Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The question is, were there any people who had no viable opportunity to volunteer or access to vocational training. If someone simply wants to receive benefits and not do anything in return then that is one thing, but if people did not have an opportunity to do so, then that is something that the state needs to assess and improve upon.
Every town everywhere lets you volunteer in the library or parks dept or community center.
Especially if it's part of a welfare retraining program...those people actually get priority.

And if you go search..none of them complained to the press that they couldn't find at least volunteer opportunities in their towns.

and FYI..the Federal Waiver ends in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:27 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Thing is, those people have moved on to nearby states to take advantage of those taxpayers.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
50 years of straight handouts haven't worked.
So let's train them, let's give them jobs while they are on welfare.

How is that war on the poor when job training is mandated so they can better themselves and they run from it ?

Would you rather the free handouts with nothing in return and just "hope" they better themselves because history shows that has not happened.

And as far as blaming the GOP for this you should take a look at what Congress has passed and Obama has signed.
Last I heard..Obama is a Democrat.
There aren't enough jobs for the population of America, so welfare is essential to make sure everyone can eat. I don't think it's fair for a country with so much wealth to just allow people to basically starve.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There aren't enough jobs for the population of America, so welfare is essential to make sure everyone can eat. I don't think it's fair for a country with so much wealth to just allow people to basically starve.
This was a temporary extension to SNAP for able bodied single adults.
This was put in place during the "great recession" which ended 6 years ago.

10,000 single, able bodied adults with no children dropped off the rolls rather than even VOLUNTEER to be busy 24 hours a month.

This temporary extension ends next year.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Every town everywhere lets you volunteer in the library or parks dept or community center.
Especially if it's part of a welfare retraining program...those people actually get priority.

And if you go search..none of them complained to the press that they couldn't find at least volunteer opportunities in their towns.

and FYI..the Federal Waiver ends in 2016.

Once again, we really don't know this for a fact or what the specific requirements of the program were. From what I've read, it hasn't been managed very efficiently, in one case I saw, one woman almost lost her benefits despite the fact that she was attending school and doing the required vocational training.

Quote:
Helen Hanson got a letter from the state in January saying she was about to lose her food stamp benefits, she said, even though she should be exempt because she's in a work-skills program.
The 49-year-old, who's studying at Husson University to become a paralegal while working part-time at a grocery store, was eventually able to save her benefits with the help of an advocacy group. But the process she was forced to go through was infuriating and the fear that she might lose that support system was nerve-wracking, she said.

"We're not criminals," Hanson said. "I'm trying to benefit myself so I can get off food supplement. I'm tired of being poor."

APNewsBreak: 9,000 Mainers lose food stamps under new rules | Gazettenet.com

What I'm wondering is exactly how many were willing or even went through the process and were still denied. Having people do volunteer work or vocational training is fine as long as everyone has the same access to the various programs.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Once again, we really don't know this for a fact or what the specific requirements of the program were. From what I've read, it hasn't been managed very efficiently, in one case I saw, one woman almost lost her benefits despite the fact that she was attending school and doing the required vocational training.

APNewsBreak: 9,000 Mainers lose food stamps under new rules | Gazettenet.com

What I'm wondering is exactly how many were willing or even went through the process and were still denied. Having people do volunteer work or vocational training is fine as long as everyone has the same access to the various programs.
Doesn't surprise me in the least that people cannot just fix mistakes anymore without having to hire a lawyer or get an advocate.

That is the bureaucracy of today's government at all levels.

People are hiring lawyers just to fight their next year's property tax notices these days.

Governments have turned into horrible jumbles of massive red tape full of "not my job" employees who could care less about actually helping you.

I hate dealing with the government on any level because it's a huge nightmare.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Doesn't surprise me in the least that people cannot just fix mistakes anymore without having to hire a lawyer or get an advocate.

That is the bureaucracy of today's government at all levels.

People are hiring lawyers just to fight their next year's property tax notices these days.

Governments have turned into horrible jumbles of massive red tape full of "not my job" employees who could care less about actually helping you.

I hate dealing with the government on any level because it's a huge nightmare.

And it really shouldn't be that way. Dealing with the government shouldn't be so complex that it entails legal representation, its completely bonkers.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
This was a temporary extension to SNAP for able bodied single adults.
This was put in place during the "great recession" which ended 6 years ago.

10,000 single, able bodied adults with no children dropped off the rolls rather than even VOLUNTEER to be busy 24 hours a month.

This temporary extension ends next year.
If you think the recession actually ended six years ago, you obviously are living in a much different reality than most people.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:10 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
...Why do you think so many people applauded this program?....
Why wouldn't they?

Every $ paid out by welfare is a $ earned by someone else who does work including the working poor. 24/hours/month is nothing. Tell that to someone working double shift to put food on their family's table because they are doing the right thing.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:19 PM

465 posts, read 613,638 times
Americans don't hate poor people. We are a charitable nation. In fact we are tied with Myanmar as the most charitable nation. I hate generalizations like that. What many American's hate are people who abuse the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events