Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times

Advertisements

The Houston-Vancouver flight (UAL 438) utilizes an Airbus A320, which is a single-aisle aircraft. Unless they were flying first class, the family occupied a row of three seats. When traveling with a baby, a parent without exception must place the infant carrier in the window seat. Mom would have taken the middle seat to facilitate breast-feeding, while Dad would have taken the aisle seat. The aircraft was beginning its taxi out to the runway, so everyone in the plane other than the flight attendants was seated and either listening to the safety presentation or possibly reading, since electronics must be stowed at that point. Nobody in the plane would have had the foggiest idea what was going on other than the flight attendants who were performing their pre-flight passenger check. The flight attendant who confronted the couple over-reacted and drew unnecessary attention to the mother. He was completely in the wrong, which is why UAL later called and apologized to the family.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-12-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It was thrown at the dad. Why should the FA be throwing a blanket at someone anyway? Yes, it's assault. Those things are filthy, and I don't want them touching me.

Notice, I'm not talking about filing legal charges. I'm talking about a complaint to their employer. A FA throwing ANYTHING at a passenger (other than perhaps a life vest in an emergency situation!) would be assault.

I fly often and I've never been given a blanket in any manner that wasn't in a sealed bag. Your aversion to germs is irrelevant to the topic or conversation. To call it assault though is just comical, I've had FA toss me peanuts, a beer etc

Per Webster

Assault : noun

Law: the crime of trying or threatening to hurt someone physically

: a violent physical attack
: a military attack

1. A violent physical or verbal attack

Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Houston-Vancouver flight (UAL 438) utilizes an Airbus A320, which is a single-aisle aircraft. Unless they were flying first class, the family occupied a row of three seats. When traveling with a baby, a parent without exception must place the infant carrier in the window seat. Mom would have taken the middle seat to facilitate breast-feeding, while Dad would taken the aisle seat. The aircraft was beginning its taxi out to the runway, so everyone in the plane other than the flight attendants would have been seated and either listening to the safety presentation or possibly reading, since electronics must be stowed. Nobody in the plane would have had the foggiest idea what was going on other than the flight attendants who were performing their pre-flight passenger check. The flight attendant over-reacted and drew unnecessary attention to the mother. He was completely in the wrong, which is why UAL later called and apologized to the family.

United's stated policy does not match what you are saying

Quote:
Acceptance of accompanied children under two years

Children under the age of two traveling within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands with a parent or with an adult 18 years or older can travel on the adult's lap free of charge. If there are two or more children under the age of two traveling with the same adult, only one of the children may travel as a lap child. Any additional children are required to have tickets for their own seats. Children under the age of two traveling internationally (including children traveling to Canada and Mexico) without a seat are required to have a purchased ticket and are subject to infant fares and taxes. When making your reservation, you should indicate you are traveling with an infant, regardless of your destination.

The child doesn't have to have a seat under two. If the flight is sold out or they can't fit you 3 wide you'd still have to pay for a seat even if you don't or can't use it

Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
No wonder everyone looks down on America these days.
Yeah, that is the reason.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Very perverted post. If he did that while my wife were breast feeding my kid I'd smash his face and then the camera. Creep!
And you'd go to jail with a very serious felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Women and nursing babies are not obligated to cover themselves for other people's comfort. The baby is feeding. How would you like it if you had to drink your latte in the dark beneath a blanket? You wouldn't like it one bit. Babies are human, too. They should be able to drink uncovered -- just like you.

For those who say they don't like the sight of nipples, you can't see the nipple if the baby is nursing since the baby's mouth covers the nipple. And if you see the brief moment when the baby latches/unlatches and happen to catch a flash of nipple, well, then: Why were you looking at the woman's boobs in the first place? If you don't like what you see, look somewhere else.

It's hilarious how our culture can't stand the sight of a baby nursing, i.e. utilizing a breast the way Nature intended, but loves to catch "nipslips" of celebrities. We like women's boobs to be sexualized, but god forbid they're actually used to openly nourish the product of actual sex. I've got news for you, folks: Humans are mammals, and that's what mammals do.
You miss the whole point of the discussion.

Your analogies and solutions are way off base. The "look someplace else" standard would negate all laws against exhibitionism.

