Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,731,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
first of all he has not been convicted.

second of all I don't get the wanting of revenge.

The cop has an 8 month pregnant wife and they agreed to keep her medical benefits until the baby is born.

If people want to push this someone will set up a Gofundme that will make the recent $850,000 to the pizza bigots look like 5 cents, and you will make his wife an instant multi millionaire.

It's not his wife's or his unborn baby's fault that his happened.
No, it's not the wife's or the unborn baby's fault.

This has nothing to do with him being convicted or not.

He was fired from his job.

I worked with a guy(and a nice guy at that) at a financial firm. He made a very careless mistake costing several hundred thousand dollars. He was terminated. He was married with two young children, but his benefits stopped when he was terminated.

That's what happens when you get fired for cause. Your health benefits stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,739,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The officer killed a criminal suspect in the line of duty.

The officer has been convicted of nothing. We consider a person innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. He has the same rights that everyone else has.
So if he's convicted of nothing and innocent, why did he get fired?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Not sure why seeing as how he wasn't even picking up the expenses for his family to begin with...................

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us...ans-death.html

Nobody is saying that the wife and baby should be entitled to the cop's salary or anything of that sort. While he's still going through the trial process I think its far from outrageous for the health benefits to remain in effect. His wife is eight months pregnant right now, she'll be giving birth before this case even goes to trial so to me I think some folks are just being ridiculously vindictive.

Yes her husband is a scumbag, yes he murdered someone in cold blood, nobody is denying that in the slightest. I also don't see how the wife is being "rewarded" for anything.

What about people who get laid off everyday in this country? Whose job goes away as does their medical benefits?

People who are told by HR well you can continue through COBRA, but that will $1,800 a month. When they just lost their livelihood.

You don't think any of them have a wife who is pregnant? Or a child or a husband/wife who has serious health issues?

Yes it is sad for the wife, but millions of Americans who didn't murder anyone have lost their health benefits due to job loss. And not because they were fired for cause, but due to a layoff.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Not in my experience. I have seen benefits last anywhere from 30 to 90 days before cobra was offered.

Not when people are fired for cause. You're talking about layoffs. Yes, some companies due offer as part of the severance package a month to three months coverage when there are layoffs.

They don't do it when you're fired for cause. Your terminated that day, no severance, no health benefits, and most likely no unemployment insurance.

An example, someone caught stealing. Company may not press charges but they will offer nothing and will fight if the person tries to file for UE benefits.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:56 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,443,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The taxpayers, the same ones who have been paying because we know who wasn't paying don't we?
Why would you assume his ex-wife was getting public assistance?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,027,988 times
Amen, seain. The employer is not responsible for the murderer's family. Benefits should end concurrent to his employment ending. (Unless he chooses to purchase COBRA).

Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,210,797 times
If the City wants to continue health care for the family, that is well and good. I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is the next unlucky shlub who gets laid off - only because he just happened to be the extraneous employee that month - 30 days before his wife is due to deliver.

Or the guy who accidentally erases a file and get fired right before his wife is due to deliver.

Will they extend their benefits too? I doubt it.

What I think the OP is saying is, why does this fired employee family deserve any MORE consideration AND FINANCIAL BOON than any others? I don't think he does.

And, yes, the Chief Of Police stated in a news conference that they CHOOSE to carry benefits for his - beyond what is customary or required.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-11-2015 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,027,988 times
Extension of coverage should not be done, if the town did not do it every single time before this, with terminated, arrested for felony, employees.

This could, and should , lead to lawsuits from ex employees if coverage was not extended for them.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 PM

9,634 posts, read 6,050,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
They didn't get the choice. There was no vote on this I saw.
The people voted in to represent the voters made the decision.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 PM

8,976 posts, read 11,859,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Extension of coverage should not be done, if the town did not do it every single time before this, with terminated, arrested for felony, employees.

This could, and should , lead to lawsuits from ex employees if coverage was not extended for them.
This sounds like a logical reason for stopping coverage. However, I am with the police chief on his decision. Isn't there enough suffering in this tragedy already? The unborn child shouldn't have to suffer. Besides, if his wife is without coverage and can't afford care, taxpayers will end up paying anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events