Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
And another poster who didn't bother to read the article before commenting.

The elderly, the sick, disabled, and those with dependent children are excluded.

As for transportation, you could do this in 2 days per month. You mean to tell me someone couldn't find transportation for just a couple days each month? Amazing they are able to find a way to get to the grocery store to spend the food stamps.
I did read the article. I didn't reference children in my response. The only inadvertent word in my response was the elderly.

"Sick" to them means a certain level of illness you can "prove." My sister, who was poor for years, was definitely sick, but would not have qualified as "sick" under some programs, like SSI.

She had COPD, bad arthritis in her knees such that she could stand for only limited periods of time, was morbidly obese, had metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.). She was a mess. She hadn't a penny to her name but got small amts of money from relatives for gas for her old beat up car, so she could look for work. There was no public transportation.

She went for computer training on a public program, but couldn't get it, because it required $10, which she didn't have. There wasn't enough time for me to mail her the $10 to register for the program.

So to do volunteer work would have been almost impossible for her. That was why she couldn't get a job. No one wanted someone who was clearly in a bad way health-wise. And what time she did have, she needed to concentrate on improving her skills or finding employment.

Medicaid covered her hospitalization for a staph infection. She was only able to get medication from Medicaid or if the drug co had a program where it gave it to poor people.

These people at the bottom live a life you have no idea of. Just getting up and functioning on a daily basis is difficult for many of them. Besides physical issues, they battle with depression and other mental problems, either original problems or as a result of their low lives at that point.

My sister would not have been able to participate in a volunteer program. She couldn't have afforded it money-wise or time-wise. Her transportation, her old car, wasn't even reliable. If she had been told she had to, in order to get the piddly food stamps they dole out, she wouldn't have gotten the stamps. She wouldn't have been able to handle the situation.

And that's the way it is for many of them, down there at the bottom.

And that is why almost NO people in Maine are getting the food stamps, now. It's not because they're all home smoking and eating and drinking and living it up and refusing to work, as some people seem to envision.

Someone should put you in their shoes for a year for you to see what it's like. It is shameful to browbeat the poor begrudge them a pittance in food stamps, when you're more than happy to shell out billions of dollars to Exxon and GE and BP.

The difference between Republicans and Democrats (I'm neither) is that Democrats lose sleep worried that someone somewhere is not getting what they should get, and Republicans lose sleep worried that someone somewhere is getting something for nothing.

BTW, my sister FINALLY got a part time job as a sitter watching homebound invalids. It paid next to nothing, but at least it paid. I think it was $5/hour. No benefits. Unfortunately, it came too late. Not long after she got the job, my sister, who would not have been recognized as "sick" under a govt program, had a massive stroke at a young age and is now an invalid in an old age nursing home for the rest of her life. With the govt paying for it.

There should be better programs to help people dig themselves out, when they've tumbled to the bottom. Most do want to better their situations. Most are not freeloaders. Most have made mistakes and suffered the consequences, and can't get out of the situation. Once you've made mistakes, people generally don't give you another chance (unless you're a politician).

So, yes....I know a thing or two about "these people," as another poster called them.

Last edited by bpollen; 04-13-2015 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'll wait for the inevitable "this is unfair/violation of my civil liberties" lawsuit.

Should that fail, I'll understand and accept that Maine has retained its roots of 'Murica.

Because were the same thing to happen in California, it'd get shot down in a second. Not from retailers, but from illegals who would claim they can't get the jobs needed to retain welfare because they're not legal.

Which would cause the governor there to pass laws making welfare more easily accessible and last for longer.
What is going down in Maine seems to only focus on food stamps. For what it is worth progressive Minnesota did the same thing ~ ten years ago. As I previously wrote; I don't think people understand just how poor Maine is and little jobs are there to begin with. "Welfare" may be sucking on the Fed Govs teet, but it is a way to pump money into the economy when so little of it exists there in the first place.

California's government structure is not unique to California (it's multitiered, for one), but iirc it is only shared by a handful of States. Unlike Maine, residents of California can vote on nearly everything. So if Gov. Brown decided that it was legal for illegals to collect food stamps, the issue can be put to a vote by the people. If the people say "no", it can be put to a vote a second time. And so on. Rather exhausting, sure, but honestly, I don't think such a bill would pass. Despite its financial woes, California is wealthy enough as it is and besides, many (if not most) of the illegals are probably working as migrant farm workers.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
People..this is a temporary program that is ending next year.
Maine decided to partially end it one year earlier.
If these people even as much as volunteer 6 hours a week they can stay on SNAP for another year.

But next year the program ends and it's back to 3 months lifetime SNAP for these people.

This temporary program lasted 8 years. If 7.4 million foreigners, including illegals found work in that time then I'm surprised that these 10,000 couldn't.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
There has never been a requirement that a state offer adults without children SNAP. From the USDA website:

Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search. This requirement is waived in some locations. With some exceptions, able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

So, I don't think Maine is doing anything substantially different, or even innovative with this. Waivers are issued for states with high unemployment. Here's a list of states that have requested and received waivers:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ers-FY2015.pdf

Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Asking the lying, lazy people to actually work for their free money??? That's insane!!!!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 PM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The fact that they chose to drop off of the welfare rolls when this change was implemented tells you all you need to know.
I don't tell u #$%^

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
This is utter BS! I DEFY you or anyone else to show me a place where help wanted signs are not out, but people don't want to WORK when they can get handouts equal to or more than they get paid for sitting home and doing nothing!!!! I can not tell you the number of people who feel "that is beneath me, I refuse to do that" about certain jobs that are looking to hire daily.

WPA was a PERFECT way to handle welfare, and should be re-implemented!

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So tell me why I havent had a single interview for the 132 jobs I've applied for and actually have the necessarily skills to work every single one of them.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
The more you type, the more you leave me continue to ask myself what's this country coming to?

So your answer is to just throw money at them and don't question it an don't expect anything in return, since it may cause a slight inconvenience to them. I mean, it's only the money that others had to work hard to earn, so just keep handing it out.
Of course from someone who has never been on welfare you can ignorantly say that. Yea they are just throwing money at anyone who applies...

Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
So tell me why I havent had a single interview for the 132 jobs I've applied for and actually have the necessarily skills to work every single one of them.
Its all about the resume...if it doesn't work, neither will you. There are plenty of skills that I have necessary to work certain jobs but I know I wouldn't get an interview if my resume didn't clearly define them or provide the proper work history. I remember in the movie 'Vacation' when Clark asks why Eddie has been out of work for 15 years or so and the reply is that he is holding out for a management position. Point is don't sit on your high horse, take what you can get and work your way up. Get your foot in the door somewhere, prove your worth and make connections.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Of course from someone who has never been on welfare you can ignorantly say that. Yea they are just throwing money at anyone who applies...
So I'm ignorant because I think the welfare recipient should be able to do an average of 6 hours per week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events