The whole tenor of your post borders on hysteria. You look at every thing in the extreme and draw conclusions that don't follow the logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Women don't feed their babies in public for attention
Some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It was thrown at the dad. Why should the FA be throwing a blanket at someone anyway? Yes, it's assault. Those things are filthy, and I don't want them touching me.

Notice, I'm not talking about filing legal charges. I'm talking about a complaint to their employer. A FA throwing ANYTHING at a passenger (other than perhaps a life vest in an emergency situation!) would be assault.
Ask for a refund from your law school.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
You are correct that children under two may fly on laps, but they typically don't on flights of that distance. The family was returning from the Carribbean, and five hours for just one leg is a REALLY long time to hold a child in cramped quarters. Plus, because they were traveling internationally, they would have paid for the child to have a seat as noted in the policy you cited. Now, does it make sense that a couple who paid for an additional seat not to take advantage of it? Of course not. The infant carrier would have been placed by the window in accordance with FAA regulations. Logically, a breastfeeding mother sits in the middle seat, and Dad takes the aisle. Given that the flight attendant is reported to have handed/thrown the blanket at the father, this placement makes sense. My point remains. Nobody would have had any idea that this mother was nursing had the flight attendant (and father) not made a fuss.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-12-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
As a private citizen you lose your right to privacy when you are in public. It doesn't really matter if you would have issue with it, just as it wouldn't matter if you had issue with a women breast feeding.
I'm not familiar with the legalities but most people do not like to be photographed or filmed by strangers regardless of the situation. This is especially for children. I have heard concerns from parents about strangers unintentionally or innocently getting their children in a video or photo.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Women and nursing babies are not obligated to cover themselves for other people's comfort. The baby is feeding. How would you like it if you had to drink your latte in the dark beneath a blanket? You wouldn't like it one bit. Babies are human, too. They should be able to drink uncovered -- just like you.

For those who say they don't like the sight of nipples, you can't see the nipple if the baby is nursing since the baby's mouth covers the nipple. And if you see the brief moment when the baby latches/unlatches and happen to catch a flash of nipple, well, then: Why were you looking at the woman's boobs in the first place? If you don't like what you see, look somewhere else.

It's hilarious how our culture can't stand the sight of a baby nursing, i.e. utilizing a breast the way Nature intended, but loves to catch "nipslips" of celebrities. We like women's boobs to be sexualized, but god forbid they're actually used to openly nourish the product of actual sex. I've got news for you, folks: Humans are mammals, and that's what mammals do.
I disagree. As a mother that nursed 4 sons....You can use discretion....A light receiving blanket in a very public place is just common sense.

One might argue that a plane, while considered public transportation, is really a privately owned business. Their plane, their rules

I do think that this flight attendant was out of line in the way he handled the situation...But, yelling down the isle after him was ridiculous too.

Too many people have too many different agendas. Falling on your sword at any provocation is ludicrous....

Old 03-12-2015, 12:16 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I fly often and I've never been given a blanket in any manner that wasn't in a sealed bag. Your aversion to germs is irrelevant to the topic or conversation. To call it assault though is just comical, I've had FA toss me peanuts, a beer etc
When a FA tossed you peanuts, you were probably expecting the toss and were prepared to receive them. That's different than THROWING them at you without you indicating that you wanted them.

I fly often too. They aren't always sealed. They're supposed to be, but they're also not supposed to be thrown. It happens.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Ask for a refund from your law school.
If I walked up to my boss and threw something at her (regardless of what it is) she'd have me written up for assault. Whether it's the "legal" definition or not, it would wind up in my file. Feel free to pick another word if you like. It's not something any employer wants their employee doing to a customer.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I disagree. As a mother that nursed 4 sons....You can use discretion....A light receiving blanket in a very public place is just common sense.

One might argue that a plane, while considered public transportation, is really privately owned business. Their plane, their rules

I do think that this flight attendant was out of line in the way he handled the situation...But, yelling down the isle after him was ridiculous too.

Too many people have too many different agendas. Falling on your sword at any provocation is ludicrous....
You don't think that nursing tank top is discrete? One would have to look awfully hard to get a peek of that nip nip. lord knows you can see more than that at Wal Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events