child was in eye-sight of the breastfeeding) would make a fuss about this happening.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If a woman breastfeeding in public is making somebody uncomfortable, it is the problem of the uncomfortable person and not the woman breastfeeding in public, she should not need to alter anything.

I agree with the first part. And I agree she doesn't NEED to alter anything, but why not?

I dislike the whole "I'll do my thing my way and don't care at all how you feel about it!" attitude that is so pervasive. Why not make a miniscule effort that affects you not at all so others feel better around you?

Of course the flight attendant was way out of line. And yes, no one should be offended or uncomfortable with a woman breast-feeding. But they are sometimes.

What is so all-fired wrong about being considerate for even the people you don't agree with?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Uh, as a private citizen I would have an issue with any individual I did not know pointing a camera at me regardless of the circumstances. I understand that there are security cameras all over the place, but an individual filming me without my permission? I am definitely not okay with that.
If you're in a public place you can be filmed.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I agree with the first part. And I agree she doesn't NEED to alter anything, but why not?

I dislike the whole "I'll do my thing my way and don't care at all how you feel about it!" attitude that is so pervasive. Why not make a miniscule effort that affects you not at all so others feel better around you?

Of course the flight attendant was way out of line. And yes, no one should be offended or uncomfortable with a woman breast-feeding. But they are sometimes.

What is so all-fired wrong about being considerate for even the people you don't agree with?
There is nothing inconsiderate about a woman sitting quietly breastfeeding her child, so the breastfeeding woman should make no concessions to alleviate the so-called discomfort of others.

I'm find it extremely uncomfortable that people are uncomfortable with a woman breastfeeding in public, so they need to make an effort to not make me uncomfortable.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If you're in a public place you can be filmed.
Where's the line though? There obviously is a line. Lots of women wear skirts/dresses in public. Am I free to film them in any way I please?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Where's the line though? There obviously is a line. Lots of women wear skirts/dresses in public. Am I free to film them in any way I please?
According to some recent rulings it seems that in some states you could feel free to film up a woman's skirt because it was determined that there is no expectation of privacy as described in whatever law was being challenged, but I'd say in most places in the USA you cannot film up a woman's skirt because there is an expectation of privacy, just walking around in public you have no such expectation, therefore you can be filmed.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM

387 posts, read 588,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I didn't patronize you --I don't think that word means what you think it means-- I outright insulted your lack of intelligence. And I do agree, you should chew on rusty thumb tacks.
lack of intelligence? lol, thats classic coming from a foul creature who doesnt know what patronize means. Buzz off, bee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events