Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
And you know this... How?
He doesn't.

Maine has no shortage of poor because it's still really easy to be on benefits. There is a steady flow of drug/alcohol addicts being bussed into the state often through Bangor to take advantage of how easy it is to get the welfare programs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:18 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Are u that naive that you don't think it happens?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Thing is, those people have moved on to nearby states to take advantage of those taxpayers.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Big business doesn't create jobs. They create profits. Those are often the result of cutting jobs or moving them overseas.

Consumer spending creates jobs.

A big problem in keeping these programs from being temporary is that they punish people too quickly as they make more. Earn .25 more an hour, lose a dollar causing people to avoid that happening.

The programs need to be overhauled allowing for more help when people are falling down (it's easier to ease the landing than wait till they hit bottom) and design a program that has more steps to it to guide them off the program.

It's not just the lazy. Some of the programs have gotten too generous.

Working for a property manager last year, he had someone on city housing. They paid $1400/month for the single guy to live in a three bedroom apartment. That's 75% of my mortgage on a 15 year note for a 3800 sq foot house.
Not sure about you, but a poor man never gave me a job. The "eat the rich" mentality in this country only serves as a bitter excuse to fail. Companies such as Apple, GE, Ford, Toyota, Oracle, do create jobs. To say otherwise is just wrong.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
You're talking about people who are so down on their luck or who just don't have it together enough to manage basic things - like have a reliable running car, readily available child care, be able to stick to a schedule. I would think that the majority of the drop in eligible recipients is because these people just can't jump through the hoops required to stay on welfare.
Down on their luck? Or ignorant and lazy?

Check this video to get another glimpse into the average welfare applicant in NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeAFDh6dzk

Old 04-11-2015, 02:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Down on their luck? Or ignorant and lazy?

Check this video to get another glimpse into the average welfare applicant in NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeAFDh6dzk
How can you say these people represent the average welfare applicant/recipient in NYC? You couldn't possibly know that. There are thousands of people receiving all sorts of welfare/assistance in NYC. Seems to me you chose this video to validate a view you've already held.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I'll also add that the woman who made this video went out trying to make a certain film and she did it. Again, she is just perpetuating something she already believed.

Also, may I direct you to 1:47 of the video:

Interviewer: Why aren't you working right now?

Welfare Recipient: Because of my background. Once you go to jail, its hard to get a job.

Later in the video this same man says, "I just want to get a check." Seems like he is messing around with her because he knows what she is doing.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not sure about you, but a poor man never gave me a job. The "eat the rich" mentality in this country only serves as a bitter excuse to fail. Companies such as Apple, GE, Ford, Toyota, Oracle, do create jobs. To say otherwise is just wrong.
Those companies won't hire unless you're out buying things.

My little growing future real estate empire wouldn't do any business without someone needing housing.

My recently opened plumbing company wouldn't have any work without someone needing plumbing services prompting me to hire a plumber. I wouldn't have done so had there not been a demand from consumers for such services. They give him the job, I simply manage and respond to their need.

My assistant wouldn't have a job without people needing my services.

Companies fill needs.

Consumers make the demand for jobs.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 04-11-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 03:34 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Those companies won't hire unless you're out buying things.

My little growing future real estate empire wouldn't do any business without someone needing housing.

My recently opened plumbing company wouldn't have any work without someone needing plumbing services prompting me to hire a plumber.

My assistant wouldn't have a job without people needing my services.

Companies fill needs.

Consumers make the demand for jobs.
and people get the money to pay for these things from..................................... Yep, from their JOBS......... from big businesses.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
and people get the money to pay for these things from..................................... Yep, from their JOBS......... from big businesses.
who get their money from people out spending money...

its a circle.

one won't exist without the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events