Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 06:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am not trolling and I'm offended by the accusation. I am trying to understand what it is you are objecting to. I don't understand why you would insist that a mother use a blanket when she is already nursing discreetly. You say that I am being presumptuous to assume that they are asking because the sight of it makes them uncomfortable. I can think of no other reason for them to ask that question and you can't provide one. I think that it's much more logical and polite to just look away rather then ask a stranger to "cover it up". You of course are free to ask that question anyway. No one is stopping you. Just be prepared for the reaction that you will get when you ask. I don't think it will be a positive experience.
Read you own post above. YOU can't think of a reason. See? It always comes back to what you think. Who gave you the right to judge what others think or feel and then decide that if they ask a question, they are wrong. Were you elected to some position to do that? Tell me, does the question harm you if you aren't forced to do anything in response other than say no? If so, explain the harm. If you so object the people asking a question, then fine, I take offense to your questions, are you now forced not to ask them? Apply what you demand of others and apply the same to yourself. But that is hard isn't it, because it is so much easier to say do as I say and not as I do, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
So, we have to be tolerant of your intolerance? Okay.
Where is the intolerance on my part. Be specific and if you can point to it, then I will no longer post on this thread. If in context of all my posts on this thread, you can't point to that, you stop posting? Deal?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
It isn't your right to judge why anyone would be offended. I can't understand why some people don't like motorcycles. So what? Why do you have to understand it. Why can't you simply accept that somewhere, someone might be bothered by what someone else does and go with that? Are you being harmed? Does tolerance work only in one direction?

What is your problem? Who's judging anything? I said I don't understand. Is that judging? If you don't like something move on. I don't care what bothers ignorant people. A mother feeding a child is a natural thing, leave them the hell alone and mind your own business.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What is your problem? Who's judging anything? I said I don't understand. Is that judging? If you don't like something move on. I don't care what bothers ignorant people. A mother feeding a child is a natural thing, leave them the hell alone and mind your own business.
Have you not read the thread? That much is obvious. Ignorance is not reading the thread, jumping in late and then making accusations that are unfounded. You dont' know what you're talking about, that is a fact. According to your standard, anyone who doesn't like something has no right to question or say anything about it. That is the logic of your statements.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM

Has anyone who thinks that a person should not be able to ask a breastfeeding mother to cover never complained about anything or asked someone to do or not do something?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
If it doesn't affect me then no. I limit my requests/complaints to those offenses which have an actual impact on me. Not simply things I have a vague distaste for.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 PM

Because a selected group can't seem to get it: I maintain and have said I do not have a problem with women breastfeeding their babies in public. I do however, believe anyone has the right to ask, not demand, that the woman cover. Those are facts. Now, who wants to say someone should not have the ability to ask? Consider that the people would be in the USA and not Russia or some other place where people might be afraid to say something.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If it doesn't affect me then no. I limit my requests/complaints to those offenses which have an actual impact on me. Not simply things I have a vague distaste for.
Okay, good reply, thanks. Now, who gets to decide if something affects you and to what degree that affect is before you say something, not demand or force but simply speak. Is it someone else or is it you?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
Has anyone who thinks that a person should not be able to ask a breastfeeding mother to cover never complained about anything or asked someone to do or not do something?
Actually, no. When someone's toddler has disrupted my dining experience I have felt, but never acted on, the need to explain that they need to take their child home and teach them manners. When two people have gone beyond the limits of public displays of affection I have never once asked them to go get a room. And when some random woman's breasts have bounced and jiggled their way practically out of her dress I have never asked her to cover them up. All of the above situations have been opportunities to tell people what I think but it would be inappropriate.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
Because a selected group can't seem to get it: I maintain and have said I do not have a problem with women breastfeeding their babies in public. I do however, believe anyone has the right to ask, not demand, that the woman cover. Those are facts. Now, who wants to say someone should not have the ability to ask? Consider that the people would be in the USA and not Russia or some other place where people might be afraid to say something.
How about we pose a hypothetical situation. If a same sex couple were on the airline and you felt the need to ask them to not have any displays of affection because some might be offended; would that work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events