Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:05 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I'd be surprised if they don't have a Union. They are possibly setting a precedence by extending the benefits beyond what is required.
South Carolina does not allow collective bargaining for most public sector employees including police and firefighters. Given that it is a right to work state, even when a union does exist, it doesn't have much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:40 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,972,053 times
[quote=seain dublin;39191271]When you get fired for cause, not a layoff, your benefits end that day. Nothing to do with liberal or conservative.

Should he qualify for unemployment insurance as well? LOL. To get you up to speed, normally when you get fired due to your screwing up on the job, you don't get UE benefits, you don't get extended health benefits for you and your dependents, you don't get 6 weeks pay.

You get the boot!

When you get laid off through no fault of your own, you get severance, 30 to 90 days insurance coverage, and you're eligible for UE benefits.

Get the difference?

Reading comprehension course might help you understand that I never said anything about benefits of any kind in my post. Read it again and maybe you can "get the difference." I was saying that liberals are never satisfied with any attempt made to settle a situation. never mentioned benefits.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,003,564 times
MPowering"But when you're fired, shouldn't you get to keep your insurance if your wife is pregnant? "

Via COBRA, yes. Via your EX employer who ruled you were not worthy of employment, NO.

Your family situation should not play a role.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
SC Did Not Handle the case of Ex Officer Slager perfectly .

In this world of liberal political correctness, is it even possible to do anything near perfection? It does not matter how hard people try to do the best thing possible in any situation, there will be a liberal there to find fault.

I really hate it when people turn everything into Liberal vs Conservative. I do agree, however, that our world is headed in that direction. There won't be any independent thinkers left who examine every issue fairly and without prejudice.

This officer hasn't been convicted of anything yet. As a human being, I wanted to puke when I watched the way Scott was shot in the back. However, I do not want to live in a world where our entire sense of justice and "innocent until proven guilty" is cast aside because of modern day cell phone cameras and social media.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,003,564 times
We're not talking guilt or innocence, simply normal procedures of those fired for cause.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:40 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,434,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I really hate it when people turn everything into Liberal vs Conservative. I do agree, however, that our world is headed in that direction. There won't be any independent thinkers left who examine every issue fairly and without prejudice.

This officer hasn't been convicted of anything yet. As a human being, I wanted to puke when I watched the way Scott was shot in the back. However, I do not want to live in a world where our entire sense of justice and "innocent until proven guilty" is cast aside because of modern day cell phone cameras and social media.
This has nothing to do with his innocence or guilt, which he will address before a judge and jury. The man was fired from his job. Who gets fired and keeps employer covered benefits?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
This has nothing to do with his innocence or guilt, which he will address before a judge and jury. The man was fired from his job. Who gets fired and keeps employer covered benefits?
I don't know why people are so hot about this. His wife is 8 months pregnant and they're only covering her until she gives birth. (correct me if I'm wrong) If she were an elephant, I would understand the commotion, but she will be pregnant for another month at best.

Everyone is talking about fairness. Fair is a baseball term and doesn't exist in reality. I wonder how many people who are complaining about this are getting federal or state assistance.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-12-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 04:54 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,434,455 times
Quote:

Everyone is talking about fairness. Fair is a baseball term and doesn't exist in reality. I wonder how many people who are complaining about this are getting federal or state assistance.
In all likelihood, someone receiving federal or state assistance would be ok with others getting it too. Although I won't assume that you are.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,930 times
Quote:
I'm afraid they won't. People seem to think a short video from a cell phone is everything they need to convict.

Listen to Santana, the eyewitness, talk about the struggle on the ground. Scott fought with Slager on the ground. At one point, the eyewitness says Slager had total control of the situation. So the officer chased, tazed and caught up with Scott and probably tried to cuff him. What happened next?

Shooting someone in the back is reprehensible to me. Scott was a human being. But I don't understand all the comments and articles that defend what Scott did because "he was scared" or that "he didn't want to go to jail."

Whatever happened to the motto, "Hands up, don't shoot?"
No one is defending what he did - but what did he do that justified five bullets in the back? Nothing, from what we saw. The prevailing attitude seems to be "Oh, well. If he didn't run, this wouldn't have happened." That's the attitude that we have an issue with. "Shooting him was horrible, but...." The word "but" negates anything that comes before it.

Quote:
I don't know why people are so hot about this. His wife is 8 months pregnant and they're only covering her until she gives birth. (correct me if I'm wrong) If she were an elephant, I would understand the commotion, but she will be pregnant for another month at best.

They just set a precedence for terminated employees and opened themselves up to lawsuits. The amount of time that she will keep her coverage doesn't matter. And your last sentence just proves what you are about.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,529,527 times
Quote:

I don't want to live in a world where it takes a bystander with a camera to hold a police officer accountable for murdering a civilian.

The officer has been charged with murder. We have all seen the video. We all now have video evidence demonstrating the officer's lies. Michael Slager radioed in Taser claim six seconds after firing at Walter Scott | US news | The Guardian

I hope that Slager and Habersham are also charged with obstruction and misconduct. Habersham should also be fired and potentially charged as an accessory after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events