Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Depending on one's history, such a thing may be literally impossible.
A pointless generalization.

That wasn't the case here. If he can afford to buy a Mercedes-Benz, then he can afford to buy his kids some food.

I'm surprised that anyone would make excuses for someone who didn't take care of their children.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:04 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That wasn't the case here. If he can afford to buy a Mercedes-Benz, then he can afford to buy his kids some food.
Based on the pictures I've seen, it was late 80's or early 90's car. Something that costs probably $3,000 or less. While you could argue that he should have used that money to buy his kids food, it's also true that absent a car from some kind, not having a car means he'll been even LESS able to provide for his kids on an ongoing basis.

I could be wrong. It might be an newer, more expensive model. But based on what his purported income his (from earlier in this thread), he totally lacked the ability to pay what he "owed".

Old 04-12-2015, 03:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,090,730 times
Scott is a victim
His behavior with the ex officer will be open to judicial review
His life beyond the encounter really isn't.... we want to know the why... in this case we may learn the ex-officers... why... Scott can never tell us..

We have perfect 20/20 after vision... did Scott run and struggle because he didn't take care of his life...maybe... we don't know because he is dead because of an unjustifiable shooting outside any policy... law... or common sense...

Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 AM

622 posts, read 527,722 times
Quote:
IMO it depends on whether he can and just isn't, or literally can't. I've been medically unemployed since the beginning of the year. As I was self-employed, I had no unemployment or disability to fall back on, and because I was a one man shop my business is ruined. I got cleared a few days ago to go back to work, but I have quite literally not made a dime this year. I'm lucky I don't have any child support obligations, but if I did, I would have been totally, and literally, unable to meet them since the start of 2015.

I'll get a job soon enough, I have a strong resume. But I haven't yet.

Now, to the best of my knowledge we don't know what his financial situation was, if so I haven't seen it, so I am NOT implying he was in the same situation as me. Only that child support "obligations" might be literally financially impossible for some people.

Should he have run? No. Should the cop have shot him in the back? HELL no. But to assume he's a douchebag for being behind in child support is to assume facts not in evidence.
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you that there's absolutely no justification for shooting an unarmed man in the back, the fact remains that he could have used the money he paid to buy the Mercedes to pay off at least some of the child support he owed.

Also, although I'm not familiar with US law, I would have thought the courts could have seized his assets if he continually defaulted on those obligations.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:16 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you that there's absolutely no justification for shooting an unarmed man in the back, the fact remains that he could have used the money he paid to buy the Mercedes to pay off at least some of the child support he owed.

Also, although I'm not familiar with US law, I would have thought the courts could have seized his assets if he continually defaulted on those obligations.
They arrest you if your behind on payments. They arrested a guy who works in our building for being a little over a hundred dollars behind. They did this while he was at his new job working.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 939,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
I never understand why a certain segment loves to get into it with cops instead of just cooperating and not escalating the situation.
Amadou Diallo cooperated
Tamir Rice was not given time to cooperate
Eric Garner was under police control
Oscar Grant was under police control
Trayvon Martin was pursued by an armed civilian

Just a few of many examples. All of these people were in "a certain segment". Yet they showed no love for getting into it with cops.

Maybe you're trying to understand something that doesn't exist?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,714 times
We simply cannot allow this to continue.[/quote]

Correct, we can't allow disobedience to continue. Failing to pay child support while the deadbeat
drives a Mercedes is Shameless.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
How a case of police brutality and murder turned into examining the victims child support payment history is laughable.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Now, to the best of my knowledge we don't know what his financial situation was, if so I haven't seen it, so I am NOT implying he was in the same situation as me. Only that child support "obligations" might be literally financially impossible for some people.
I happen to agree with you. It is easy for a judge to mete out orders. The judge isn't the one writing the check. And the judge knows that often the orders are unaffordable since they're based on the potentially unlimited needs of the recipient, not the means of the parent.

Quote:
Should he have run? No. Should the cop have shot him in the back? HELL no. But to assume he's a douchebag for being behind in child support is to assume facts not in evidence.
The problem is that current political correctness gives these people a view that they can defy societal norms. Doesn't end real well when the bullets fly.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Behind in child support? LOL He hasn't paid anything in 3 years.

He has not paid any child support since 2012. He has 4 children. This despite having a job and in the process of buying a Mercedes-Benz. The court issued a bench warrant for his arrest. He ran because he didn't want to be held accountable for not providing for his kids.

Not much good can be said about a man who doesn't support his children both financially and as a father.
Well he certainly won't be paying now. The silver lining (for the kids) is the city will be to the tune of millions...

Hey, just for fun let's toss a conspiracy theory into this since there's been no trial and we're waiting for all the information to come out? Maybe the mom paid the cop to take out her husband???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events