Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Please, feel free to have YOUR meal delivered to a bathroom stall and consume it there. Bon Appetit!
Sigh. Ok, never mind the bathroom stall, that was a stretch I admit. However, it's not too much to ask to please do it in a private space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When someone asks a nursing mother to "cover up" what they are really saying is that what she is doing(feeding her child from her breast, the way that nature intended) is wrong, dirty, shameful, etc. It is offensive to a woman who is just trying to feed her child in a healthy and normal way. People should think before the tell a stranger to "cover it up".
If this argument is valid, then why do we not have the right to do other natural things in the public eye? Intercourse is not illegal, except in public. Urination is generally only illegal in public. Genitalia is perfectly natural, why can we not put them on public display at our discretion?

There are numerous things that are perfectly normal and natural that we do not put on display for a myriad of reasons. Unless you are proposing that any and all of these things can be justified simply because it is a natural act or function of the human animal, then I cannot accept that argument as a sole justification for this perfectly natural, but somehow offense to some, activity.

I can see both sides of this discussion having valid points and the only unreasonable argument is that either side has an absolute right to their preference.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM

506 posts, read 426,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep, go to the bathroom if you need to do that. I go to a restaurant to eat a meal, not to see someone else sitting next to me taking out their boob. I actually asked my female friends who have kids about this. All of them said that they did not breastfeed their kids in public. They understood it's a private matter & that others would not want to be a witness to it. They either went to a bathroom or pumped beforehand into a bottle. See? It's really not that difficult to have manners.
The mother went to the restaurant to eat as well. Your female friends can make whatever choices they want, but other people should not be forced to follow these same choices. I consider a mother not feeding her hungry child to be bad manners.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
The mother went to the restaurant to eat as well. Your female friends can make whatever choices they want, but other people should not be forced to follow these same choices. I consider a mother not feeding her hungry child to be bad manners.
Seriously, who said anything about not feeding their kid?

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
If this argument is valid, then why do we not have the right to do other natural things in the public eye? Intercourse is not illegal, except in public. Urination is generally only illegal in public. Genitalia is perfectly natural, why can we not put them on public display at our discretion?

There are numerous things that are perfectly normal and natural that we do not put on display for a myriad of reasons. Unless you are proposing that any and all of these things can be justified simply because it is a natural act or function of the human animal, then I cannot accept that argument as a sole justification for this perfectly natural, but somehow offense to some, activity.

I can see both sides of this discussion having valid points and the only unreasonable argument is that either side has an absolute right to their preference.

Babies need to eat. They eat frequently which means mom has no choice to feed them frequently. Sometimes they eat for five minutes, other times they may eat for 20 minutes. People do not need to have sex frequently enough to warrant making an allowance for them to do it in public. Urinating takes a minute or two and considering we have public restrooms pretty much everywhere in public, there's no need to do it out in the open. The mother who is breastfeeding is not putting herself on display. She's just feeding her baby.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Why do you like to drive Fords? Would you please turn down the music while on the bus? Would you mind if I sat at this table? Do you have any Grey Poupon? Imagine all the people who just got offended. We need to silence those awful people who ask questions, how dare they?
Those questions are very different and less personal then asking someone to quit feeding their baby in front of you.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Those questions are very different and less personal then asking someone to quit feeding their baby in front of you.
No, no one said that. Now you guys are just making words up to try to fit your argument.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Sigh. Ok, never mind the bathroom stall, that was a stretch I admit. However, it's not too much to ask to please do it in a private space.
So mom should just stay home then. Babies may feed for a half an hour at a time. Should mom spend a half hour in the bathroom or the car while the rest of the family eats dinner at the table? Parenting can be very isolating. It's no wonder so many women choose to not breastfeed at all.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
No, no one said that. Now you guys are just making words up to try to fit your argument.
Asking someone to cover up is asking them to shield your view of the feeding. It is asking them to quit feeding in front of you.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Asking someone to cover up is asking them to shield your view of the feeding. It is asking them to quit feeding in front of you.
Maybe in your head it is but in reality, no it's not. Asking someone to cover up or please find a private spot is in no way, no how telling them to not feed their kid. Period. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events