Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times

Advertisements

This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits*
Quote:
Maine finally took a bold step forward in welfare reform and it’s paying huge dividends.

Last year Maine passed a measure that would require recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, otherwise known as SNAP, to complete a certain number of work, volunteer, or job-training hours before being eligible for assistance.

Main Governor Paul LaPage passed the measure last year and the resulting drop in food-stamp enrollees has been dramatic.
Very interesting. I think they may be on to something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:16 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,619 times
Not a bad idea for able bodied applicants

Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
About time. Welfare should be a supplement to your income, not a pension plan.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Not a bad idea for able bodied applicants

This. I see absolutely nothing wrong with requiring people to pitch in a bit, provide volunteer assistance....etc.

It doesn't have to be anything extensive or anything that would interfere with someone's normal life or finding a job but if you are not disabled and were required to work 5-10 hours a week on a volunteer basis to get your benefits, would that be so terrible.......

Quote:
Sorensen said recipients only need to volunteer for 24 hours a month to comply with the requirements

Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Other states have also put requirements in place..either work itself or job training and their rolls have dropped.
I see nothing wrong with it as it is helping the poor to get out of poverty and those that want to will participate in the programs.

It's like "hand a man a fish" or "teach a man to fish" analogy.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,791 times
it's so amazing how much Americans hate the poor in this country. We don't know why the numbers dropped from 12,000 to 2,000. No one asked these folks if they found jobs, did they even have access to the services the are having them do, Maine isn't necessarily a small state and I'm damn sure it has a lot of government services centralized in areas those without transportation cannot get to. What makes this worse is even if a person is able to work himself or herself out of the SNAP Program there, they are not eligible to reapply for 3 years. What does one do if they have a temp job? What if a person's hours are cut back? What if a person gets ill or injured and can't work? Seriously what was 12,000 people to the government of Maine? How much money was that? I support the requirements cause that was the only way I could get the $40 I get now. But we have to think about implications and how other states will take steps even further. You never what would happen to you and God forbid if you got to end up in the welfare line

Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
it's so amazing how much Americans hate the poor in this country. We don't know why the numbers dropped from 12,000 to 2,000. No one asked these folks if they found jobs, did they even have access to the services the are having them do, Maine isn't necessarily a small state and I'm damn sure it has a lot of government services centralized in areas those without transportation cannot get to. What makes this worse is even if a person is able to work himself or herself out of the SNAP Program there, they are not eligible to reapply for 3 years. What does one do if they have a temp job? What if a person's hours are cut back? What if a person gets ill or injured and can't work? Seriously what was 12,000 people to the government of Maine? How much money was that? I support the requirements cause that was the only way I could get the $40 I get now. But we have to think about implications and how other states will take steps even further. You never what would happen to you and God forbid if you got to end up in the welfare line
Doesn't that also happen to non welfare workers as well ?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 PM

593 posts, read 668,707 times
Americans dont hate the poor, Americans hate people that surf through life scamming the system. OMG were asking able bodied people to volunteer or get job training for free money, how is that fair? Well its fair b/c not only are we putting money in their hands short term, were also putting life/work skill in their life long term. Sounds like a win win situation to me!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Americans dont hate the poor, Americans hate people that surf through life scamming the system. OMG were asking able bodied people to volunteer or get job training for free money, how is that fair? Well its fair b/c not only are we putting money in their hands short term, were also putting life/work skill in their life long term. Sounds like a win win situation to me!
I said was for the program but there is a hatred towards them especially on a generalized basis. Why do you think so many people applauded this program? Yes working or volunteering is awesome for a return for benefits but because we don't know why these people are not there, does not imply that they were leaching off anything. We need statistics , results, calculated numbers on what they are doing now and why they are not on welfare. Cause all this does is further strengthen the stereotype of the poor on welfare.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
Welfare should NOT be a way of life. It's a "stop gap" measure for a small amount of time, until you "get on your feet"...if you make no attempt to support yourself, you should not expect the general population to support you.

This is why government welfare should be stopped totally. Let charities take on the temporarily disadvantaged. They KNOW how to budget their available funds, and they know how to make sure they aren't giving charity to those who don't truly need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events