Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You do understand that many of those who didn't receive the benefits weren't able to because they could not participate in the work/volunteer program. You can't, if you don't have transportation or the money to pay for transportation, or if you're elderly, or if you're in bad health. Or if you already work but get paid so little that you qualify for food stamps (WalMart employees).

So I would expect the numbers to drop dramatically for that reason alone.

There are some freeloaders and frauds, for sure. There are frauds in every group of human beings, whether it's lawyers, politicians, CEOs, corporate executives, Medicare recipients, food stamp recipients, whatever.

But to base a program on the assumption that most in the group are frauds in mean in spirit and is just an excuse to cut the program. They KNOW that many cannot participate in a work/volunteer program.

Odd how the article doesn't mention this, or that the OP doesn't. They seem to assume that almost all of the recipients are frauds. Statistics don't bear that out.

So....on to cutting the tax subsidies for Exxon, I hope? One of the largest corporations in the world doesn't need our subsidizing. Now THAT'S some big bucks. If we want to save money, that's where to look for it. Unless, of course, you just want to attack poor people. Your choice on which way to go: Save money by cutting tax subsidies to big corporations, or attack poor people and save a few pennies and cause suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 AM

99 posts, read 180,887 times
[quote=justtitans;39156416]This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits*

Very interesting. I think they may be on to something.

Its a great idea. However, the dirty little secret is that if a big state like CA, TX or FL attempted this the retailer association in each of the States would throw a fit.
Some of the big grocers in the States above generate a 1/4 of their income from SNAP recipients.
They wont give up too easily.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Its a great idea. However, the dirty little secret is that if a big state like CA, TX or FL attempted this the retailer association in each of the States would throw a fit.
Some of the big grocers in the States above generate a 1/4 of their income from SNAP recipients.
They wont give up too easily.

It won't happen in Texas because Texas didn't sign up for the waiver program.
And the program ends next year so no state will get any waivers from the USDA on this and SNAP for these people go back to a 3 month lifetime limit.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ver_Status.pdf

Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You do understand that many of those who didn't receive the benefits weren't able to because they could not participate in the work/volunteer program. You can't, if you don't have transportation or the money to pay for transportation, or if you're elderly, or if you're in bad health. Or if you already work but get paid so little that you qualify for food stamps (WalMart employees).

So I would expect the numbers to drop dramatically for that reason alone.

And another poster who didn't bother to read the article before commenting.

The elderly, the sick, disabled, and those with dependent children are excluded.

As for transportation, you could do this in 2 days per month. You mean to tell me someone couldn't find transportation for just a couple days each month? Amazing they are able to find a way to get to the grocery store to spend the food stamps.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 AM

99 posts, read 180,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It won't happen in Texas because Texas didn't sign up for the waiver program.
And the program ends next year so no state will get any waivers from the USDA on this and SNAP for these people go back to a 3 month lifetime limit.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ver_Status.pdf
Right. Because the retailer association wont let it happen or would certainly be a loud voice against it. Like my earlier post stated, losing any revenue for them is a bad idea.
I sit in quarterly meetings with the Texas retailer association. I know their tendencies fairly well.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 AM

66 posts, read 73,301 times
Well, i think it's very good idea! Because, as we can see, huge percent of recipients can work and can easily find a job, not only to himself, but to all family.
hope that it will become nationwide and soon our economic problems will be solved!
Hope that Obama's administration will not decline this idea!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Right. Because the retailer association wont let it happen or would certainly be a loud voice against it. Like my earlier post stated, losing any revenue for them is a bad idea.
I sit in quarterly meetings with the Texas retailer association. I know their tendencies fairly well.
Did you not look at the chart I posted ?

Texas didn't take the waiver so they weren't part of this program.
This was a temporary 8 year program from the USDA that extended SNAP benefits to single able bodied people.

It has nothing to do with the retailer association.
The program expires next year.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I believe you will note that the bill passed the House with 34 Dems against it and all 178 Repubs voting against it, as well. That wasn't a Republican controlled House.......

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act
Ah, yes, you are correct. I forgot that Republicans did not take control of the House until later in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thank you, Governor Lepage! My only problem (with the cited to article) is that the picture doesn't seem to be representative of what you'd see outside of a Maine welfare office; Maine is overwhelmingly white and, as another thread pointed out with pictures of people lining up outside of actual Maine welfare offices, this is reflected in the makeup of welfare office lines.
Yup. People need to note that Maine's white population is near or at 97%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Whilst I can understand that there are a few scroungers around who simply don't want to work, what concerns me are these points taken from that link:

So assuming that the unemployed still can't get a job, are there really 12,000 volunteer positions just lying around open for them to fill?
No. As anyone who has actually lived in Maine will attest, jobs as a whole are nearly nonexistent when compared to other States. It is possible to string enough hours together during tourist season most likely, but the rest of the year, what will they do?

To be frank, I think this is a push to either get people into vo-tech programs, a kind of If you build it, they will come situation where if these people learn a trade the jobs will come. And for the rest, I would bet the hope is for them to leave, perhaps "bothering" Massachusetts with their problems. Or maybe LePage is gearing up a workforce for when the Chinese come in to set up shop? (LePage has been meeting with Chinese business leaders on bringing business to Maine)

Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
I'll wait for the inevitable "this is unfair/violation of my civil liberties" lawsuit.

Should that fail, I'll understand and accept that Maine has retained its roots of 'Murica.

Because were the same thing to happen in California, it'd get shot down in a second. Not from retailers, but from illegals who would claim they can't get the jobs needed to retain welfare because they're not legal.

Which would cause the governor there to pass laws making welfare more easily accessible and last for longer.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
The main problem with the welfare program is not that a lot of "able bodied" poor people are on it, but instead that it rewards women who irresponsibly birth lots of children that they can't afford to have. If you're already poor to begin with to the point that you need government assistance, why the hell would you bring even one child into the world? Therein lies the problem. And why does the government feel it needs to reward irresponsible behavior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events