Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Very perverted post. If he did that while my wife were breast feeding my kid I'd smash his face and then the camera. Creep!
Why it's just a boob after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 04:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Tell me why a person would ask a mother to cover up.
Because they feel the need and it is up them to decide if that need warrants a question. It is called being free to be a human being so long as that question does not force anyone to do anything, not even answer. Sorry, but I now consider your posts trolling. You seem to have no compunction about asking questions do you? Yet you seem to have a problem with anyone else asking one. That is trolling.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Because they feel the need and it is up them to decide if that need warrants a question. It is called being free to be a human being so long as that question does not force anyone to do anything, not even answer. Sorry, but I now consider your posts trolling. You seem to have no compunction about asking questions do you? Yet you seem to have a problem with anyone else asking one. That is trolling.
"Because they feel the need" - that's your answer to the question of why you would ever ask a woman to cover in the first place? That's a not much of an explanation. Why would one "feel the need"?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
I am not trolling and I'm offended by the accusation. I am trying to understand what it is you are objecting to. I don't understand why you would insist that a mother use a blanket when she is already nursing discreetly. You say that I am being presumptuous to assume that they are asking because the sight of it makes them uncomfortable. I can think of no other reason for them to ask that question and you can't provide one. I think that it's much more logical and polite to just look away rather then ask a stranger to "cover it up". You of course are free to ask that question anyway. No one is stopping you. Just be prepared for the reaction that you will get when you ask. I don't think it will be a positive experience.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
It's virtually impossible to see any breast when a woman is breastfeeding as the infant's head obscures it. If you are seeing any breast it's because you are trying to, so quit gawking and get a hobby you gnarly pervs.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
I personally do not understand why a person would be offended by a mother nursing a child. It is the most natural thing in the world, but some people get offended over anything. My suggestion to the ones that are offended... stick your nose in another direction.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I personally do not understand why a person would be offended by a mother nursing a child. It is the most natural thing in the world, but some people get offended over anything. My suggestion to the ones that are offended... stick your nose in another direction.
It isn't your right to judge why anyone would be offended. I can't understand why some people don't like motorcycles. So what? Why do you have to understand it. Why can't you simply accept that somewhere, someone might be bothered by what someone else does and go with that? Are you being harmed? Does tolerance work only in one direction?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
I am not bothered by breastfeeding. I am not bothered by partial nudity. I am not uncomfortable viewing breasts, young and lactating or otherwise.

I do not know why people would be particularly bothered by a breastfeeding woman, but I do feel uncomfortable when confronted by an uncovered woman breastfeeding. Here is why. Women tend to feel their privacy is invaded when a man observes their breasts, even when that display is intentional on the woman's part. I feel uncomfortable when I think I may be encroaching on that privacy, even unintentionally. I cannot determine if the breastfeeding display is an intentional attention grab, an indifferent display or an unavoidable undesired exposure. So then, should I reward the exhibitionist by staring unabashedly, casually note the event and treat it as part of the visual background, or avoid looking in the woman's direction to aid in preserving her privacy? That lack of knowledge creates a mental conflict in how to behave and generates discomfort.

Breast feeding women can reduce that discomfort by covering when breastfeeding in public. That is polite behavior. The alternate to avoid that uncomfortable feeling is to assume that the woman involved is an exhibitionist and decide to reward the behavior with leering or to intentionally disappoint her by disregarding the display. Still some discomfort for those who try to satisfy expectations of others, but not as much as for those who think the woman is not an exhibitionist.

I dont buy the germ arguments. I dont understand the FA's specific actions in this scenario. I do understand the request to cover up to preserve the feelings of others, regardless of why they may feel uncomfortable.

I think personal comfort is a right everyone has. If you know you are in a situation that your comfort preferences impinge upon someone else's, then you have the obligation to mitigate that effect. I can mitigate your discomfort in being unavoidably exposed by not stareing, you can mitigate my discomfort by covering to the best of your ability. In this case, an airline blanket was an option and should have been employed unless it was obvious that the blanket was used or dirty. If it was still in a sealed bag, then that argument is invalid and the blanket is a reasonable mitigation tactic.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
It isn't your right to judge why anyone would be offended. I can't understand why some people don't like motorcycles. So what? Why do you have to understand it. Why can't you simply accept that somewhere, someone might be bothered by what someone else does and go with that? Are you being harmed? Does tolerance work only in one direction?
If your hypothetical person who doesn't like motorcylcles expresses that dislike to the rider they will basically give them the same response as the above posts. Who cares?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
So, we have to be tolerant of your intolerance? Okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events