Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 05:18 PM

718 posts, read 615,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I already said Im not against breastfeeding, but that doesnt mean only the Moms have a say on how it can be done while in the company of the general public.

If half a restaurant is upset over having to see it, then that business has to confront that mother about it.
Its one thing to practice any right you have - including all women being able to go topless in NYC. It doesnt mean those same women can expect all businesses to happily accomodate them

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU. Society will never be ALL ABOUT JUST YOU. Sorry, if you didnt already know that. *shrugs*
Lol it's ridiculous to me that you're arguing what women can or cannot do with their child and their breasts, but somehow the women make it "all about them". Don't you understand that YOU people are what make such a spectacle of public breastfeeding? You have absolutely no knowledge of breastfeeding if you think women can just carry around a bottle. Women get sore. It's actually very painful to not pump/breastfeed for long periods of time. So even if you brought a bottle to feed your child, there are still women who will need to breastfeed because it is painful. Or would you prefer her pumping her milk in public???

It's not even like you see boobs hanging around. You see some skin.

You need to mature up a little bit and realize that you can exercise some self-control and look away if it bothers you so much.

Why are americans so uncomfortable with their body parts??? I'll never understand what you people find so disrespectful about breasts?

Last edited by Ashleyga; 03-14-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Just hope you never come across one of the women who think it's appropriate to breastfeed a 7 year old.
LOL! I do hope I dont.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:54 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,450,813 times
These stories are hilarious. What we really need is a seating chart and video to determine whether it was being discretely performed.

Breast feeding is natural. Every woman I've ever observed breastfeeding in public does so discretely. Perhaps this was the rare instance of an 'exhibitionist' breast feeder, but I highly doubt it.

Too all those who find it 'offensive', if you weren't sitting next to an exhibitionist waving it around and showing off the baby's suckling talents to the rest of passengers, "Look at junior doesn't he go at it" - why do you care? You're likely the same who proclaim to anyone who complains about mass media content to simply 'change the channel/ turn it off / don't look' etc... Well DON'T LOOK!

This is more of an issue in USA because so many have been conditioned by mass media to think of female breast(s) only as a sex object, rather than it's primary purpose and an erogenous zone. I'm guessing the vast majority of males would be fine with the woman in question touching them for their 'viewing pleasure' but the baby takes away their fantasy.

The article didn't say whether a fellow passenger complained, so, I surmise the Flight Attendant - "Keith" -(fulfilling the stereotype of current day male flight attendants) was repulsed by the sight of some female anatomy being suckled [oh, that gooey thing], thus the non civil flippant response to the situation. I just had a funny thought of exhibitionist breast feeders going around like gay activists shouting 'we're ***** we're hear get used to it" doing a chant, "See our nipples be suckled, look and see, babies feed!"

A breast is so scarring yet we show commercials that reinforce them as 'objects' - some people (mostly here in the USA) are seriously messed up in the head.

I had this vision of that funny audio clip from The Family Feud game show with the host after the opening challenge between family contestants saying, "Show me breast!" that radio DJs used to use years ago.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
What is the big deal about covering if someone asks? Is it because of some medical or health reason no one else knows about or is it just because you don't want to?

Doesn't really matter what it is, breast feeding, talking out loud on the phone, sucking soda up through a nearly empty glass, if someone asks for a reasonable accommodation on your part, just what is the problem?

After reading most of the posts on this thread here is what it comes down to, it bothers some people that anyone would even ask them to cover let alone insist. If you are so thin skinned that the mere question bothers you that much, stay at home with your baby and save everyone else some grief.

You'd think by the animosity that someone was asking to get their teet in the middle of things to help feed the baby.

When it comes to an air flight, aren't you the one getting into plane stuffed with people like a sardine can? So give it a break and meet people half way, you're not the only one on the flight.

Personally, I think people who take new borns and still breast feeding babies on a plane are about as ignorant of sanitary concerns as cows stepping in their own manure. but that is another story. Same applies to the breast feeders going to the movies. Are ya spraying your baby with lysol afterwards?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
this "
United Airlines

They respect the rights of a nursing mother. The only time a flight attendant should ask a passenger to stop nursing is when the activity presents a safety hazard to the mother, child or other passengers. If they receive a complaint from other passengers about a mother that is nursing, they will attempt to make everyone comfortable by offering the other a blanket for her privacy or moving the offended passenger(s) to another seat, if possible. If the situation cannot be resolved in a manner that makes everyone comfortable, then the other passengers will simply have to live with their discomfort."

From another post.

I don't recall anyone telling the mother to stop doing anything. It looks like this was not about covering up but about rude behavior.

Kinda shuts that whole thing down doesn't it? The policy is to ask the mother to cover unless that i an unworkable situation.

What we have here are a bunch of people saying that isn't right either. Then don't fly, stay home or figure out another way to get there.

Slap the guy for saying it like a jerk but what does that have to do with covering? Absolutely nothing.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
Would a woman have a problem if I sat there and watched her breastfeed in public? If not, have at it. If she would not like that, maybe that's an indication she should not be doing it.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:43 PM

294 posts, read 372,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Would a woman have a problem if I sat there and watched her breastfeed in public? If not, have at it. If she would not like that, maybe that's an indication she should not be doing it.
That seems like a reasonable standard.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
If you're just going to sit there and STARE like some kind of creeper, then yeah, I'd probably be less than comfortable. You could be contemplating taking me as a hostage, or plotting a kidnapping, or maybe you have some kind of breast feeding fetish. Who knows? Why are you staring, creeper guy?

If you happen to sit next to me while I'm nursing a child and you look me in the eyes and make random polite chit chat, like a normal person, fine.

If you were eating your McDonald's out of a bag, and I sat there and ogled you while doing so, how would you feel?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The flight attendant was rude about it, but let's face it -- the breast is an intimate part of the anatomy that not everyone wants to see. I don't think a little bit of discretion in public is out of the question.
I agree. Very well said. Discretion is the key here.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times
"Discretion" is rather subjective term. I am a low key, private person, but I breast fed all three of my children as infants and toddlers on planes. I never once used any kind of cover, but I certainly wasn't flashing my breasts in anybody's face either. To me, using a cover draws more attention to the act of nursing than simply lifting a shirt while simultaneously moving the child to the nipple. Very little, if any, skin is exposed as the shirt covers the top half of the breast, and the child covers the rest. I might use a blanket to cover the child's body, but never their head.

I think some people are imaging a much bigger show than what really happens, when a typical woman nurses a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events